1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

DO's-staff privileges at MD hospitals?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by MSUCOM2003, Jul 2, 2000.

1. MSUCOM2003

MSUCOM2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,

I was wondering if any of the Osteo docs frequenting this site can give me some information on what it takes to get staff privileges at allopathic hospitals. As a DO, do you need to have taken the USMLE? Have finished an ACGME residency? Board certification by MD boards? Also, any student input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You just need to be licensed in that state and in with many hospitals, board certified in whatever it is you practice (ie internal med, peds, etc). This is all that matters as far as I am aware. Whether you have a DO or an MD is of no consequence.

4. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Hi,

In the hospital I am doing my rotations (predominatly MD), the director of the ER is a DO. They have many FP and IM docs that are DO, and one surgeon.

Billie

5. Lee

Lee Sleestack
    Staff Member Administrator 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    The only difference in applying for hospital privileges is that the DO physician checks the DO box and the MD physician checks the MD box. [​IMG]

Actually everything is the same for MDs and DOs when it comes to hospitals, HMOs, etc....