Down to the wire...UVA, Wash U, Columbia, UCLA, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chagall

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a somewhat similar question in the ERAS forum, but I was hoping to get any opinions from neuro people too. I still can't decide on my ROL...the only 2 categorical programs I have are UVA and Wash U, and I would likely end up scrambling if I picked one of the advanced ones...but that said, I did like some of the advanced ones a lot.

Here are all of them I'm considering, honestly in no particular order: UVA, Wash U, Columbia, UCLA, MGH (well, that last one probably not)

Would the training I would get at any of these places be different enough (in terms of quality) to justify that as my reason for ranking? Or am I best going with my (very indecisive) gut as to where I would like to live, cost of living, etc?

UVA had not been very high on my list until recently, when I was considering all the factors...I did really enjoy my visit there, and the town seems great (though I wonder if it would get confining). I also wonder if they may see less volume of patients than some of the other places (they have a night float system and less overnight call)...and if that would impact how much exposure to different diseases I get. Then again, I have my own health issues, and I don't manage 30 hour calls very well, so there's a plus side...

So you can see how this is going round and round in my head...and this is only a quick taste of it. Any thoughts on comparing any of these places? Again, I don't have prelims secured at any of the advanced programs, but I think I'd feel OK about scrambling (maybe!). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Chagall I gave you a reply in the other forum. but you did not followup. cut and paste here if u want

What do you think about the chance of scramble into a prelim for neuro ? Have you heard anyone matched into advanced program but not prelim?

Members don't see this ad :)
In her case, given her geat neuro interviews, she will likely be very desirable for a scramble even if the program itself is not.

I know a guy who matched last year at 3rd 4th teir school for advanced neuro and had to scramble. Ended up at Medical College of wisconsin, I think, for prelim. Not bad actually

Chagall I gave you a reply in the other forum. but you did not followup. cut and paste here if u want

Sorry about that. I will quote you here and reply:

Where are you from? I didnt interview at any of the above but...
If i could go to an undeniable top 5, categorical neuro program in a nice "big, small" city that won't break my bank Id do it...
To me that leaves Wash U
I wouldnt want to do new york, boston or LA. Thats just me

Also what does "not a good feel mean"... were they not over the top exhuberant about you or you actually didnt like something? it its the former dont worry abot it- some places are poker faced. its harvard for chriust sake... but if its the latter then that should prety much answer yourquestion with regards to that program.

My top3 options are UH/Case in cleveland U of Miami and U of Chicago
if you interviewed at any of these Id love to hear your thoughts...

That's good to hear, since that is kind of where I'm leaning (I'm in the Midwest now already, so that would be the easiest anyway). New York does seem to have its appeal, though...I've never lived in a city that seems so exciting and multicultural...but cost of living is a definite downside there.

For MGH, the "not a good feel" was some of both of what you mentioned (a little stuffy, but mostly program-related things that I didn't think fit me well... the focus on inpatient care, the description overheard of the program as "brutal" in the early years).

Sorry, but I didn't interview at any of the ones you listed...I wish I had visited U of Miami, though...since applying, I have heard really good things about it, and the weather can't be beat, in my opinion...but sorry I don't have more to go on. The only other place I went (besides the ones I listed) was UT-SW, and while I liked the people a lot, I'm not as sure about the program as a good fit for me.

Yes, I did hear of people matching in advanced and scrambling for a prelim. And I do know that if you fail to secure a prelim, it can leave nightmares...

I loved UH-CWRU. The hospital was gorgeous, the PD and the other faculty seemed really friendly and I appreciated how all my interviewers seemed to really take the time to read my file. The residents seemed happy and content. Most of them have their own families, and they say that even if Cleveland is a "sleepy" town (their words...), it's a good place to raise a family. I had a very good feel for the place.

U Chicago was pretty awesome too. The PD also seemed nice. I did get "interrogated" by one faculty, but I think she was the same with all other applicants. I liked how everything was in just one place. I know diversity is good in residency but there is also a sense of comfort knowing you have to navigate just one environment. I'm a little scared of their "front-loaded" program but I think it may be a huge advantage if you're applying for fellowship later on.

How about you, what are your thoughts between these two programs? I'd be happy to end up in any of them.

I posted a somewhat similar question in the ERAS forum, but I was hoping to get any opinions from neuro people too. I still can't decide on my ROL...the only 2 categorical programs I have are UVA and Wash U, and I would likely end up scrambling if I picked one of the advanced ones...but that said, I did like some of the advanced ones a lot.

Here are all of them I'm considering, honestly in no particular order: UVA, Wash U, Columbia, UCLA, MGH (well, that last one probably not)

Would the training I would get at any of these places be different enough (in terms of quality) to justify that as my reason for ranking? Or am I best going with my (very indecisive) gut as to where I would like to live, cost of living, etc?

UVA had not been very high on my list until recently, when I was considering all the factors...I did really enjoy my visit there, and the town seems great (though I wonder if it would get confining). I also wonder if they may see less volume of patients than some of the other places (they have a night float system and less overnight call)...and if that would impact how much exposure to different diseases I get. Then again, I have my own health issues, and I don't manage 30 hour calls very well, so there's a plus side...

So you can see how this is going round and round in my head...and this is only a quick taste of it. Any thoughts on comparing any of these places? Again, I don't have prelims secured at any of the advanced programs, but I think I'd feel OK about scrambling (maybe!). Thanks!

UVA does have night float, but it is often very busy. I wouldn't worry about not getting to see enough patients or not a good variety of patients. The hospital draws from all over VA, West VA, Northern NC, and Southern Maryland, so you get to see neuro cases from a population in the millions. All the places on your list are great places to train, so I would really focus on non-educational factors: where do you want to live, where did you get a good feel, where is your family, where do you get free meals ;).

UVA does have night float, but it is often very busy. I wouldn't worry about not getting to see enough patients or not a good variety of patients. The hospital draws from all over VA, West VA, Northern NC, and Southern Maryland, so you get to see neuro cases from a population in the millions. All the places on your list are great places to train, so I would really focus on non-educational factors: where do you want to live, where did you get a good feel, where is your family, where do you get free meals ;).

Thanks very much for the info. So you mean the night float itself is busy? But do you think it makes up for it in shorter hours for the general floor services, less overnight call, etc? (I think I'd be OK working all night for a few weeks at a time...I'm less good at recovering from the 30 hour shifts).

The non-educational factors are the difficult ones for me...my family is mostly nowhere near any of these places (there were no strong neuro programs in their rural area), except for a sibling near MGH...which I wasn't so fond of. I got a good feel at several places, mostly Wash U, UVA, and Columbia...though UCLA sounded intriguing too. And deciding where to live has been the hardest part...NYC would be cool, but I wonder how stressful it would get after a few years, with the high cost of living too.

Thanks again for the post!

Wow...I thought I had decided...and it's the logical, sensible decision...but my gut wants something else (a new exciting place), hours before the deadline! I guess going with your gut is not always the best idea? Would residency be much more stressful living in the heart of NYC?

Girl go with your decision you already locked in. Fate will take it from there. You may end up in NYC regardless. Let go. Be Happy.

Wow...I thought I had decided...and it's the logical, sensible decision...but my gut wants something else (a new exciting place), hours before the deadline! I guess going with your gut is not always the best idea? Would residency be much more stressful living in the heart of NYC?

If logical analysis and gut feeling differs, could that be because you aren't analyzing the gut feeling itself?

When considering job options, there are no illegitimate feelings. It has to work for you, your motivation is your motivation, regardless of what your surroundings should think of them. That is my attitude.

So what did you go for?