DOs who applied ACGME EM...Question for you

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by MelMcT2009, Mar 9, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Medical Student
    How many programs did you apply to, and how many programs did you get interviews at? If you don't mind sharing your board score (or ballpark range), that would be very helpful. I'm (and I'm sure many others) trying to gauge how many programs I should apply to based on my stats. Thank you!

The_Forever_Student likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Do you mean EM, or IM?

4. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Based on his other posts in the EM forum, I'm guessing it was a typo. But I'll wait for him or her to answer.

5. racerwad

racerwad 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    I applied to 0.

There are numerous posts in the ROL thread to give you an idea of what board score X might get you in terms of invites extended. There is also the Charting Outcomes data which is super helpful.

I know that you want: board score X = apply to Y number of programs +/- (regional correction factor + SDN program desirability index). Sadly, it just isn't that clear.

gamerEMdoc and AlgernonMed like this.
  6. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Medical Student
    Oops, EM! Fixed!

7. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Medical Student
    Yeah, unfortunately there are only a few posts from DO's on that ROL thread! Was hoping I could get some more feedback here

8. ajh1983

ajh1983 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    250s/650s step/level 1, 550 level 2 (had a kid that month)
    3 away/audition rotations, for sure honored 2 of them, unsure on the 3rd
    Applied 42, couple top tier, mostly middle, 1 safety
    13 invites. Little bit from each tier which was nice.
    Ranked 8 programs. Got some genuine sounding personal correspondence from my #1 and #2 stating I was ranked to match.

Overall I expected a lot more action considering my strong app and unique life experiences. It's a really competitive specialty now and the regional / DO bias can be very real for some people.

MelMcT2009 likes this.
  9. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Medical Student

Thanks for the response! 13 is great! How do you determine what programs are upper tier, middle tier, and safety? I've already made my list, and the way I went about it was programs with 0-2 ish DOs were "reach". Programs with >35% were safety, and in between were middle of the road. I wasn't sure how else to go about it really?

10. FirefighterDoc

FirefighterDoc MS-4 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    You might get a better response next week after the match. I'll post then. That way you'll get the full story.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

alliswells88 and MelMcT2009 like this.
  11. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Medical Student
    Perfect! Thank you, and I hope match day treats you well!

alliswells88 and FirefighterDoc like this.
  12. wook

wook Just a hairy situation 10+ Year Member

second star to the right, and straight on till mor
    Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Wish I could help, but it was too long ago.

Racerwad made some good points. There is not one formula. It depends on the programs you are interested in. When I went through, I did not get interviews at places which other folks with lower stats did. It may have been where I'd lived, or attended school (i.e. location not the school itself). I got interviews at other places that I thought I had no chance. This probably changes year to year depending on the students themselves as well as the program as it changes.

Thanks.

Wook

racerwad and gamerEMdoc like this.
  13. ajh1983

ajh1983 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Matched this am. I'm happy to help out any DO students looking to apply ACGME.

14. FirefighterDoc

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Ditto. Will post when I find out where. Like I said, I'd rather give you guys the whole story. Congrats ajh1983

15. gamerEMdoc

gamerEMdoc Associate PD; EM Clerkship Director

Attending Physician
    Feel free to send me a message and hit me up anytime if you want more directed advice based on your stats. Id be happy to help.

16. FirefighterDoc

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    DO student. 205/222. President of my schools EMIG. Prior Firefighter/EMT and prior ER tech experience. Some national EM leadership experience. Applied to 60 programs, 10 of which were dual or newly ACGME accredited. I was split when I first was setting up auditions which match I would do. So I did 3 MD aways and 2 DO aways, and both of those wound up being dually accredited. On top of those aways, I did "shadowing shifts" whenever I could. Wound up shadowing at 3-4 more places between audition shifts. I got 2 straight DO interviews and 10 at ACGME/Dual programs. Of those I had either rotated or shadowed at 8 of them. Two of those I received interview invites the week after "shadowing", so I know that it helped. Wound up matching Central Michigan University, the very first place I rotated at. I had a great time there and really jived with the residents and attendings. It took a lot of cold calling and emailing to schedule these "shadowing" shifts, but I know that it definitely helped me get interviews in the end.

Edit:also went back and attended conference at places I rotated at when my schedule allowed to show them I was still interested and to keep my face fresh in their minds later in the year.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017 at 9:47 AM
  17. wook

wook Just a hairy situation 10+ Year Member

second star to the right, and straight on till mor
    Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty

This also demonstrates motivation and interest when you set it up like you did! Strong work!

Congrats!!

Wook

racerwad likes this.
  18. FirefighterDoc

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks wook!

19. alliswells88

alliswells88

DO applicant - step 1: 220s no step 2. Comlex ~600s for both.
    Applied to ~90.
    20 aoa 70s acgme . 8 aoa interviews 18 acgme or dual. Went on 4 aoa and 14 acgme . Matched to number #1 at a university program. Couldn't be happier !! PM with questions . As a side note I don't suggest you not take step 2 - I think having a good score would be very helpful !!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

FirefighterDoc and MelMcT2009 like this.
  20. gamerEMdoc

gamerEMdoc Associate PD; EM Clerkship Director

Attending Physician
    Holy hell. You win the award for best effort. Good god, you earned your match spot!

FirefighterDoc likes this.
  21. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Medical Student
    WOW, This is awesome! Always good to see when hard work pays off. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck!

FirefighterDoc likes this.
  22. FirefighterDoc

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks MelMcT and gamerEMdoc. I think the fact that I matched was vindication enough. That being said, it's always nice to have people acknowledge when you work really hard on something.

Moral of the story to anyone reading this, if you have low board scores it's not a nail in the coffin. Bust your ass, get yourself out there and show them how good you are. Be enthusiastic and friendly, and know what you're doing. Kick ass on auditions and get good SLOEs. You have more control in this process than you think.

23. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Medical Student
    I think it's a great lesson for all of us, really! I've seen posts here on SDN from 240+ people saying they were struggling for interviews, which is often pretty discouraging for others to read because it worries us. I don't necessarily have low scores, but I am certainly going to learn from your story and get out there and hustle to earn a spot! You da real MVP!

24. futureemdoc91

futureemdoc91

Awesome, job, man. I'm super impressed with your work ethic and dedication. That will continue to pay off for the rest of your life, I am sure of it! Central Michigan got a good one.

Hoping to get some other DOs to chime in - Starting the process of VSAS now and hoping to hear from some who didn't have step 1 and their experiences!

25. OnlyOneZlatan

OnlyOneZlatan

Medical Student
    Couples matched w/ SO who matched IM
    Midwest DO school
    Step scores - 227/236, no CS
    Comlex scores - unreported
    SLOEs - 2 HPs (only sent 2 of my 4 SLOEs), 1 at a highly-regarded county program, 1 at a university program
    Applied to 80 programs (all ACGME), invited to 26 interviews, had 16 interviews w/ 2 while on aways, ranked only 14
    Rank list had 21 combinations based on strength/favorite programs rather than location
    Matched at our #9 combination which was my idk #5-8 favorite program (it was hard to rank after my top 2 honestly) and she matched at her #2 in the same city.

Couples matching as a DO was not the easiest and you have to be very realistic about your application. If you're couples matching, you truly need to be ready to go just about anywhere. EM is more competitive than other specialties so you will become the limiting factor in the application process if you're couples matching with someone that's in slightly less competitive specialties like IM, anesthesia, or primary care.

Avalanche19 and AlgernonMed like this.

About the ads