Double major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking I may be just as interested in going to graduate school as going to med school and since many of you are or have already been to graduate school i have some questions to ask. I love science and can't see myself doing anything not involving science. My question is: would I be better off sticking with my boring biology major or trying to double major in both bio and chem. I went over the hours I would need and I think it is doable but is it worth it? If I do deciede to go MD I will shoot for an MD/Phd combo or bust. Will I be prepared enough with just a bio major and the required chem courses or should I just go ahead and get the BA in chemistry as well?

Members don't see this ad.

You certainly don't need a double major to go MD/PhD! Focus on research instead of more classes.

Bio is easier than Chem. If you are good in mathematics and logics, go with Chem. I am going to take Physical Chem soon and not really looking forward to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is where you've got to make a choice. If you are just interested in research, why are you going to spend the time earning your MD? You have to decide the whole MD portion of your goals. Because if you're fairly sure you're going to do MD, getting a BA in chemistry versus a BS is not a big deal. But...if you decide to forego the MD and say..just earn your PhD, a BA in chemistry is really going to do nothing for you. You need a BS, and not having PChem as a chem major kind of just really illegitimizes the whole chem major.