Double Minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runfastnow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was granted a fifth year of eligibility by the NCAA and will probably be back in undergrad for one more year. Will it look any better for admissions to add a double minor in English and Religion to my double major of Biochemistry and Biology? They are things that interest me and will be relatively easy to complete within the next school year. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, med schools don't care much about declared double majors or minors. The important thing is having a high GPA. The advantage of "declaring" the minor might be in having priority for class registration or continued eligibility for loans. Just take classes you'll enjoy so you can do well.

Without more information on your situation, it is difficult to advise you one direction or another. That said, I am in agreement with Catalystik... you should take the classes that interest you, and that you will also do well in.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine told me that at her interview with Feinberg (Northwestern), her one-on-one interviewer asked her many questions about her minor. This may have been simply because it was Philosophy/Medical Ethics though. At the very least, its gotta be evidence that you are relatively well-rounded. It might not be such a bad idea to bring it up in an essay?

I think its a little rash to say that "med schools dont care much."

I say they don't care at all. Having something to talk about at an interview does not enhance your chances, it just raises one interview question instead of another.

so even if someone does something that makes an adcom take notice, it makes no difference because "it just raises one interview question instead of another"? Certainly there is some value to being unique enough for an interviewer to want to know more.