Employment & Professional Networking DOT: Employment Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted728766

Hello everyone!

I'm a prospective OT graduate student interested in the employment options afforded by a DOT degree. If anyone is currently pursuing or has a DOT degree, would you mind speaking more to the available employment options? I imagine it's more management and policy-focused than actually practicing OT (as you would with a Master's in OT), but if anyone could speak more knowledgeably to this, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that the last year of an OTD is focused on innovating in contexts (helping to establish the profession in new areas, or finding new populations/approaches in established practice settings). A cheaper way to do this could be doing an OT residency, which gives you research experience for innovating in a practice area while getting paid (albeit, you get paid about half of what a new OT would make, and you wouldn't have the OTD behind your name if that matters)...it's essentially the exact same information as an OTD. Also, residencies often lead to more desirable jobs if you're willing to sacrifice a year to do them. That's what I've heard, at least.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree. Further, the OTD is not meant to be an entry level degree. An employer is not likely going to be impressed by you having a OTD and no work experience as an OT. They won't roll out the red carpet for you and hire you into management due to having an OTD. You need to pay your dues and demonstrate promise and hard work: they will usually select you and request that you go for another degree, perhaps the OTD. Your job almost always pays for it.

I think the degree is of dubious quality as far as academics are concerned. Why not get a real research degree- a PhD if the goal is academics. I am directing the comment at those who see an OTD as a path towards an academic career.
The problem with a phd is that you have to do meaningful research before getting accepted. In most cases, an OTD at an institution with research relevant to your goals will help you out more. A lot of masters programs seem to do a lot of qualitative projects when our field needs more solid quantitative studies. Whether or not that's worth an extra years of tuition for the experience is up to the individual, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's all good and fine... but doing a OTD is not really a sensible option since 1- you're paying for that extra degree for no reason since you won't get hired for a management position right out of school, 2- your work will pay for it if you want to get it most likely, 3- You wont make ONE red cent more as a staff OT with an OTD vs a Master in OT.

I'm at a loss for why anyone would want to pay for that degree, which I see as pretty useless for an entry level clinician. If you want to be on the academic track: go do research before you graduate and apply to PhD programs or MA/MS's in related healthcare fields of study. Don't waste your money on a useless degree....
I agree that the undergrad research is important, but a second masters in a health field is an extra year and more money than an OTD. Also, the curriculum for entry level is set up better for long term research than a post professional (since post professionals are often online or hybrid).

I think that the last year of an OTD is focused on innovating in contexts (helping to establish the profession in new areas, or finding new populations/approaches in established practice settings). A cheaper way to do this could be doing an OT residency, which gives you research experience for innovating in a practice area while getting paid (albeit, you get paid about half of what a new OT would make, and you wouldn't have the OTD behind your name if that matters)...it's essentially the exact same information as an OTD. Also, residencies often lead to more desirable jobs if you're willing to sacrifice a year to do them. That's what I've heard, at least.

Do you have some more info on residencies? I was pretty interested in doing one myself but I haven't seen much info about them floating around?

Do you have some more info on residencies? I was pretty interested in doing one myself but I haven't seen much info about them floating around?

The AOTA has a list of residencies on their website if you do a Google search. Not very many are listed, but it looks like some major hospitals also offer residencies for OTs (Johns Hopkins, UChicago, maybe more).

The AOTA has a list of residencies on their website if you do a Google search. Not very many are listed, but it looks like some major hospitals also offer residencies for OTs (Johns Hopkins, UChicago, maybe more).
Annnnnnnndddd sticky note.

Some are specific to a setting...for example, research hospitals often have a residency in a department (e.g. burns, neuro, etc...) that will pay you to do a research project and work for a year or so in the setting. It gives you experience in the setting and research experience, but you don't get paid that much. Some residencies exist through organizations (e.g. VA) and can place you in one of several settings. I would ask advisors in your program to look into residencies if you're interested...usually the fieldwork supervisor has information since they're connected to various settings.

I would avoid spending more money for a OTD than for the MOT. There is no reason to do so unless you wish to be a professor, and even then a PhD is highly preferred by departments across the country. If you want a OTD your work may pay for it once you start and show progress. Getting a OTD prior to much work experience is a waste of money; you will not make one penny more but you will have that degree after your name.

I think if you look at how the PT profession progressed, you will see the groundwork for a similar timeline in OT. In 2000, the PT equivalent of ACOTE set a goal that by 2020 only those with a Doctorate could be practicing PTs. In preparation for that, as of this year the DPT is the required entry-level degree, 4 years from now anyone without a Doctorate in PT will apparently not be able to practice.

ACOTE has made the recommendation that by 2025 entry into the OT profession should be OTD only. If the same PT timeline holds for OT also, then by 2029, everyone will need a doctorate to continue as a practicing OT. Currently an OTD is only 3-6 months longer than most MSOT programs (although it is considerably more expensive). BUT, if I graduate with only a masters after roughly the same amount of time and then try to obtain my Doctorate while I am working (and getting married, having kids) I am not sure I would ever finish my degree. It will take longer, 2+ yrs probably instead of 3-6 months. The couple of OTD distance programs I looked at would cost around $23,000 excluding the cost of plane fare and hotel stays for the campus visits several times of year. I am personally torn between a Masters and a Doctorate right now.

I think if you look at how the PT profession progressed, you will see the groundwork for a similar timeline in OT. In 2000, the PT equivalent of ACOTE set a goal that by 2020 only those with a Doctorate could be practicing PTs. In preparation for that, as of this year the DPT is the required entry-level degree, 4 years from now anyone without a Doctorate in PT will apparently not be able to practice.

ACOTE has made the recommendation that by 2025 entry into the OT profession should be OTD only. If the same PT timeline holds for OT also, then by 2029, everyone will need a doctorate to continue as a practicing OT. Currently an OTD is only 3-6 months longer than most MSOT programs (although it is considerably more expensive). BUT, if I graduate with only a masters after roughly the same amount of time and then try to obtain my Doctorate while I am working (and getting married, having kids) I am not sure I would ever finish my degree. It will take longer, 2+ yrs probably instead of 3-6 months. The couple of OTD distance programs I looked at would cost around $23,000 excluding the cost of plane fare and hotel stays for the campus visits several times of year. I am personally torn between a Masters and a Doctorate right now.
I think it's closer to 6 mos.-1 year. Personally, my OTD is going to be around 9 mos. more (3 years). And I've seen OTDs that are around 1.5 years for an online one. However, I think an OTD is better because you get to get more involved with what's going on in the program within that extra time. I'm hoping to get an RA position at my program. I assist in a lab now, and since I'm only doing it for a year, I feel like I'm missing out a bit.

ACOTE has made the recommendation that by 2025 entry into the OT profession should be OTD only. If the same PT timeline holds for OT also, then by 2029, everyone will need a doctorate to continue as a practicing OT.

I do know that by 2025 people will be required to earn an OTD, but anyone who earned a MOT in the past will be grandfathered in.

I do know that by 2025 people will be required to earn an OTD, but anyone who earned a MOT in the past will be grandfathered in.
How do you "know" that. That is not how it is working with PT.

ACOTE initially proposed that requirement, however it was determined (as of August 2015) that the entry-level standard will remain at either a master's degree or doctoral degree.

I'll weigh in as a working OT. I have a master's degree and have been working in OT since 2009. In my experience, employers are looking more for experience and that is what will get you a pay raise or if you specialize in some kind of certification like I eventually became trained in lymphedema. Having an advanced degree will not usually lead to more pay or going right into management if you have no experience. Plus, you will have a higher student loan bill with an OTD. Think about that plus a mortgage, your spouse's student loans and paying for kids (welcome to my life lol!). For me personally, being Lymphedema certified is more marketable and I won't probably go on for an OTD unless my employer pays for it.

Reactions: 3 users
ACOTE initially proposed that requirement, however it was determined (as of August 2015) that the entry-level standard will remain at either a master's degree or doctoral degree.

Ok, not exactly a vote for grandfathering but I hadn't seen this before. This is good news! To play devil's advocate, if you look at the reasons; 1 would have to change in the industry, 2 and 3 are being addressed as we speak with more and more OTD institutions applying for and gaining accreditation and 4 is pretty much tied to 1. It looks like they may have taken notes on the PT progression and are trying to avoid some of the pitfalls. "The overarching justifications for the Council’s decision are: (1) limited outcomes differentiate master’s and doctorally prepared graduates; (2) the academic infrastructure of many institutions is not sufficient to meet the occupational therapy doctorate standards, especially with respect to faculty resources and institutional support; (3) the readiness and capability of institutions to deliver quality fieldwork and experiential components of the program is constrained; and (4) retaining two entry levels allows for flexibility of the profession to assess and address the changing health care needs of individuals and populations.

I'll weigh in as a working OT. I have a master's degree and have been working in OT since 2009. In my experience, employers are looking more for experience and that is what will get you a pay raise or if you specialize in some kind of certification like I eventually became trained in lymphedema. Having an advanced degree will not usually lead to more pay or going right into management if you have no experience. Plus, you will have a higher student loan bill with an OTD. Think about that plus a mortgage, your spouse's student loans and paying for kids (welcome to my life lol!). For me personally, being Lymphedema certified is more marketable and I won't probably go on for an OTD unless my employer pays for it.
:) thank you

How do you "know" that. That is not how it is working with PT.

That is exactly how it's working. If you already have a BPT or MPT you can still practice, however all new students moving forward will be required to get a DPT, at least in the U.S. There has been no change that prevents the practice of Physical Therapy by BPTs or MPTs at this time. Just as there has be no change that prevents the practice of Occupational Therapy by OTs without masters at this time. It's an option not a requirement for them to go back for their DPT.

That is exactly how it's working. If you already have a BPT or MPT you can still practice, however all new students moving forward will be required to get a DPT, at least in the U.S. There has been no change that prevents the practice of Physical Therapy by BPTs or MPTs at this time. Just as there has be no change that prevents the practice of Occupational Therapy by OTs without masters at this time. It's an option not a requirement for them to go back for their DPT.
This is correct. I work at a PT clinic and many of the PT's practicing have their MPT, not a DPT.

A friend of mine was amazed that for "only 6 more months" I could have a doctorate instead of a masters. To me, I care more about curriculum of individual programs (and becoming an OT, period) rather than the degree I'll ultimately get. But I'm applying to both types of programs simply because the doctorate is springing up everywhere. And regardless of what ACOTE says, it seems like the OTD will be the degree most grads will earn in the coming years. Obviously, I think a master's degree works just fine for me. But I think the field will move in that direction.

One setting where you will see a higher pay for a doctoral degree is in the school setting (at least in this state anyway). This is not to say that an OT with a doctoral degree working in the school setting will earn more money than an OT with a master's in a completely different setting, but within the school setting, the doctoral degree will help you earn a higher salary.

One setting where you will see a higher pay for a doctoral degree is in the school setting (at least in this state anyway). This is not to say that an OT with a doctoral degree working in the school setting will earn more money than an OT with a master's in a completely different setting, but within the school setting, the doctoral degree will help you earn a higher salary.

That is true--I forgot about that setting probably because I'm not in pediatrics lol. I have a friend who works in the schools and is getting her OTD for that reason. The schools do pay based on both experience and school so she will be in good shape with several years of experience under her belt and now the advanced degree.

Hello everyone!

I'm a prospective OT graduate student interested in the employment options afforded by a DOT degree. If anyone is currently pursuing or has a DOT degree, would you mind speaking more to the available employment options? I imagine it's more management and policy-focused than actually practicing OT (as you would with a Master's in OT), but if anyone could speak more knowledgeably to this, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

You should know by now that individuals who are not going for their OTD eat these threads up. I would suggest asking for advice from either an actual OT near you, or contact current OTD students/faculty members. They will give you a better perspective on paths you could possibly take. But do what YOU feel is the right choice, and keep in mind that many OTD programs give big scholarships, keeping the cost similar to an MOT program.