Down time between August MCATs and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I am taking the August MCAT and I have been told that the scores don't come in until October. I am planning on going out of the country for a few months and am trying to determine how early I should be back to attend any interviews in the spring. I would appreciate any info on this topic. I just need some idea. I am looking at NOVA and PCOM. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Before interviews you have to receive and finish you secondaries.... Did you incorporate that into your schedule? Because if you don't then you won't get any interviews at all...

Personally, I got started getting interview invitations around October.... Later, P :cool:

Popoy,
How early did you send in your application and when did you start receiving your secondary applications? By the way thanks for al the information.

Members don't see this ad :)
No Prob dude... Just keep on postin' :D

I sent in my application during the first week of June (I think I was one of the few that got it in that week then some technical difficulties arose again - that was a nightmare).... I started receiving secondaries for allopathic med schools during the last week of July and osteopathic med schools sometime in August. Though I got invited by October, most of the interviews were scheduled for December....

Here's some advice I have for all those taking MCAT's in August. Just becasue you are taking the MCAT in August doesn't mean you should wait until October to apply. You should still be sending in the necessary forms right away to expedite the procedure. Medical Schools will still send you secondaries even though your MCAT scores are not in. Time is of the essence.

From what I heard from many Medical Schools, there is two waves of applicants. One in June and July. The other in October and November when all the August MCATers get their results back. Apply in the June and July months when the schools are not bogged down with the second wave of applicants. You'll just be ahead of the game when October rolls around.

I will be making application this month without my scores. What I was wondering is generally how long is the turn around time when the med schools recieve the scores from the August mcat until interviewing begins. Does AACOMAS wait unti they recieve the mcat scores to send out the applications to the med schools?

Aloha Kid, you said "Medical Schools will still send you secondaries even though your MCAT scores are not in." Could you elaborate? MD or DO schools? Thanks

hippuppy,

I had my scores in already before I applied, but I can tell you that some allopathic schools send out secondaries automatically.... The reason I know this is that, my first application arrived prior to my AAMCAS being process.... I receive letters saying, "we have just been notified by AMCAS that you have decided to apply to the ****** medical school. Though we have not received you application as of yet, we have sent you a secondary to speed the process...." yak, yak, yak....

Just my two cents,
:cool:

Like what Popoy said, Medical schools send secondaries out pretty much automatically. There are some schools that will not send you anything until they receive your scores. But be assured, most schools will send you a secondary right away based on your AMCAS and AACOMAS applications.

So send them in early and expect to get some secondaries back within a 2-3 week turn around. Once you send your secondaries in all you have to do is sit tight and wait for your MCAT scores. Once the schools receive your MCAT scores, they'll go ahead and begin to decide whether or not to invite you to an interview.

I applied to 10 medical schools. 3 MD and 7 DO. They all sent me secondaries even without my MCAT scores in. All you have to do is let them know you are taking the August MCAT and that the score will be sent to them some time in October.

I can deal with my secondaries while I am out of the country, but it is rather difficult to attend an interview while I am away. Get my drift. I am trying to figure out how much time I will have (a guestimate of course) between the time the schools recieve my scores in Oct. to the time I am invited to an interview. This is all based on the positive thought that I will be asked for an interview. I am wanting to go out of the country for a few months and work during that dead time. Thanks for the info.

Bryan

Let me see. I sent in all my secondaries by early august. The MCAT scores came out in early October. I was inited to interview at UH, MD, KCOM, Touro, and UMDNJSOM early in the month of November. Interviews to AZCOM, Des Moines, and Western came in late January and early February.

I think as long as you're a competitive applicant expect to hear something back in early November or possibly late October.

Hope this helps.

Hi Aloha kid,

If you dont mind, would u mind telling me how competitive were you (mcat & gpawise), with your august mcat? I'm afraid im going to have to take the aug mcat as well and I wanted to know what will make you a competitive applicant even with an aug mcat

thanks

It sounds as though you're a bit worried about taking the MCATs in August. I was a bit worried about that one too. I heard all of the rumors say that if you take the MCAT in August, then you will end up applying late and all the seats will be taken. Now that I have gone that route, I can say, it's somewhat true but not really. First, I don't think most schools will be filled by the time November or even December rolls around. So relax. Try to get everything in as fast as possible.

As far as being competitive. Aim for a 27 or above on the MCATs if applying to DO school. As far as science GPA goes, at least above a 3.5 or so for DO school. Of course there are always the exceptions. Be glad in knowing that DO schools do a much better job at looking at the exceptions than MD schools do. Be sure your recs are good and you've done a lot of extra activities. I think that for the most part, this is what is takes to be competitive. If you don't have all of the above don't worry. Like I said, there are many exceptions contrary to my point of view. Hope this helps.