1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubling up on shifts as hospitalist

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by iak78612, Jun 20, 2008.

1. iak78612

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got about 250k in student loans, so I was thinking about doubling up on shifts as a hospitalist for two years to pay off my student loans.
    Does anyone know if this is possible?
    Has anyone done this?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. brc12

5+ Year Member

It really depends on the program you work with and the schedule. At my prior job one of the locums staff was working a 7 day on/off schedule with us, but on his "off" week did 7 days at his full time job. My current job full time is about 18 shifts a month, I usually do 20-25 shifts to help pay off loans.

4. iak78612

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the reply, it was helpful...

I know quite a few programs offer student loan repayment. I have seen everything from 40k - 90k repayment. Do you think it would be possible to set it up so that you ask for a lower salary and more money towards student loan repayment.

That way your salary could go towards your loans BEFORE taxes, right? You guys think something like that would be possible?

5. brc12

5+ Year Member

You'd probably need to talk to a tax professional regarding how that is treated. I haven't received a student loan payment, but payment received to pay off my tail insurance is being treated as taxable income. (Essentially they paid 10,000 to my insurance company and its treated as a "loan" with a certain amount forgiven every month, that amount is counted as taxable income.)