Double major or not...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mleg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I currently attend the University of Alabama as a freshman and I am currently double majoring in Biology and Human Development & Family Studies. I work in a very prestigious research lab in the Biology department that is known for getting it's students into medical school. I know I want to go to med school, however, I am starting to realize that I don't love Biology. It is tedious and boring and I have to force myself to study it. HDFS on the other hand I absolutely adore and I love to research information about it in my spare time. My question is: should I drop Biology and thus the prestigious research lab and focus on what I love, and most likely get a better GPA, or should I continue to double major and push through with Biology and force myself through it? I love HDFS too much to drop that major.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody cares about your major(s) but you.
As long as you are not excluded from opportunities by dropping Bio, do so.

A double major is not worth even 0.01 gpa drop.
I will admit that the name of the major you like is a little off-putting...

Reactions: 1 user
Major doesn't matter in and of itself. Is there any way you can drop Bio as a major and still work in the research lab? That would probably be the ideal solution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody cares about your major(s) but you.
As long as you are not excluded from opportunities by dropping Bio, do so.

A double major is not worth even 0.01 gpa drop.
I will admit that the name of the major you like is a little off-putting...

Would it be worth it if I genuinely enjoy both my majors?

Would it be worth it if I genuinely enjoy both my majors?
I would only do it if you WANT to take EVERY SINGLE course associated with both majors. If you don't, it isn't worth it.

It may be worth it to you personally. The medical schools you apply to could give AF.

Meaning it won't hurt me negatively right? I'm asking cause I'm totally fine with them not giving af as long as it won't hurt me when I apply

Your major will not hurt you.

One vs two majors will not hurt you.

Two majors will not make up for a low GPA, which is the more common question on SDN.

Thank you :) I appreciate your help

Hi, so I currently attend the University of Alabama as a freshman and I am currently double majoring in Biology and Human Development & Family Studies. I work in a very prestigious research lab in the Biology department that is known for getting it's students into medical school. I know I want to go to med school, however, I am starting to realize that I don't love Biology. It is tedious and boring and I have to force myself to study it. HDFS on the other hand I absolutely adore and I love to research information about it in my spare time. My question is: should I drop Biology and thus the prestigious research lab and focus on what I love, and most likely get a better GPA, or should I continue to double major and push through with Biology and force myself through it? I love HDFS too much to drop that major.

Thank you so much for your advice.
You don't find Biology exciting? According to what others posted here, you're going to see a ton of Biology in medical school.

I like the anatomy and physiology side of biology but I really couldn't care less about micro and plants.

I'm having one hell of a time trying to figure out if you're being serious or nah
I'm serious, but it's a soft call. Majors that have "Family Studies" in them give us a flash back to Home Economics...
Can you imagine the look on an interviewers face if OP nonchalantly said "Oh yes, I'm a HDFS major!"

Reactions: 1 users