Double dipping?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runrunrudolph1

trauma surgery
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question. I'm starting some research with a surgeon for the next few months (unpaid, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.) My volunteer coordinator thinks I should sign in and out every day and receive volunteer hours for the time I am there (since it is unpaid.) Part of the research is that I will be doing some shadowing, OR time, clinic with the surgeon so my problem IS:

Would I cite this as research, volunteering or shadowing? or all three? I feel weird citing all three bc it feels a little like double dipping...

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

It's just research. Most research experiences for undergrads are unpaid.

Not only has this exact topic been discussed before, but the thread had the same exact title. The search function is your friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only has this exact topic been discussed before, but the thread had the same exact title. The search function is your friend.

I looked at the TA one I just felt it was a completely different situation. Thanks anyway though

I'd count it as research....which is a type of volunteering.

The term volunteering is used to talk about community service activities only. This is unpaid research.

...except when it isn't.

Drr?

Maybe it's "unpaid research" as far as the AMCAS is concerned...but anything unpaid is volunteering in my book. But yeah, i agree, it's research for the AMCAS...which is what I said.

It's just research. Most research experiences for undergrads are unpaid.

Not necessarily true...I don't know any fellow ugrads who conduct research for free

Most undegrads I know do NOT get paid for it. I know this person who does, but he's pursuing another degree, and he already has a degree in the field he is researching...

so most research is unpaid - otherwise it is a job - where u researched..

in any case, paid or unpaid, it can never be considered volunteering as that'll be a big stretch.

About shadowing, I think U should get another experience to cover for that (but shadowing is not a MUST).. double would be considered toolish..

if you're not being paid or given academic credit for it, then you're volunteering your time.

Most post was a response to this:
I'd count it as research....which is a type of volunteering.
I said this:
...except when it isn't.

It isn't volunteering if you're getting paid.

It isn't volunteering if you're getting paid.

Not to beat a dead horse here but, the OP said he's unpaid. But yeah, for AMCAS purposes: research.

I'll also concede that this specific question is less like volunteering than regular research. I did a couple years of unpaid lab work that was definitely volunteering, but this seems more like shadowing and looks like more of a favor to him than by him.

Not to beat a dead horse here but, the OP said he's unpaid. But yeah, for AMCAS purposes: research.

I'll also concede that this specific question is less like volunteering than regular research. I did a couple years of unpaid lab work that was definitely volunteering, but this seems more like shadowing and looks like more of a favor to him than by him.

yes very true. So what should I do about my volunteer coordinator wanting me to sign in and out of the volunteer office? I will be given credit for the volunteer hours, but I guess I just will not count them in on my AMCAS when I apply?

It is in the volunteer coordinator's best interest for you to sign in and out so that 1) the institution knows you are present (in the event of an emergency) 2) the coordinator's annual performance will include an accounting of all the hours logged by volunteers.

There is no reason not to log in and out. The AMCAS is another kettle of fish. I'd label this "research" but perhaps only averaging 38 hours per week and add "other" title: shadowing, 2 hours wk during the same period. (or how ever it splits out). This way you "get credit" with adcoms for research and shadowing.

It is in the volunteer coordinator's best interest for you to sign in and out so that 1) the institution knows you are present (in the event of an emergency) 2) the coordinator's annual performance will include an accounting of all the hours logged by volunteers.

There is no reason not to log in and out. The AMCAS is another kettle of fish. I'd label this "research" but perhaps only averaging 38 hours per week and add "other" title: shadowing, 2 hours wk during the same period. (or how ever it splits out). This way you "get credit" with adcoms for research and shadowing.

Brilliant. That is what I will do than. Thank you!!