DOs now Recognized in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fox800

Go to the ER now to see if you have coronavirus.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought you guys/gals might be interested to know that the Australian Medical Board is now recognizing American D.O.'s as fully qualified physicians. Good news for anyone interested in working over there. :thumbup:

http://www.medicalboard.gov.au/docu.../9953&dbid=AP&chksum=ngHTVp/2eNatVJryiQMbPw==

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

tumblr_lkc176pVQb1qc6t0k.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Question:

When treating a chapman's point in the Southern Hemisphere, is it necessary to use clockwise rotations as opposed to counterclockwise rotations?

Question:

When treating a chapman's point in the Southern Hemisphere, is it necessary to use clockwise rotations as opposed to counterclockwise rotations?

This may actually be a question on a comlex exam. Does this mean that the left torsions will now be right torsions?

That's pretty cool, didn't even realize that was in the works!

Survivor DO

As far as I know pay is only slightly lower. If anyone has more information, it is certainly welcome!

As far as I know pay is only slightly lower. If anyone has more information, it is certainly welcome!

From what I understand, you work fewer hours and there's basically no worrying about getting sued (at least nothing like the US).

Medical practitioners who have been awarded the degree of DO USA and who are registered by the Medical Board of Australia may use the protected title of ’medical practitioner‘. There are penalties under the National Law if they use the title ’osteopath‘ or use any title (for example, ’osteopathic physician‘) that could induce a belief that they are registered by the Osteopathy Board of Australia. Any individual who wishes to use the title ’osteopath‘ in Australia must be registered by the Osteopathy Board of Australia and meet that Board’s registration standards.
Well then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question:

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before JAOA publishes an article on it.

Practicing in Australia in the future is something I fantasize about now and then.

Paying double taxes would really suck.

So we're now... Physicians there but not osteopaths nor can we use the word our title.

Ha. Now that's hilarious.

From what I understand, you work fewer hours and there's basically no worrying about getting sued (at least nothing like the US).

Yep pretty much!!!!!
I almost went to med school in Australia, but I chickened out and went DO. I would love to work and live in Australia

That literally is incredible.. as in I can't even believe it.

This whole time I thought we were already able to practice there..

I think it was on a case-by-case basis. At least that's what the AOA made it sound like.

Everything can bloody kill ya in australia. Screw that noise.

Well, so can everything in Arizona, to name a few, the 110+ heat, scorpions, cacti, coccidiodes, illegal immigrants with firearms/Mexican cartels, etc...

Where is your sense of adventure? I may go for a few years. Will be fun :) I skiepped the DO match because I did not want to limit myself. I am a transplant in the US too. So, what's another move?

Well, so can everything in Arizona, to name a few, the 110+ heat, scorpions, cacti, coccidiodes, illegal immigrants with firearms/Mexican cartels, etc...

There's some truth to this, but when you think about it, AZ actually has it pretty good. No hurricanes, no tornadoes, low likely hood of earthquakes, no ice-induced freeway pile ups (at least not in Phoenix or Tucson.) Come on, it's not like a haboob is going to kill you.

There's some truth to this, but when you think about it, AZ actually has it pretty good. No hurricanes, no tornadoes, low likely hood of earthquakes, no ice-induced freeway pile ups (at least not in Phoenix or Tucson.) Come on, it's not like a haboob is going to kill you.

No natural water source?

Haboob carries coccidiodes spores, which can grow inside of your brain and kill you.
I have actually heard stories of people being washed away by flash floods, so yeah....to each of their own

Haboob carries coccidiodes spores, which can grow inside of your brain and kill you.
I have actually heard stories of people being washed away by flash floods, so yeah....to each of their own

The only ones that get washed away by flash floods (who dont live in the middle of nowhere) are the ones that drive their cars into washes against advice. In fact, we now have a stupid driver law to charge people the bill for being rescued after driving their cars into them against warning.... and yes, that is the actual name of the law.

I wonder what degree initials they will allow in Australia. Since "DO" means a traditional osteopath, will it be "DO-USA"?

I wonder what degree initials they will allow in Australia. Since "DO" means a traditional osteopath, will it be "DO-USA"?

That would be super awkward. And funny at the same time.

Are American MD's who practice in Australia given "honorary" use of MBBS? If so I'm sure it would be the same for American DO's.

I just visited Australia, no one uses the titles after their names, It's Dr.Blah Blah Cardiologist etc etc. You get the picture

MBBSs are technically not doctors, just sayin.... (sarc.)

Anyways, if not for there being so many random doctorate level degrees in the US, I feel that's the way it should be, because this would be much less confusing for the patients.

Question:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: