Double major(Business) or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlXguy

idk.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore at a state college. I was a Biology major during my freshman year. But now, as a sophomore, I'm considering to dual major in Biology and Business Administration because of the over supply of Biology majors, and the lack of job opportunities for them IF med school option is gone. For a Biology degree, I need 124 credits, and for the dual, I need 134. I took macroeconomics this summer, and thought it was interesting. So, should I stick with Biology major or go for the dual. Is the time and money spent on a dual major worth it even the slightest bit?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a sophomore at a state college. I was a Biology major during my freshman year. But now, as a sophomore, I'm considering to dual major in Biology and Business Administration because of the over supply of Biology majors, and the lack of job opportunities for them IF med school option is gone. For a Biology degree, I need 124 credits, and for the dual, I need 134. I took macroeconomics this summer, and thought it was interesting. So, should I stick with Biology major or go for the dual. Is the time and money spent on a dual major worth it even the slightest bit?

what concentration would your degree in business administration be in? (finance, accounting, marketing, IS, etc.)

also, when i started college i had a very strong interest in economics so i thought the business major would fit me well, but i quickly found out that although a lot of the classes use economics principles... business administration and pure economics class are very different...i ended up switching into the economics department because i really disliked all the non-economics classes that i would have had to take to get the degree

Just do the business admin major and take the prereqs. You will not have to take as many credits, will be fine for med school, and will get the business degree you feel will help you if medicine doesn't pan out. Double majors don't get you anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
what concentration would your degree in business administration be in? (finance, accounting, marketing, IS, etc.)

also, when i started college i had a very strong interest in economics so i thought the business major would fit me well, but i quickly found out that although a lot of the classes use economics principles... business administration and pure economics class are very different...i ended up switching into the economics department because i really disliked all the non-economics classes that i would have had to take to get the degree

At my school, it's just Business Administration without any concentration. Double major or not, I have to stick with Biology because I've always been interested in it.

Makes no sense. If you have always been interested in it then why are you looking to hedge with another career?

Also, why does majoring in busniess automatically give you a job once you graduate? I tend to think only nursing majors and engineering majors have an advantage over all the other majors. There are just as many business majors out there as there are bio majors...

Also, why does majoring in busniess automatically give you a job once you graduate? I tend to think only nursing majors and engineering majors have an advantage over all the other majors. There are just as many business majors out there as there are bio majors...

i think specifically accounting majors have some of the easiest job hunts these days...but if you're majoring in general business, i agree with the above poster. i doubt that you will have that much of a job advantage over just being a biology major...

:thumbup:

i think specifically accounting majors have some of the easiest job hunts these days...but if you're majoring in general business, i agree with the above poster. i doubt that you will have that much of a job advantage over just being a biology major...

Well, at least Bio & business Admin will open up more jobs for me than as a Bio major. The only options for a B.S. in Biology is research, which will require graduate and doctoral education, or teaching.

Well, I can go for B.S. in Biochemistry (127 credit hrs). That will prepare me better for med school, and it'll also provide decent jobs if med school option is gone. I could've majored in Bioengineering but my school only has that for graduate level. Clearly, any major is better than just plain Biology.

I am a Finance major at UT and pre-med. I personally found majoring in business and taking the pre-reqs a good route to go. It gives you something else to study except science all the time which can help you with the burnout. Also, you really do learn practical stuff that will help you with the business side of being a doctor. Last, if med school does not work out, you have a degree that will help you get a good job. I also found that my business courses were way easier than the pre-reqs (even though I did very well in those courses) so it keeps you motivated when you do well in business courses.

do engineering!!! can't go wrong with that!

I am a Finance major at UT and pre-med. I personally found majoring in business and taking the pre-reqs a good route to go. It gives you something else to study except science all the time which can help you with the burnout. Also, you really do learn practical stuff that will help you with the business side of being a doctor. Last, if med school does not work out, you have a degree that will help you get a good job. I also found that my business courses were way easier than the pre-reqs (even though I did very well in those courses) so it keeps you motivated when you do well in business courses.

Ditto here. A good business degree from a respected institution can go a long way if you decide medicine is not your thing. No matter whether you use it in the future as a doctor or as a backup, it's a win-win I think.

I don't want to pursue engineering because it's too coneptual for me. It seems like in order to graduate with Biochem degree at my school, I need like 6 hrs of independent research, which I've to work on my senior year. That'll take too much time. Business does sound like a good route to go. My school also offers Econ & Finance double major, about 126 hrs. I'll look into that major as well.

actually business majors are very sought after. I do not know about other schools but I go to an average state school with a decent business program and most decently smart business students graduate with a few job offers. Of course you have to apply yourself and go to the job fairs before you graduate but a business degree opens up a lot of possibilities.

The problem is once you go business you might not want to go back to medicine :laugh: