SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DO's matching in EM

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by ecf1975do, Mar 23, 2002.

1. ecf1975do

ecf1975do Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Maine
    HI there. I am curious what DO students matched
    at EM programs, both allopathic and osteopathic.
    I would also like to know if you took the USMLE

Thanks!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. hurl2002

hurl2002 New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Michigan
    I matched at University of Mississippi in a 2-4 program and will be doing an internship in Michigan at Genesys Regional Medical Center which has an excellent DO EM program. I did not take the USMLE but did quite well on COMLEX. It did not seem to be much of a problem. I was offered 9 interviews.

One of my good friends matched in Ohio at Case Western. He did better academically than I and did very well on the COMLEX and USMLE. He recived around 17 interviews.

With that said I don't think you need to take the USMLE to get a good residency (I even got an interview and was ranked highly by a CA program), but it definitely helps to increase your odds.

There are some good DO programs and most are not that hard to get into although this last year they seem to be getting more competetive. If you want to go DO try and do most of your rotations at the hospital you want to do your residency at.

4. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hurl, I sent you a private message... check it out in your "My Profile" area... Thanks.

5. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Hurl2002,

Could you expound some on the mAtch process you went thru? I am a second year DO student interested in EMED. I would prefer an allopathic 3 year residency, but am also interested in your track.

You are doing a DO internship, correct? Was that your first choice? Did you go thru the DO match first or the MD one later and then "scramble" for the internship. The combination of an osteopathic internship and an allopathic res. is interesting. Is the residency in JAckson? I seem to remember that that particular pprogram in Jackson was one of the only ones in the US to have unfilled spots a while ago, even after the scramble I think. I'm not sure if this was a "true" number of open spots or not - if so maybe it was due to location, being a 2-4 program, etc.

TIA for any advice.

6. ecf1975do

ecf1975do Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Maine
    to hurl 2002...

you mind sending me your email? i have a few
    questions regarding the DO path to an EM residency

much appreciated

eric

7. hurl2002

hurl2002 New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Michigan
    OK I will try and give you some advice on the whole match thing. First let me tell you about Jackson. Jackson regularly does not match all of their spots and there is a reason for this. The program director says he has that luxury because he is a 2-4 program. Last year they only had 15 people on their rank order list and ended up not matching all of the applicants. That left them 4 spots that they could fill through the advanced match (meaning applicants who have already completed their internship) this year. They only ranked 5 applicants, all of whom were AOA (not our AOA)and matched all 4 spots. As for the regular match they only ranked 20 applicants and matched them all. It is a good philosophy because they can get great people in their program.

Now on to the whole process. I have been asked before which programs are DO friendly, and after this year I don't know what the answer to that question is. It might be better asked what programs are not DO freindly because I think the list would be much shorter. In Mississippi I belive I am only the third or fouth DO they have taken, but I was not asked about my board scores, rotations, grades, or what a DO is. I think there are a few programs out there who still will not take DO's but they are few and far between. All I can say is do your homework. Go to the SAEM web site which has links to all of the programs and look at their resident classes<a href="http://www.saem.org/rescat/contents.htm" target="_blank">web page</a>

Another question you may ask is what about DO program directors? Sure they know what you are but I don't think there is much advantage. I rotated at two programs with DO directors and did not get into either.

How about signing outside the match? Doesn't Happen period!

As far as going through the DO internship match before the MD match I would not do it. The reason is this if you really want a three year program and you go through the DO match you will automatically be pull form the MD catagorical spots which will only leave you 20 program to apply to. I did not go through the AOA match and only wound up doing an AOA internship through a twist of fate. I am not really dissapointed though because now all of my bases are covered. I did apply to 1-3, 1-4, and 2-4 programs and as fate would have it I wound up in a 2-4 program (my #3 choice).

So here is my advice. First if you have not done well in school (ie top third of your class and probably 80th precentile on boards) make sure you have a contingency plan. The people I know who have gotten in to MD residencies are all stellar applicants. I'm not saying don't try but have another plan. There are a few very good DO residencies and they are also becoming much more competetive. Even if you have done well I would still have a contingency plan.

Second do at least one and if you can two rotations at institutions that have residency programs, and get leters of recomendation from them. I did two rotations at places that have programs and I was also able to do Peds EM as my 4th year peds and got some great letters. I would also say that if you can swing it, rotate at your dream program. You may be suprised that it really isn't what you thought it would be.

Third do your research.

Fourth apply to as many programs as you can. I applied to thirty programs, and got 9 interviews. Make your decisions on what you want in a program, and where you want to live. I would not base this on what programs are DO freindly but just find out which are not DO friendly.

Fifth go to as many interview as you can. I cancelled two because I could not afford to live in New York with a wife and two kids.

Finally be nice to everyone you meet. This might go without saying, but it is very important.

I hope this helps and if you have other questions feel free to ask. You can also send me a private message if you want an email reply.

8. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2001
    I am a ninja
    hurl offers good advice, but let me state that it may be wise to take the USMLE. I took both, and I believe it helped my ranking in programs substantially.
    To reiterate: rotate at programs you are interested.
    Apply to many programs. Attend many interviews ( I went to 10 and cancelled 2). Smile smile smile. Interview well and always speak positively.

9. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2001
    whats a good comlex score to make you competative for a good em program?

10. Freeeedom!

Feb 21, 2001
    I am a ninja
    80's-90's...the higher the better of course. The bad thing is that, if the program doesn't have a history of DO's in the program, your odds go down regardless of COMLEX score.

11. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Wow, thanks for your reply!

Is there any reason you chose the DO internship over an MD transitional year or whatever?

I have also heard that it is a good idea to register for the DO match even if you aren't planning on going thru it. That way you can always go back if you need to.

12. tonem

tonem Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 13, 1999
    USA
    hey freeeeeeedom where did you match?

13. Freeeedom!

Feb 21, 2001
    I am a ninja
    Wright State University.

14. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan 10+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Kentucky
    Freedom,
    Any particular reason why you did not want to go to Grandview in Dayton? Just curious since I may end up there in the future.