Double Majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Res-J

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. Just wondering if you guys had any insight on how differently adcoms look at double majors (both science, no science, or one of each). More lenient with the gpa or anything? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

double majoring can be good if it's something different... not micro and bio or something lame. I'm a physiology and economics major, and all 5 of the interviews which I have had so far have been interested in my different pursuits. I think it's definitately helped me...

kreno

I did Bio and English and thought that made me special. :D Uconn didn't seem too impressed though. I think I'll downplay it (or at least let them bring it up) in future interviews.

C.

Members don't see this ad :)
I double majored too, but not to impress admissions committees. I simply pursued my interests. If you do things specifically for med school admissions, you will not be happy, and you will not truely be passionate about what you do -- it is important to do things that you love, and then your passions will come through in your application and interviews.

Just pursue your passions. :)

I did it, Biology & Psychology just to get a better appriciation for Neuroscience and Psychology in general. None of my interviewers really seem to care, so I don't know how much value it was.

As for undergrad, just do whatever you want to do and do well at it. As long as you get in the requirements, all that matters is that you do well at whatever you do.

I am doing Biology and Political Science. Both just for the heck of it. My premed advisor thinks double majoring isnt too important for med schools, but I guess that doesnt matter to much since Im mainly doing it for myself anyway.

But I would assume it would show interest in different areas (especially if your double majors are in completely different areas)

This is on a related subject. How important is it to have a minor? I currently only have one major (non-science), and no minor. I am only 3 classes away from getting a bio minor, so it wouldn't be too hard. Will admissions committees look down on me for not having a minor? e.g., will they think I don't want to work hard and do extra work by not having a minor?

I don't think that anyone will care if you get a minor or not. Unless you really want to take those three classes, I would advise taking something non-medicine related.

I'm a psychology major. how would a double major in zoology look?:confused: Or maybe a chemistry minor? hmmmm

I Doubled in Biomedical Science and Psychology. It's never been brought up in interviews, except to say that I enjoyed pursuing both areas of interest.

i don't think adcoms really care all that much. it's more about what you enjoy and whether or not you have time to take all the classes you want while getting the double major. you may impress someone who has an interest in one of your major fields, but that's about it. it is impressive if you take a full load of difficult courses b/c of the double major, but it is equally impressive if you take a full load of difficult courses and don't have a double major in my opinion.

Double majored in biology and computer science. Started out because of interest but it's hurt my gpa unfortunately... :eek:

Originally posted by 2003Applicant
I double majored too, but not to impress admissions committees. I simply pursued my interests. If you do things specifically for med school admissions, you will not be happy, and you will not truely be passionate about what you do -- it is important to do things that you love, and then your passions will come through in your application and interviews.

Just pursue your passions. :)

I did English and Bio not for the adcoms, but for myself. I did not think of applying to med school until third year, when I was deep into both subjects.

I definitely agree that it's important to do what you love. :)

C.