Double major or jack of all trades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zogoto

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am double majoring in math and electrical engineering & comp sci. I really enjoy engineering and I feel like the skills I will acquire by doing engineering now will really serve me for a long time, even when I'm a doctor (many of my engineering classes will be medically or physiologically focused). However, there are lots of math classes (I'm done with the major already, but only took a fraction of the classes offered at my school), chem classes, and bio classes I want to do. I would never become that good at chem or bio, especially considering I'll be learning tons of bio in med school. Same with math as well, considering I'll never need to know about low-dimensional topology as a doctor.

So what will be better from a medical perspective? I can't do both engineering AND all of the random classes I want to take, so what will (1) look better for medical school, and more importantly, (2) serve me better in the long run. I really can't choose because everything is very interesting.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no rule saying you must declare a major just because you are interested in certain classes or a particular field. I have a very strong interest in chemistry and biochemistry (heck if I wasn't pre-med I'd probably end up as an organic chemist), but I'm not declaring those majors. Just take the courses in which you have interest. Besides, I think it looks pretty stupid to have 3 majors and 4 minors, or something along those lines, on your transcript. If I were an adcom or future employer, it would tell me that you had no idea what you wanted to do in college, so how would you know what you wanted to do in the real world?

YOUR MAJOR DOES NOT MATTER.

if you want to "prepare" for med school beyond the prereqs, here's some classes that MAY help:

biochemistry
human physiology
human anatomy
genetics
cell biology
statistics

Members don't see this ad :)
Another class I would recommend is a course on medical sociology or cross-cultural interpretations of disease and medicine. It may come in handy later on when you're practicing medicine.

Another class I would recommend is a course on medical sociology or cross-cultural interpretations of disease and medicine. It may come in handy later on when you're practicing medicine.

agreed. another useful class: medical spanish

Unfortunately my school doesn't really have humanities classes so specialized as those.

I guess a part of me wants to do engineering because I go to one of the best engineering schools in the country, and 20 years down the road I may regret not taking advantage of that.