DOs who matched into ACGME Fellowships 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sab3156

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start this thread to highlight where DOs have matched this year for fellowships.

I'll start it off. I only care about Ophthalmology so...

My wife just told me that two DOs matched into Harvard/MEEI fellowships (Glaucoma and Medical Retina). Things are only looking up for DOs, even at MEEI. :cool:

Here is the link:
Fellowship matches

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Let's start this thread to highlight where DOs have matched this year for fellowships.

My wife just told me that two DOs matched into Harvard/MEEI fellowships (Glaucoma and Medical Retina). Things are only looking up for DOs, even at MEEI. :cool:

Here is the link:
Fellowship matches

That is amazing

Reactions: 2 users

Here is the link:
Fellowship matches

Just add to that. The one who is doing MedRetina Fellowship did their optho residency at Weill Cornell. He's listed as an MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just add to that. The one who is doing MedRetina Fellowship did their optho residency at Weill Cornell. He's listed as an MD.

Yeah I laughed when I saw that page a while back. I bet whoever typed that up had never heard of a DO before.

Probably haha. Any back story behind him getting into Cornell for optho residency?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No clue, probably just really good stats and good research, along with impressing the program by being an actual human being instead of robot.

EDIT: Actually, the Cornell grad matched in Glaucoma, the Bronx Lebanon grad matched in Medical Retina.

Last edited:
The important thing to note here is that they both did MD residencies. I'd be very surprised to see any DO coming out of a formerly DO ophthalmology program match any fellowship that isn't awful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I know in cases like these we're at the level of either outliers or Lotto winners, but every year, it sure seems like their numbers increase.

:banana: Your like got me the "50 likes" SDN trophy. Thank you! LOL. :banana:

I was just tallying up how my grads are doing and for the past ten Classes, slightly over 50% have gone into Primary Care, and slightly under 50% have specialized. This is rather divergent from the typical DO grads, who are about 60-66% PC/33-40% specialties.

Our Dean likes to say that our students self-select or Primary Care. This suggests otherwise. Either that, or our Class of '17 really skewed the curve!

I'm going to guess that they had strong connections at the program in order to match. Not going to play the odds that a DO matched at NYP for Ophtho.

I was just tallying up how my grads are doing and for the past ten Classes, slightly over 50% have gone into Primary Care, and slightly under 50% have specialized. This is rather divergent from the typical DO grads, who are about 60-66% PC/33-40% specialties.

Our Dean likes to say that our students self-select or Primary Care. This suggests otherwise. Either that, or our Class of '17 really skewed the curve!
Yeah but did you follow those who matched into peds and/ or IM to see if they did a fellowship? I'm gonna guess no. This would drastically change the % PC and % specialized.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to guess that they had strong connections at the program in order to match. Not going to play the odds that a DO matched at NYP for Ophtho.

OR just maybe, like at Pitt and U of Chicago and Drexel and all the other places that have taken DOs into Ophthalmology, they did really well on Step 1 and did plenty of research and did strong away rotations to prove themselves, and at the end of the day, despite all the emo pessimists telling them otherwise, they didn't let their degree dictate to them that they had to enter primary care. Same thing with other competitive specialties like Ortho...

This thread is talking about fellowships anyway, and you'd be insane to think that the two DOs matching into MEEI weren't competing against people from BPEI/Wilmer/Wills/other top tier Ophtho programs/etc. for those fellowship spots... this is Harvard Medical School... Mass. Eye and Ear... Boston. Everyone wants to be here.

Reactions: 1 users
OR just maybe, like at Pitt and U of Chicago and Drexel and all the other places that have taken DOs into Ophthalmology, they did really well on Step 1 and did plenty of research and did strong away rotations to prove themselves, and at the end of the day, despite all the emo pessimists telling them otherwise, they didn't let their degree dictate to them that they had to enter primary care. Same thing with other competitive specialties like Ortho...

This thread is talking about fellowships anyway, and you'd be insane to think that the two DOs matching into MEEI weren't competing against people from BPEI/Wilmer/Wills/other top tier Ophtho programs/etc. for those fellowship spots... this is Harvard Medical School... Mass. Eye and Ear... Boston. Everyone wants to be here.

Didn't know there were DOs at those top institutions for ophtho. I stand corrected. Interesting to see how certain specialties black ball DOs while others seem to be more guarded, while not outright denying them.

Didn't know there were DOs at those top institutions for ophtho. I stand corrected. Interesting to see how certain specialties black ball DOs while others seem to be more guarded, while not outright denying them.

Technically, these aren't considered top-tier programs, but they are good. Anyone (MD or DO) attaining any ACGME Ophtho spot should be proud. You are right in a sense though, because Ophtho is still extremely competitive for DOs to get into. But we are making a lot of progress in getting our DO degree into these programs. Once one or two DOs go through a program and make a good impression, the biases tend to be reduced. At least it seems that way.

It would be interesting to see how Mayo and CCF, two top-tier institutions that have DOs in several very competitive specialties (Derm, Neurosurgery, Ortho, Vascular Surgery, etc.), would feel about DOs in their Ophtho programs.

Oh wow, Harvard matched DOs? I guess it is an uncompetitive program/no one wants to go there/opthalmology is a dying field.

Reactions: 6 users
Any DOs match into cardiothoracic or trauma fellowships?

Trauma might be the most uncompetitive surgical fellowship. CT is more competitive but not in the same league as surg onc or peds surg. DOs match both on a fair basis, with trauma being a very common match.

Matching an integrated CT spot is extremely competitive however. You need to be a rockstar.

Trauma might be the most uncompetitive surgical fellowship. CT is more competitive but not in the same league as surg onc or peds surg. DOs match both on a fair basis, with trauma being a very common match.

Matching an integrated CT spot is extremely competitive however. You need to be a rockstar.

Makes sense. So without doing the integrative CT program, it would be general surgery and then 2 years of CT, so 7 year residency? Oy Vey!