DOs mostly in which specialties? Which of these specialties use OMT the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicinaeDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which specialties and sub-specialties are DOs the most numerous in?

I'm assuming it is (in no particular order):

Family Practice
Internal Med
Pediatrics
Ob/Gyn
Psychiatry
Neurology
PM&R
Emergency Medicine
Anesthesiology

What about pathology, medical genetics, preventative medicine? What about various sub-specialties like Cards, GI, Heme/Onc and Critical Care, Pain Management, etc?

I know there aren't too many DOs in surgical sub-specialties, Rads/Rads Onc, and Derm. Although I know that there are a good number in these types of specialties because of the AOA residencies/fellowships.

Which fields could (and do) utilize OMT the most (apart from an OMM specialty)? Fam Prac, potentially other primary care fields, PM&R, Sports Med, Pain Management, Rheumatology, and Neurology? I know OMT can be applied to a lot of fields, but which field use it the most/can it be the most applicable?

Members don't see this ad.

Which specialties and sub-specialties are DOs the most numerous in?

I'm assuming it is (in no particular order):

Family Practice
Internal Med
Pediatrics
Ob/Gyn
Psychiatry
Neurology
PM&R
Emergency Medicine
Anesthesiology

What about pathology, medical genetics, preventative medicine? What about various sub-specialties like Cards, GI, Heme/Onc and Critical Care, Pain Management, etc?

I know there aren't too many DOs in surgical sub-specialties, Rads/Rads Onc, and Derm. Although I know that there are a good number in these types of specialties because of the AOA residencies/fellowships.

Which fields could (and do) utilize OMT the most (apart from an OMM specialty)? Fam Prac, potentially other primary care fields, PM&R, Sports Med, Pain Management, Rheumatology, and Neurology? I know OMT can be applied to a lot of fields, but which field use it the most/can it be the most applicable?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813819

The orange chart on the first excel page shows the % of DO's in specific specialties. That should at least answer a portion of your question.

thanks, hockeydr. but i was thinking more along the lines of actual practicing physicians. for example, how many practicing internal med DOs are there in the US, how many fam prac DOs are there currently in practice, etc. I know there was an AOA spreadsheet with some of this data, but I can't seem to find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
While this isnt really what you want either: here is the recent trend in AOA and ACGME residency matching (note: this may be exactly what hockeydr just sent. my apologies if so). Both matches represent roughly equal amounts of graduates

AOA: 22% Family Med
18% Internships
16.5% Internal Med
13.5% Emergency Med
6% Gen Surgery
6% Ortho Surg
Everything else is <4% Including peds, psych and obgyn

ACGME: 20% Internal Med
19% Family Med
14% Peds
11% Emergency Med
8.5% Anesthesiology
7.5% Psychiatry
Everything else is <7.5%

While this isnt really what you want either: here is the recent trend in AOA and ACGME residency matching (note: this may be exactly what hockeydr just sent. my apologies if so). Both matches represent roughly equal amounts of graduates

18% Internships
16.5% Internal Med
13.5% Emergency Med
6% Gen Surgery
6% Ortho Surg

19% Family Med
14% Peds
11% Emergency Med
8.5% Anesthesiology
7.5% Psychiatry
Everything else is <7.5%

A lot of DO's apparently do internships or traditional rotations...

18% Internships
16.5% Internal Med
13.5% Emergency Med
6% Gen Surgery
6% Ortho Surg

19% Family Med
14% Peds
11% Emergency Med
8.5% Anesthesiology
7.5% Psychiatry
Everything else is <7.5%

Probably due to not matching in MD match, or matching into advanced year residency programs.

Anyways, FP is prolly your best bet, and PMR for OMM use.

Surprised PMR is < 7.5%

hey guys, I'm looking for stats on DOs specializing in Geriatrics. I know some GPs do Geriatrics without really doing a residency in it...but there is a specialty in Geriatrics, right?!..

hey guys, I'm looking for stats on DOs specializing in Geriatrics. I know some GPs do Geriatrics without really doing a residency in it...but there is a specialty in Geriatrics, right?!..

I didn't know there was a residency or even fellowship in Geriatrics.

I noticed on the link sent by someone up above that only 3 DO's got into ortho residencies? Also, it shows that there were only 23 residency positions available for both MDs and DOs? This cannot be accurate right?

I didn't know there was a residency or even fellowship in Geriatrics.

Geriatrics is a 1 year fellowship following a FM residency.

:thumbup:. I should also add that most programs accept IM applicants also.

Is it really even necessary? My primary care physician is only board certified in IM and works primarily with the elderly.

Is it really even necessary? My primary care physician is only board certified in IM and works primarily with the elderly.

I think it's more for research or to gain an academic appointment in the field. Most doctors primarily see the elderly, at least where I'm from, with the exception of peds or ped sub-specs. It may also be beneficial if you want to become an "authority" on a certain disease or disorder that is prevalent in elderly populations.

I think it's more for research or to gain an academic appointment in the field. Most doctors primarily see the elderly, at least where I'm from, with the exception of peds or ped sub-specs. It may also be beneficial if you want to become an "authority" on a certain disease or disorder that is prevalent in elderly populations.

True, because in itself it seems like geriatrics would be a relatively weak sub-specialization as the elderly need a broad spectrum of treatments you would never be able to preform ( neurological, psychiatric, cardiac, etc.).