DO's on ER? Hmmmmm.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fisgig

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, for DO's to have a place on ER, the producers would have to portray there uniqueness to even have a reason for such an addition to the ER cast. This uniqueness would of course be OMM....but is this a good thing? To the lay public watching the show, they may get the wrong impression that OMM is the only thing DO's do. A large percentage of DO's don't even use OMM. Is OMM even practical in the world of medicine today? A.T. Still created OMM as an alternative form of treatment at a time when mainstream medicine was subpar.

Members don't see this ad.

fisgig.... WELCOME TO SDN!!! Have you done your homework on OMM? Have you read other people's comments on the thread you now title yours with an additional "hmmmm?" If you have read those comments then your question need not be answered.

Yes Popoy, I have done more than my fair share of homework on OMM. I am a third year at TCOM. I have never become more disenchanted with a practice (OMM)in my life. The day we were being taught rib raising techniques (you will be taught this Popoy when you start school)a student who was doing an OMM fellowship at TCOM was presenting his findings on rib raising techniques to faculty. His year-long study showed rib raising to have no beneficial effect on pts. receiving treatment. This is just one of many inconsistencies you will find when learning OMM. Cranialsacral techniques is probably the mother of all unfounded practices in osteopathic medicine. Believe me, I was just as excited about learning OMM as you were when I started school....now, a lot of my friends want to avoid it as much as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow.... That sounds discouraging.... Is TCOM, a good place to learn OMM? From what I gather from students from DMU, where OMM is a strong curriculum of the school, students like it and would like to learn more about it.... Thanks for sharing that.

Whoa Fisgig,

I've heard a lot of students tell me you just have to take some parts of OMM with a grain of salt. But it sounds as if you think OMM (all of it) is a bunch of *#/!^. Is there anything useful? It also sounds then as though TCOM's OMM instructors need to revamp their teaching methods. It sounds as if they are just not getting across to the class with the info. they teach. Has anyone brought this to their attention?

Figsig,

I totally agree. I entered DO school specifically to learn from who I though were the "best" at manual medicine and to do research. Coming from a PT background, I was used to good research and biomechanics out the wazoo. Instead I got "do this techniques because AT Still used it" or "it works for me" ...yadda yadda...no outcome studies, no blinded studies.
Plus, some of these techniques! oy. Cranial? Literally give me a break. Chapman points? Please. Sternal Movement disfunctions? What is this crap?
I have met people from almost EVERY DO school say the same thing. It is less of a science and more of a "teaching the old ways" type of tradition.
I think it is helpful, but let me tell you, I could have learned that stuff in half the time and used more genetics or pathology class!

This is the great thing about going to a DO school, it gives you more choices in how to treat your patients. Yes, many DO's choose not to use OMM. But there are always those patients whom nothing ever seems to work with traditional medicine... so you have to seek out other treatment methods. Fibromyalgia is a great example of this. Having gone through the first year of OMM, there are things that I have found to be useful and other things that I can't imagine ever using. All it does is give you another treatment option.

What specialties to are most common by DO?

I'm not even sure exactly what your question is....... AND how'd you manage to resurrect an 8 year old thread?

Blah, I cannot spell!

What specialty are you considering?
:banana:

8 year old thread, nice! I had to wonder why this was up considering ER is finally dead...

You know...it's funny.

I always thought that TV shows should take the OPPOSITE approach regarding DO's.

For example:

House hires a new doc to replace Kumar. That new doc is a DO. A patient asks, "what's a DO?" DO says, "it's the same as an MD, but we learn some manipulative stuff too." The end. Just mentioned in passing, as it were.

Or, a DO just needs to go on Oprah. What if her current Dr. Oz was a DO? She could do a whole show on DO's and how awesome we are...

Members don't see this ad :)
You know...it's funny.

I always thought that TV shows should take the OPPOSITE approach regarding DO's.

For example:

House hires a new doc to replace Kumar. That new doc is a DO. A patient asks, "what's a DO?" DO says, "it's the same as an MD, but we learn some manipulative stuff too." The end. Just mentioned in passing, as it were.

Or, a DO just needs to go on Oprah. What if her current Dr. Oz was a DO? She could do a whole show on DO's and how awesome we are...

God that episode was weird and sad.

House is like a DO, just mentally.
Rather than manipulate joints, muscles and bones, he manipulates people. In the end as a result, he brings harmony and balance, with a dose of sarcasm to boot..
:D

Yes just like a DO... except also what he does is based in ummm sound science backed by solid reproducible research in peer reviewed journals.

Yes just like a DO... except also what he does is based in ummm sound science backed by solid reproducible research in peer reviewed journals.

Really??? I saw an episode where he used a root tea to treat someone they assumed had radiation poisoning. I also think he's a ****ing TV character.

Yeah :rolleyes: Like the re-run I saw last night. He put a guy (LL Cool J, of all people) with prison tattoos (which supposedly contained heavy metals) into an MRI. Dude was in some PAIN. That MRI would have been 100% worthless. And, why didn't he just sedate him? :confused:

And, there is plenty of OMM research. More and more being done every day. While I am sure that not every single OMM technique will be proven effective, there is more than enough evidence in favor of the modality.

Are you kidding me? Do you watch this show?! If any physician operated the way House does, he/she would be behind bars.

I just wanted to throw this out there since it's been a long time since I've seen ER. Exactly how often does ER display post nominal letters anyways? Exactly how many of them do we know are MDs? I agree, though, that the practical thing would be to label everyone an MD and be done with it.

I just wanted to throw this out there since it's been a long time since I've seen ER. Exactly how often does ER display post nominal letters anyways? Exactly how many of them do we know are MDs? I agree, though, that the practical thing would be to label everyone an MD and be done with it.

There were 2 DO's at the ER I worked at. If you didn't look at their charts and see the "DO" on the computer print out, you'd never know the difference.

Yeah :rolleyes: Like the re-run I saw last night. He put a guy (LL Cool J, of all people) with prison tattoos (which supposedly contained heavy metals) into an MRI. Dude was in some PAIN. That MRI would have been 100% worthless. And, why didn't he just sedate him? :confused:

And, there is plenty of OMM research. More and more being done every day. While I am sure that not every single OMM technique will be proven effective, there is more than enough evidence in favor of the modality.

LOL..Your kidding right!! Sample sizes of 10 do not count as a good study, sorry to break the news.

Kind not on subject, but you do know that one of the orginal technical advisors for ER was a D.O? in fact the intro video at Western's program had noah wyle and some of the other stars ( he was a westernu grad).
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2637545/
http://wsprod.westernu.edu/news/nr_detail.jsp?id=2280&groupname=AllNews

A DO I shadowed from Western told me he went to med school with this guy. He said he was always really interested in film and such, and was attending film classes at USC while at Western. Apparently they were setting up ER around this time and someone from SC who knew he was a med student suggested him to the ER people. Freaking awesome if you ask me. I'd love to do some sort of advising like that.