double major for pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony729

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering pursuing a double major in Economics and Biology with a minor in chemistry or a major in Economics and a minor in chemistry. I am currently a junior with a 3.8 gpa and very close to completing the requirements for my econ major and pre-med. I am not sure if having a double major would be a advantage, and if my gpa will decrease by taking the upper division biology courses. Would it be better just to major in Economics and a minor in chemistry with close to a 3.8 or higher, and spend my free time focusing more on extra curricular's like: volunteer, shadowing, and be involved in clubs.

Members don't see this ad.

Higher GPA > whatever degree plan sounds more impressive

This +1

Double majoring is a waste of effort. Better to fill up your classes with easy courses.

eh... not really a waste of effort... Unless you're doing the double major JUST to get a double major. However this is coming from someone with a double major :)

Me though, i picked up a double major since i realized i won't be applying until the end of my fourth year and since i owuld be done with my bio major by then, i picked up another major for that fifth year (psych), something i was considering anyway.