double listing leadership and community service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I helped out at my temple since it was first built in 2006, but at various capacities. I was one of the initial volunteers and served as youth committee head for 2 years. Then when I transferred out of my local college, and have since been volunteering when I go back home and still organize an annual fundrasing event each summer. I've also won the "volunteer of the year" award. I was thinking of listing my committee head position as a leadership and put the rest of stuff as a in the community service category? But I want adcoms to know I wasn't a mere "volunteer" and actually still work as an organizing leader. Also the average hours works are vastly different based on week. If I just take a weekly average since HS it would be low, and that "metric" isn't really representative of anything. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Just put it all under one and specify the true hrs worked, etc. in the description. I would tag it as leadership and then in the description you can list the 'comm service' portions as well. Using 2 entries makes it looks like you're just trying to fill space IMO.

Basically I helped out at my temple since it was first built in 2006, but at various capacities. I was one of the initial volunteers and served as youth committee head for 2 years. Then when I transferred out of my local college, and have since been volunteering when I go back home and still organize an annual fundrasing event each summer. I've also won the "volunteer of the year" award. I was thinking of listing my committee head position as a leadership and put the rest of stuff as a in the community service category? But I want adcoms to know I wasn't a mere "volunteer" and actually still work as an organizing leader. Also the average hours works are vastly different based on week. If I just take a weekly average since HS it would be low, and that "metric" isn't really representative of anything. Any thoughts?
There are a few ways you could list this, but personally, I'd highlight the leadership components, maybe listing it under Leadership, using the dates of the most substantive 2-years of leadership for the header information (with the hours per week for just that time), then adding the second leadership effort to the narrative with its date spans and hours/week for summers only.

You might start off the entire narrative with the backgound info of membership and volunteerism, showing how you advanced in responsibility over time. Or you can split out the early years and list them separately under community service-nonmedical, if you don't have much for that category otherwise. You can mention the award somewhere in there, too, or include it with other Honors/Awards.