DOs to be on Discovery Channel- may29 -8pm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyivan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-- FYI:

The Discovery Channel is starting a new series called "911- The Bronx", and it's about the ER at St Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx- which is staffed by 90% DOs! ...also has a great Emergency Medicine Osteopathic Residency Program. One of the residents told me it was the second busiest trauma center in NYC.

It starts this Thursday, May 29 @ 8pm.

Should be interesting. Set the Tivo.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all-- FYI:

The Discovery Channel is starting a new series called "911- The Bronx", and it's about the ER at St Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx- which is staffed by 90% DOs! ...also has a great Emergency Medicine Osteopathic Residency Program. One of the residents told me it was the second busiest trauma center in NYC.

It starts this Thursday, May 29 @ 8pm.

Should be interesting. Set the Tivo.

interesting. you think theyll talk about osteopathic medicine? i'm guessing not.

That place is supposed to be a freak show, and a great place to learn medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
TIVO SET! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

.....wish i had a tivo right about now.....

someone please remind us (me) on that day

tivo scheduled :)

moment of truth is also starting again. thank god for tivo

Thats awesome ... as funny as it sounds, little stuff like this is what osteopathic medicine needs to really gain public knowledge.

Thats awesome ... as funny as it sounds, little stuff like this is what osteopathic medicine needs to really gain public knowledge.

for some reason i dont think the show will mention osteopathic medicine very much, if at all. maybe they'll show the DO initials when they introduce a doctor for the first time, but i wouldnt be shocked if it was nothing more than that. and if that is all they do, itll be up to the viewer to 1) notice the different initials and 2) care enough to google what they mean.

maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

for some reason i dont think the show will mention osteopathic medicine very much, if at all. maybe they'll show the DO initials when they introduce a doctor for the first time, but i wouldnt be shocked if it was nothing more than that. and if that is all they do, itll be up to the viewer to 1) notice the different initials and 2) care enough to google what they mean.

maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

I mean, I'm not expecting them to dedicate a section of the show to discussing osteopathic medicine, but since it does have to many DO residents, interns, and attendings, I can't imagine the term won't come up a few times at least in discussing schools attended (the docs usually mention this in their little spot light segments on the other ER discovery health shows) and from there, maybe someone will drop a little bit of an explanation. Plus, if every single doc on the show has 'DO' after his/her name I would assume that some viewers might be curious and investigate. It's a good thing either way.

I mean, I'm not expecting them to dedicate a section of the show to discussing osteopathic medicine, but since it does have to many DO residents, interns, and attendings, I can't imagine the term won't come up a few times at least in discussing schools attended (the docs usually mention this in their little spot light segments on the other ER discovery health shows) and from there, maybe someone will drop a little bit of an explanation. Plus, if every single doc on the show has 'DO' after his/her name I would assume that some viewers might be curious and investigate. It's a good thing either way.

agreed. what we should really do is email Oprah. if we can get oprah to endorse a show about osteopathic medicine, that'd be just what the profession is lookin for. theeeen during the show she mentions 911-the bronx and all is well. pretty soon, everyone wants to be a DO and all the patients want to see DOs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tivo set! I told a couple of attendings at my work and suggested a viewing party lol!

agreed. what we should really do is email Oprah. if we can get oprah to endorse a show about osteopathic medicine, that'd be just what the profession is lookin for. theeeen during the show she mentions 911-the bronx and all is well. pretty soon, everyone wants to be a DO and all the patients want to see DOs.

Hahah yeah that would be good. I'm still waiting on the sitcom where the DO practices OMM by day, and fights crime with his ninja manipulation skills by night. I always thought a show like scrubs would easily incorporate a DO episode in also. A little inner monologue from JD about DOs and then have some guest star who is a DO in the hospital.

St. Barnabas is also a NYCOM rotation site.

Can we have Oprah go into how awesome this is AFTER I get accepted? I need all the help I can get.

lol @ this thread in general.

Someone mentioned that they'd only show and discuss DO in passing. Duh... that's how the medical profession treads MD vs DO anyway... no real difference just a quick conversation piece possibly.

If you go to Oprah and tell her, "tell everyone about ostoepathic medicine" and she does, no one will watch the show. She'd need to endorse it as a really cool medical show... keep it on a basic level of coolness and people might actually watch and learn something.

hmm, i dont get it, the schedule says its 8,9,10 on May 29th are episodes 1,2, and 4...what happened to 3? and i thot OP said it was every thursday...? confused? :confused:

hmm, i dont get it, the schedule says its 8,9,10 on May 29th are episodes 1,2, and 4...what happened to 3? and i thot OP said it was every thursday...? confused? :confused:

Must not have been exciting enough, or they talked about OMT techniques a little bit too much and Axed it. :laugh:

tcom studs can also rotate there

Your mom rotates there. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I saw that too ... weird, who knows? Maybe they are trying out these episodes first before they really make it a reoccurring show on the network or something. It should be good though, the ER shows on discovery health are usually very exciting.

wait what? so it lists that it will be on for 3 hours thursday night?? starting when?

PCOM & NYCOM students are the majority I think

wait what? so it lists that it will be on for 3 hours thursday night?? starting when?

it list it for may 29th from 8-11 and may 30th...doesn't say every thursday OP!!! quite confusing...bleh

DO's are allowed to be on TV now?

Civil rights have come a long way.

What is that supposed to mean?

It means grow a thicker skin and don't get offended so easily. 98% of whatever TT says is sarcastic, so take it in stride.

It means grow a thicker skin and don't get offended so easily. 98% of whatever TT says is sarcastic, so take it in stride.

and the other 2% is completely erotic. You can try to grow a thick skin and avoid that 2% ... but I doubt you will be able to.

I prefer thinner skins for erotic things.

Wow... thats cool! I did an EM rotation at this program last October. When I was there I saw a camera crew shooting a few times. When I asked another student if they knew what it was all about she told me that she was told an episode of Trauma life in the ER was shot there a few months before and they needed some extra filler footage... people walking / standing around in the dept.... I wonder if it was actually this show??? I remember looking up after writing a pt note and seeing the camera pointing at me... standing there... looking bewildered! I doubt my face will show up on the program though.... I mean that's a whole lot of ugly to show on TV:laugh:

Anyway's... for what it's worth.... I hated this program! I thought it was like a zoo. Guess that's why Discovery Channel is interested in it!

The NY Daily news has an article on the show.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...8_in_911_the_bronx_reality_tv_gets_tough.html

"This is not a medical show," Gasek said. "It's a reality show set in a hospital. We have heroes. We have real-life scenarios."

and

As of now, there are no plans to produce more than the six episodes available. Discovery will air three back-to-back, hour-long episodes tomorrow.

while I cannot miss lost, I will DVR this show and watch it after!

The NY Daily news has an article on the show.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...8_in_911_the_bronx_reality_tv_gets_tough.html

"This is not a medical show," Gasek said. "It's a reality show set in a hospital. We have heroes. We have real-life scenarios."

and

As of now, there are no plans to produce more than the six episodes available. Discovery will air three back-to-back, hour-long episodes tomorrow.

while I cannot miss lost, I will DVR this show and watch it after!

Discovery does this with a lot of shows. I always feel like I start watching shows on the network, then find out there are only 5 or so episodes in existence. I still love discovery health though :love:

I don't have a TiVo, but a big ol post in note on the side of the TV will remind me to watch it. Thanks for giving me something to watch tonight!

I am watching this right now... Wow, this is incredible. Very graphic.

The show is alright very similar to trauma: life in the ER, but without all the filler in between. This place actually reminds me a lot of the ER where I work both as far as looks of the place and the patient population.

I thought the first episode was great.

i THINK...THINK...i saw the letters DO on a white coat....maybe. they tried to hide it by placing the stethoscope over it, but i figured out their camouflage tactics.

p.s. i'm only half way through the first episode.

ha you can find DO on the coats all over the episode

haha the dude in the blue hat and shirt in the first episode was crackin me up.

St. Barnabus has an AOA EM residency program. you probably saw an awful lot of DOs on the coats.

Most of the people they actually talked to are the attendings, I don't think they talked to many of the residents.

Do you know if its possible to find it on the net. ^^ I'm in Japan... golly I wish I could watch it.

Yeah, I've only watched the first episode so far, but every white coat I saw had DO on it. Great show. Really had a lot of interesting cases.

anyone with a tivo can actually download the program to their computer for archiving. i cant sleep so I am gonna go watch the recording.