DOs who applied ACGME EM...Question for you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I was there when they did. That's when the message came down from above - "don't".
Wow, I was looking at Duke psychiatry, and they'll take DOs, but require them to have taken Step 2 and Step 2 CS, which is, pardon the expression, insane, particularly the CS exam. Only a couple of dozen DO students a year take CS, and they're basically all in EM or highly competitive specialties, so it's a de facto DO ban. If they're that unfriendly in psych (though they have taken DOs), I can't even imagine how unfriendly they are in EM.

So I know the general consensus for DO students to match EM is to take step one. But I wanted to know how much it will hurt my chances if I only take step 2? My COMLEX I is mid 550s and I decided to wait a bit to take step I cause I wasn't scorning where I wanted to on NBMEs. I was under the impression that if I had gotten what I had gotten on the NBMEs it would hurt more then help. So my question is should I take this test and chance doing badly (hard to study for this test during rotations) or just forgo it and take step 2 (a test which I know I'll do better in as it's much more clinical)?

So I know the general consensus for DO students to match EM is to take step one. But I wanted to know how much it will hurt my chances if I only take step 2? My COMLEX I is mid 550s and I decided to wait a bit to take step I cause I wasn't scorning where I wanted to on NBMEs. I was under the impression that if I had gotten what I had gotten on the NBMEs it would hurt more then help. So my question is should I take this test and chance doing badly (hard to study for this test during rotations) or just forgo it and take step 2 (a test which I know I'll do better in as it's much more clinical)?

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm just now an M4, but I think you really need step 1. A lot of the places I applied to for away rotations won't even let you rotate unless you have a step 1 score. I think it would be an uphill battle without it. However, there are a lot of DO programs that just switched over to the ACGME match, and I'd think that those programs would accept just a COMLEX (not sure though). You can also check on programs websites and see if they require a Step 1 score. My vote is to study during rotations and just bite the bullet. Definitely don't take it before youre ready, because you're right, a bad score isn't going to help you. Hopefully someone else can chime in!

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm just now an M4, but I think you really need step 1. A lot of the places I applied to for away rotations won't even let you rotate unless you have a step 1 score. I think it would be an uphill battle without it. However, there are a lot of DO programs that just switched over to the ACGME match, and I'd think that those programs would accept just a COMLEX (not sure though). You can also check on programs websites and see if they require a Step 1 score. My vote is to study during rotations and just bite the bullet. Definitely don't take it before youre ready, because you're right, a bad score isn't going to help you. Hopefully someone else can chime in!

As a DO at an ACGME program, take both Step 1 and Step 2. I agree not to take it too soon and risk a bad score, but not having either just silly IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, I was looking at Duke psychiatry, and they'll take DOs, but require them to have taken Step 2 and Step 2 CS, which is, pardon the expression, insane, particularly the CS exam. Only a couple of dozen DO students a year take CS, and they're basically all in EM or highly competitive specialties, so it's a de facto DO ban. If they're that unfriendly in psych (though they have taken DOs), I can't even imagine how unfriendly they are in EM.

Why is that insane? If you wanna train at a ACGME program, take the same exams that USMDs have to take. It's not unfair IMO, you're not banning DOs you're just holding all your applicants to the same standard and being explicit about it.

Why is that insane? If you wanna train at a ACGME program, take the same exams that USMDs have to take. It's not unfair IMO, you're not banning DOs you're just holding all your applicants to the same standard and being explicit about it.
Yeah, except that Step 2 CS is a BS exam to begin with, hence why no other program in the entire country that will acceot DOs accepts the equally BS COMLEX II PE. I get taking Step 2 CK, that's fine, but the CS is garbage.

Yeah, except that Step 2 CS is a BS exam to begin with, hence why no other program in the entire country that will acceot DOs accepts the equally BS COMLEX II PE. I get taking Step 2 CK, that's fine, but the CS is garbage.

fair criticism. If they at least made it cheaper I'd hate it less because I do think there is value in ensuring anyone who graduates med school can at least take an H&P.

fair criticism. If they at least made it cheaper I'd hate it less because I do think there is value in ensuring anyone who graduates med school can at least take an H&P.
But that's the thing- the DO version of the same exam tests the same thing for just as much money. Forcing any DO interested in Duke to spend four figures plus ONE an exam that will literally only matter to that one residency is kind of a de facto disqualifier unless you've vot so much money kicking around that you can spend around 2k on the app for one oarticular residency that isn't friendly to graduates from your school to begin with.

Even if they did, unless you are a very strong applicant and/or rotated there, what are the odds you will match there? I believe they have taken 1 DO in the past, you gonna bank on being #2?
Looking back through old posts. If any DO is gonna break that ceiling it's probably gonna be the one you replied to...

Is there an updated list out there of programs that are not DO friendly/never taken a DO?