Double Majoring in Psychology and Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it doesn't really matter what you major in, but I'm kind of interested in both psychology and biology. Will adcoms look down upon people double majoring in the sciences? Most double majors I see are majoring in one science and one humanities which makes them appear more well-rounded. Will a double major in psychology and biology be provide a slight disadvantage if at all? Or will adcoms see psychology as more humanities/social than belonging to the sciences?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that it doesn't really matter what you major in, but I'm kind of interested in both psychology and biology. Will adcoms look down upon people double majoring in the sciences? Most double majors I see are majoring in one science and one humanities which makes them appear more well-rounded. Will a double major in psychology and biology be provide a slight disadvantage if at all? Or will adcoms see psychology as more humanities/social than belonging to the sciences?

Thanks!

It won't be a disadvantage. [Insert joke about how people don't consider psychology a science anyway here].

It won't be a disadvantage. [Insert joke about how people don't consider psychology a science anyway here].

Psychology isn't science. AAMC doesn't consider it as such.

Thanks!

It's a clichéd double major, but no, you won't be at a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not like AAMC has any sort of authority on anything really.

To OP: your major mostly doesn't matter really. Just do well.

Psychology isn't science. AAMC doesn't consider it as such

Psychology is a science. The scientific method is just as relevant to psychology as it is to labwork. That doesn't change the fact that the 'purer' disciplines look down on it, but whatever. Still a science.

The AAMC's coursework classifications are ridiculous and are not evidence of anything. BCPM is a made-up arbitrary category, as a quick spin through the various designations makes clear. Geology, meteorology, pharmacology, and nutrition aren't sciences, but astronomy is? Whatever, AAMC.

Not like AAMC has any sort of authority on anything really.

To OP: your major mostly doesn't matter really. Just do well.

Psychology is a science. The scientific method is just as relevant to psychology as it is to labwork. That doesn't change the fact that the 'purer' disciplines look down on it, but whatever. Still a science.

The AAMC's coursework classifications are ridiculous and are not evidence of anything. BCPM is a made-up arbitrary category, as a quick spin through the various designations makes clear. Geology, meteorology, pharmacology, and nutrition aren't sciences, but astronomy is? Whatever, AAMC.

Lol. You can argue as much as you want. When it comes to applying for medical school, AAMC does have the authority and classifies psychology is a social science (and not BCPM).

Lol. You can argue as much as you want. When it comes to applying for medical school, AAMC does have the authority and classifies psychology is a social science (and not BCPM).

Except the OP wasn't asking what her coursework would be categorized as (and neither was I), she was asking how it would be perceived. And it will be perceived in two ways: 1. as two sciences or 2. as a social science and a 'true' science, depending on the biases of the reader. Neither ultimately matters.

Except the OP wasn't asking what her coursework would be categorized as (and neither was I), she was asking how it would be perceived. And it will be perceived in two ways: 1. as two sciences or 2. as a social science and a 'true' science, depending on the biases of the reader. Neither ultimately matters.

You sure about the bolded? :nono:

You sure about the bolded? :nono:

Is it possible for you to not be an ass? I was making a joke about the fact that psychology isn't, in fact, perceived as a science by many people, so her fears about appear to be overlapping subject were probably unfounded. Nonetheless, in a more objective sense, it is a science. Adcoms won't care either way.

Classwork categorization wasn't in the conversation until you brought it up.

Is it possible for you to not be an ass? I was making a joke about the fact that psychology isn't, in fact, perceived as a science by many people, so her fears about appear to be overlapping subject were probably unfounded. Nonetheless, in a more objective sense, it is a science. Adcoms won't care either way.

Classwork categorization wasn't in the conversation until you brought it up.

Calm down bro. No need to rage lol. Once again, as I mentioned before, you can consider psychology to be a science, but AAMC doesn't. And sure, adcoms won't care since AMCAS will re-classify any "seemingly" psychology courses as non-science. This here is objective, and what you're arguing is against objectivity. Whether you believe psychology is a science or not is completely irrelevant here. Nice try.

Calm down bro. No need to rage lol. Once again, as I mentioned before, you can consider psychology to be a science, but AAMC doesn't. And sure, adcoms won't care since AMCAS will re-classify any "seemingly" psychology courses as non-science. This here is objective, and what you're arguing is against objectivity. Nice try.

It's so cute the way you think the AAMC has anything to do with Adcoms' opinions about anything.

It's so cute the way you think the AAMC has anything to do with Adcom's opinions about anything.

An adcom wouldn't care, which was already settled long ago. The point here is whether psychology is considered a science, which is resolved objectively. Psychology is considered a social science (though oddly neuropsychology is considered BCPM). Arguing against this is a moot point.

Now, as I mentioned before, OP's double major is nothing special. An adcom will agree to this.

Thanks!
"Psychology is not a science"

It is always a shame when people bring that up. I always felt that Neuropsychology and Behavioral Pharmacology should be considered science courses by AMCAS in regards to GPA, but oh well haha. In the end it doesn't really matter. So I wouldn't stress about it. Anywho bringing the topic back to where it should be.

I think a double major in anything is inherently better than a single major. It shows that you can juggle two different majors at once (as "duh" as that might sound). But since you are double majoring you are forced to take upper level courses in both majors. This could be regarded as stronger than an applicant that might have a Biology major and a Psychology minor who could get away with taking 100 and 200 level courses to obtain their minor.

In the end they will see your course load and all of the courses you take when you submit your AMCAS primary application. I think they will be looking more intently on which classes you take instead of the label that comes along with a double major. If that makes sense.

But! It cannot hurt so if its something you want then do it. Just do not do it to sound more impressive. If that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
An adcom wouldn't care, which was already settled long ago. The point here is whether psychology is considered a science, which is resolved objectively. Psychology is considered a social science (though oddly neuropsychology is considered BCPM). Arguing against this is a moot point.

Now, as I mentioned before, OP's double major is nothing special. An adcom will agree to this.

Neuropsychology is considered BCPM? Ahh thats good haha. I thought they just considered all psychology non-science and didnt look into the curriculum. I guess it depends on the course, because my neuropsychology course was science heavy.

"Psychology is not a science"

It is always a shame when people bring that up. I always felt that Neuropsychology and Behavioral Pharmacology should be considered science courses by AMCAS in regards to GPA, but oh well haha. In the end it doesn't really matter. So I wouldn't stress about it. Anywho bringing the topic back to where it should be.

I think a double major in anything is inherently better than a single major. It shows that you can juggle two different majors at once (as "duh" as that might sound). But since you are double majoring you are forced to take upper level courses in both majors. This could be regarded as stronger than an applicant that might have a Biology major and a Psychology minor who could get away with taking 100 and 200 level courses to obtain their minor.

In the end they will see your course load and all of the courses you take when you submit your AMCAS primary application. I think they will be looking more intently on which classes you take instead of the label that comes along with a double major. If that makes sense.

But! It cannot hurt so if its something you want then do it. Just do not do it to sound more impressive. If that makes sense.

Well said. Oddly enough, neuropsychology and behavioral science ARE BCPM, which is weird. I read in some thread that if a course contains >50% science, it's definitely a BCPM. Social psychology and cognitive science aren't BCPM. Idk why. AAMC is just weird lol. (or it's linked closely with sociology)

But bio and psych double major isn't impressive, because they are linked by neuroscience.

But bio and psych double major isn't impressive, because they are linked by neuroscience.

:confused: Is a chemistry and math BS not impressive because its linked by chemical engineering?

although I do agree with your conclusion. But you shouldn't pick your major based on what's impressive anyways, as others have said.

No one is impressed by a double major anyway. And that shouldn't stop you from pursuing one if you really wanted to.

:confused: Is a chemistry and math BS not impressive because its linked by chemical engineering?

although I do agree with your conclusion. But you shouldn't pick your major based on what's impressive anyways, as others have said.

Chemical engineering isn't necessarily the link between chemistry and math. If anything, physics provides such a link (quantum mechanics leading to orbitals, electron configurations and hydrogen atom quantification). Same with thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when you say biology-heavy psychology classes aren't classified as BCPM, because... they are. It's up to you to choose the classification of your coursework to the best extent of your knowledge. I majored in neuroscience and classified many of my courses as biology (psychpharmacology, various "neuroscience of..." courses, neurobiology, neuroanatomy, etc.) even though the course listing was through the psychology department.

The AMCAS staff had no problem verifying my application with my classifications.

Helpful hint -- just don't have any delusions that abnormal, cognitive, developmental, or other psychology courses without > or = 50% biology content will count.

To the OP: Major in whatever you are interested in. I found neuroscience to be the best mix of biology and psychology without double majoring. You'll find yourself being a lot more motivated in your coursework if you do what you enjoy; adcoms will not look down on you for doing well in anything as long as you finish the prerequisites with good grades.

Last edited:
I chose to double major in biology and psychology because I wanted to. Study what you're interested in and passionate about and you will be at an advantage even if you choose Spanish and art history.

Psych isn't a hard science. It's definitely a lot different than biology and I think that knowledge would actually be useful in practice.

Many of the methods used in psychology are not completely scientific, ie. surveys. It is a social science by most categorizations. If given the option of majoring in neuroscience, however, which is my favorite biological study, I would jump.

No one cares what you major in. Do well in coursework and be an interesting person.

It's a clichéd double major, but no, you won't be at a disadvantage.

No it's not. A cliché is something has been overused to the point of losing meaning. Do you mean to say that at one point, this particular double major held some greater meaning? This is just empty condescension.

No one cares what you major in. Do well in coursework and be an interesting person.

I think this is a good answer. Major (or double major) in something that interests you. There will be thousands of applicants at each school, and many of them will also be psych-bio double majors. It's just a small piece of you as an applicant that will come together in the bigger picture an admissions committee member will consider.

No it's not. A cliché is something has been overused to the point of losing meaning. Do you mean to say that at one point, this particular double major held some greater meaning? This is just empty condescension.

Possibly in the past when the number of "premeds" was small. What I meant by that statement is larger waves of premeds major in biology and more waves, hoping to be unique, major in biology and psychology. This isn't condescension. This is what usually happens.

Possibly in the past when the number of "premeds" was small. What I meant by that statement is larger waves of premeds major in biology and more waves, hoping to be unique, major in biology and psychology. This isn't condescension. This is what usually happens.

I can agree with the idea that a double major in biology and psychology is somehow unique or specially interdisciplinary or something is a bit of a cliché at this point.

But I also think that the double major itself is not and cannot be a cliché if done because the two subjects are the student's interests and not out of some desire to stand out. Threadstarter did express wanting to do bio-psych from a place of interest and showed concern about being at a disadvantage. Using pejoratives like cliché doesn't exactly lessen his concern.