double major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AegisZero

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a double major really matter in admissions, especially if one is a science and the other is a social science?

The reason I ask is because I am very much considering upgrading one of my minors to a major. I find the material interesting, and Im willing to put up with the hard work. The only problem is that by doing this, I leave almost no room for "random classes".

What do ya'll think? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i have no room for random classes either, but i don't really mind. i guess it'd be interesting to take some classes in art, music, ethnohistory, etc... i dunno, i'm really interested in the stuff for my major and minor more than anything else. in my case, upgrading to a full major is a difference of 3 classes (and we're on a quarter system) so it's not a big deal at all... I just don't think it's worth it to take on an unnecessarily large load in my last year of college, esp. since i'll be going to medical school anyway and getting another degree.

The most important thing is that it's something you're interested in. I'm doubling in bio and english, and I really love both of them. I think it might help with admissions, to have a diverse academic background. But I also think it shows that you're committed to something other than just science and willing to focus on it. I'm giving up the "random" classes for the second major, and overall I'm glad. It comes down to personal preference really: would you rather have random knowledge on a lot of things, or a lot of knowledge on a few things. I'm not sure one is really better than the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't tell you about the overall admissions process, but my interviewers are always curious why I chose my major (computer science) and how it might relate to the practice of medicine. If you do decide to pursue a second major, just make sure its for you and not for the benefit of admissions. Random classes might make an interesting conversation topic, but so does genuine enthusiasm for what you've focused on in your studies ;) .

I'm pretty lackadaisical about these things, so I always urged people to "let go and live some." Obviously you already have your minor as a minor, which already demonstrates you have *some* interest in it! If they ask you why, you can probably make just as strong an argument for it either way.

In the end, the admissions process is something akin to a black box, and we all speculate but will probably never know for sure what exactly it was that "got me in." I personally think the admissions committee shouldn't care much about whether the second subject was a minor or a major, apart from your interest in it. And whether it was a major or a minor doesn't say anything about your sincerity in pursuing it-- that is something that gets communicated in other ways.

Originally posted by AegisZero
Does a double major really matter in admissions, especially if one is a science and the other is a social science?

The reason I ask is because I am very much considering upgrading one of my minors to a major. I find the material interesting, and Im willing to put up with the hard work. The only problem is that by doing this, I leave almost no room for "random classes".

What do ya'll think? Thanks.

Aegis,
I know that Dean Singer puts no stock in what being a double major will get you, but I personally think that it is worth something. I received a degree in BAA & Spanish and in all my interviews, ppl always comment how that combo was well suited for a career in medicine. Still, someone made a good pt by saying that having a minor acheives almost the same affect without having to take as many classes....
M

Originally posted by MeganRose
Aegis,
I know that Dean Singer puts no stock in what being a double major will get you, but I personally think that it is worth something. I received a degree in BAA & Spanish and in all my interviews, ppl always comment how that combo was well suited for a career in medicine. Still, someone made a good pt by saying that having a minor acheives almost the same affect without having to take as many classes....
M

Thanks Megan! That makes a lot of sense. Plus I was starting to get a bit disgruntled with one of my minors so I feel it's something I would have done anyway. Just needed to hear it from other people. Thanks a bunch!

I'd say go for it since you obviously have both the time and interest in pursuing a double major. You must not have to deal with Curr. 2K :mad: (or you have alot of AP credits :D).

Originally posted by All-Star14
I'd say go for it since you obviously have both the time and interest in pursuing a double major. You must not have to deal with Curr. 2K :mad: (or you have alot of AP credits :D).

Hehe I have a pretty good number of AP credits. But they dont count towards Curr 2K. Its just that one of my majors is a science and the other a social science. I filled up CZs and languages with random classes.

I think Im lucky because I have been taking 5 classes a semester starting with fall of freshman year. This has really given me space to take a bunch of cool stuff.