Double major or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohgodidonteven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I originally went into undergraduate planning to do a Biology (with a Biochemistry concentration) and Chemistry major with the idea that I did not want to pursue medicnie, I could find a job doing something else. Now having considered the other careers available with these majors, I feel medicine is what I wish to do. I am still on track for this double major, however as I'll be studying for the MCAT first semester of junior year, I wonder whether I should drop the Chemistry (which lets me take an easier physical chemistry, 3 less lab classes, and skip Calc 3 entirely) and just graduate with a biology major. I'm currently planning an easier semester during the time I'm studying (PChem, Calc 3, two history classes) and hope I'll be able to budget the time in. Most of the harder classes I have left to take are during senior year, where hopefully I'll be less occupied with MCAT/application filing. I guess my question is: for medical schools, is a double major worth it? And in the case I don't actually get into a medical school, would a double major be worth the the opportunies it could potentially provide?

Members don't see this ad.

tl;dr, but I can guess your question. Double major if you want to. You're not going to impress anyone with having a double major. If you try to do this, you'll likely just end up hurting yourself by not performing as well as you could (and should). Study something because you're interested in it, not because you want to impress an adcom.

A double major will have negligible impact on your application, so no I do not think a double major is worth it. Especially since it may lower your GPA. Focus on the one and do well in it should be your priority.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I wanted to work in a lab with regards to something biochemistry related, would a biology degree be sufficient (my university does something called a concentration where you take classes specifically in an area, i.e., biochem), or would a chemistry degree help?

tl;dr what good would a chemistry degree be in biochem research/fields?

If you are majoring in biology/biochem concentration, double majoring in chemistry would seem a bit redundant. Unless you're planning on going into graduate chem studies, I wouldn't really see much use for all the extra work put into a chem degree.

I think experience and connections would go a lot further than having a major rather than a minor. Also, what you're saying is that if you did not pursue medicine you'd take a $10/hr gig indefinitely. If you're wanting to make any more than $15 hourly then you'll have to go to grad school, which (discipline dependent, obviously) generally doesn't require having done a full-blown major. Typicaly a minor works, but again I never applied to grad school nor do I know the ins and outs so take that for what it's worth.

Can anyone confirm what st5505 said? I can easily do an alternative major which is a major that is not certified by the ACS but my university offers. It probably serves as a minor.

I'm a couple classes away from fulfilling the biology requirements. I still have to do some LA and chemistry classes for the alternative major, but if I take an easier semester to study for the MCAT, does that look bad?

what is an "easier" semester? There's no regularity to class schedules from semester to semester. sometimes you just can't get into the classes you wanted or you want to load up some classes one semester so you can move on quicker. the only thing that might happen is that you have less credits to spread a bad grade around, so you might end up a with a much lower GPA one quarter than another.

do you like chemistry? I double-majored in chemistry b/c I wanted to learn more about it but I had no intention to work in industry. In the end, I graduated 4 classes "shy" of getting a B.S. in science and I was a little disappointed about it. However, I knew right away what was really important and dropping my second major and moving on was the right decision.

Less science and lab classes. My first two years were pretty much solid science classes, so I can take some of my liberal arts requirements.

Can anyone confirm what st5505 said? I can easily do an alternative major which is a major that is not certified by the ACS but my university offers. It probably serves as a minor.

I'm a couple classes away from fulfilling the biology requirements. I still have to do some LA and chemistry classes for the alternative major, but if I take an easier semester to study for the MCAT, does that look bad?

I'm doing DVM/PhD. I got into grad with an English/Japanese double major, German minor, + science prereqs, no science major at all. So... confirmed.

I graduated with a psychology major but was a neuro class, a biochem class and a physiology class away from a neuroscience degree, as well. For the longest time early in undergrad I was conflicted on how I'd be so close to a neuroscience BS but far enough that I wouldn't be able to do it and graduate in the time frame I had in mind. I also wanted something to show for all my hard work of science classes and neuro classes. Early on I also felt that you could do more with a neuro degree than a psychology degree. You can do roughly the same with both of them (I worked in a steel yard for a year after graduation because it paid much more than the garbage tech jobs I could get). Unless you major in something like education, engineering or auto mechanics, you really have the decision between grad school, a crappy job, or another job in an unrelated field.

in hindsight and being in medical school, I couldn't care less about not picking up that second major, especially considering the classes I needed I have now covered in medical school. You won't want to be a tech for any extended period of time.

At my school, pretty much everyone double majors (unless your an enginerd -- and even then, I knew a guy who got a aero, mech, and electrical engineer degree). Go for it if you want to. probably won't help much -- but do what you love and enjoy. I love history and biology so I did both (even if was a B biology student for awhile. :( )

Take the path of least resistance unless you have some incredible reason for not doing so. Med schools only care about the numbers, not what you did to get them. Just to reiterate, you definitely do not need a science degree to get into med school.

Sounds good. I think I'll use that extra time to study and boost my ECs.