Dosimetry- Job outlook, which route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snrussell09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched this forum and read every thread I could find regarding this field and career but most of them are from 2006-2010 and there has to be some updated info out there and hopefully some of the people that completed programs, are in programs or are working in the field can give me some information.

My biggest concern is the job market and it's outlook, I haven't been able to find much information of Dosimetry itself but a ton of information on Radiation Therapy and it seems like it is extremely difficult to find jobs as a Radiation Therapist from reading different forums and threads on "Indeed" because of saturation and the amount of programs there are, therefore the amount of job hunters there are.

I know this is more specialized and requires a different/higher level of education to get into so I am wondering if the job market is better or worse or about the same? Where, geographically do the most jobs seem to be. I live in Texas, near Dallas. I never thought about moving, I'm 21 and in college, I'm majoring in MIS but this isn't really something I want to do. I have two years before I can graduate, roughly and it seems about the same for Dosimetry.

I also know that it is helpful and sometimes required to be a Radiation Therapist before going into Dosimetry and I wouldn't mind doing that because I do think it would be helpful working with patients and having that knowledge but the programs take about 2 years and then finding a job, apparently, can take 6 months-2 years which is not something I want to go through. Are there degrees in Radiation Technology that can insert you into this field, or specific Dosimetry programs or something like that rather than doing Therapy beforehand? Do you know of any programs in Texas, or what the job outlook is in Texas or nearby?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the length.

Members don't see this ad.

I work as a Radiation Therapist and a Medical Dosimetrist. But I live in Canada where radiation therapists are the dosimetrist. Here we don't seperate the two areas like its done in the USA.

From my knowledge, yes, the job market is saturated with therapists right now especially down there in America.

You can still go straight into Dosimetry as from what I remember, there are a programs in the USA that offer a Dosimetry program.

Unlike Therapy in the US, Dosimetry has many openings.