Downplay motherhood on pharm school apps??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuvSydney1018

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do pharm schools look at motherhood as a hinderance? I want to talk about my daughter in my ps, but I'm afraid that ad coms will consider motherhood as an "extra job", which would result in a less committed student. Does anyone have advice on whether they mentioned their children during interview/apps and how adcoms viewed it?

Members don't see this ad.

Do pharm schools look at motherhood as a hinderance? I want to talk about my daughter in my ps, but I'm afraid that ad coms will consider motherhood as an "extra job", which would result in a less committed student. Does anyone have advice on whether they mentioned their children during interview/apps and how adcoms viewed it?

No. In fact, it's one of the things they're not supposed to ask you about in interviews and such. However, if you want to bring that up, go ahead. There are many people in pharmacy school that are married, have kids, and both.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would actually think of that as an advantage because it shows you have excellent time management for one thing. A thing that many college students lack.

When I read personal statements I'd want to see being a mother or father more then just a blingbling badge. I'd want to see how it impacts your life or changed your outlook in some measurable way. So while I think talking about the child(ren) is great, I'd recommend putting it into some rational contex.

That's basically the same thing I say for anything you put into the personal statement, so maybe I'm banging the same drum far too many times. ;)

This is an interesting thing, if you don't venture information they can't ask you that information; but if you offer the information you could (at least the way I read things) be asked about it. I'd be interested in what other admissions freaks have to think about that. Again I wouldn't be looking to pass judgement, I'd be inquiring how being a parent has changed you in some way.

This is my first year applying and I am relatively new to the process, but I wouldn't think it would matter... as long as you display your passion and commitment to your professional aspirations I think that is what will shine through. I mean, I could be wrong, but I would find it very silly if an adcom thought less of an applicant because they mentioned their daughter in their PS. I would think it shows you're responsible, mature, and loving.

I purposefully did mention that I had a family in the context of desire to successfully complete the program, there was added pressure for me to do well, if I screwed up, I wouldn't just be hurting me. Don't know if it would have affected the interview; got in without an interview.

I mentioned my daughter in my PS and I also had an extracurricular that clearly indicated I am a parent. My first few drafts had nothing about being a parent in it and I did not think they had enough me in them. My readers [professors I worked for] agreed and liked my final, more personal version better. Parenting is such a big part of your life and definitely influences career decisions, but you have to be comfortable talking about it. By mentioning it you open yourself up to be questioned on it. My husband was adamant that it would hurt me, but I got in. You just have to be true to yourself. I would not want to attend a school that thought I could not handle being a mother and a student. I am sure you already juggle lots of things and can do the same. My aunt is a big inspiration to me. She did all of her prereqs and pharm school with four kids! The oldest was 15 when she graduated from MUSC. Good luck to you. My advice is to just be genuine and comfortable with how you present yourself. Also, when writing your personal statement, if parenting fits into the story and the points you are trying to make, then use it. I agree it should not be mentioned as a blingbling badge. In my case, making a point to NOT mention it made my first drafts a little awkward.

I am not a pharmacy student and have not been accepted so I have no idea how much my opinion should count but I'll give you my two cents as a mother. Talking about pharmacy related experiences in personal statements and interviews is awesome. As a mother, I know the other experiences that are out there as well. There is something to be said for life experience in general (not just being a parent), and such experiences help to mature and to shape who you are and will be as a pharmacist. A parent knows firsthand what it is like to be selfless, up for 3am feedings and vomiting children with 103 degree fevers and still make that big ochem exam the next morning. I learned time management during my first semester back to school after the birth of my first daughter. I was using my lunch break to use my breast pump in a bathroom stall listening to people outside of the stall laughing and trying to figure out what that weird noise was coming from the stall. I used every break to call home and check on the kids and rushed home after class so that my husband to make it to work on time. To me, this says A LOT about your character and determination in that you've made it through the prereqs to the point where you can even apply to pharmacy school and should not be discounted. A lot of mothers (and fathers too) quit school after having children because it is TOUGH. I say include it and it isn't a "blingbling badge," it is proof of how much pharmacy school means to you and your determination to make it in the profession. In my opinion, the idea of your extracurriculars being judged on the same scale as someone who lives at home with their mommy and daddy is just not right. I'm not saying that every kid who lives at home with mommy and daddy have it easy but you should include your 60+ hour a week work week on your application as well! Happy writing! :D

This is only my opinion, I cannot speak for an admission committee.

Personally, I don't think having children proves any sort or thing like maturity, time management, or "loving-ness". All it proves is your cells can combine with another and produce life. Just being a parent biologically means nothing to me about the character of the person. More often than not, I see having children as an irresponsible action, (this is in regards to friends of mine, not making any judgments on any of you) especially while in school. As I see it, nearly anyone can pop out a kid, but it takes a very special kind of person to be a true parent.

If you are one of these kinds of people then power to you! I'm sure, you've learned a lot of life through your your children. I would speak about how being a parent changes your perspective and enhances your determination, but I wouldn't focus on "I'm a parent, and it's a lot of work so I can handle stress." To me, that seems like trying to use your status as a parent to further yourself, which I disagree with. People chose to have children, and should not be rewarded for dealing with life as a parent. I just don't think doing what is necessary is worthy of additional praise. If you were to explain how motherhood has affected your ambition, your desires, your goals, etc I think it would be a great way for the admissions people to get to know you personally. Like I said, I would just shy away from leaning on parenting as a crutch to make yourself look good.

Disclaimer: I say this, as a parent who no longer has a child, I have been in both situations. I just don't approve of special treatment of people who decide to be parents. (I mean things like priority seating or parking for those with kids, etc) So this whole rant is from my being a firm believer in equality regardless of status, has absolutely nothing to do with you personally, so please do not take offense. Best of luck to you. =)

This is only my opinion, I cannot speak for an admission committee.

Personally, I don't think having children proves any sort or thing like maturity, time management, or "loving-ness". All it proves is your cells can combine with another and produce life. Just being a parent biologically means nothing to me about the character of the person. More often than not, I see having children as an irresponsible action, (this is in regards to friends of mine, not making any judgments on any of you) especially while in school. As I see it, nearly anyone can pop out a kid, but it takes a very special kind of person to be a true parent.

If you are one of these kinds of people then power to you! I'm sure, you've learned a lot of life through your your children. I would speak about how being a parent changes your perspective and enhances your determination, but I wouldn't focus on "I'm a parent, and it's a lot of work so I can handle stress." To me, that seems like trying to use your status as a parent to further yourself, which I disagree with. People chose to have children, and should not be rewarded for dealing with life as a parent. I just don't think doing what is necessary is worthy of additional praise. If you were to explain how motherhood has affected your ambition, your desires, your goals, etc I think it would be a great way for the admissions people to get to know you personally. Like I said, I would just shy away from leaning on parenting as a crutch to make yourself look good.

Disclaimer: I say this, as a parent who no longer has a child, I have been in both situations. I just don't approve of special treatment of people who decide to be parents. (I mean things like priority seating or parking for those with kids, etc) So this whole rant is from my being a firm believer in equality regardless of status, has absolutely nothing to do with you personally, so please do not take offense. Best of luck to you. =)

I don't think you know the right people. I was in no way irresponsible by having children. Like I said, having children isn't a crutch, but it is definitely at the least a job. If you made it through school with a 60+ hour a week job and went to school full time, wouldn't you include it in your personal statement? Wouldn't that say something about how determined you were to become a pharmacist? I can see where you're coming from because I know people like you described. Sad really.

Also, you say that it is irresponsible to have children while in school. The average person switches careers how many times in their lifetime? Just because you have kids doesn't mean you should never return to school. Admissions committees think learning is a lifelong task and want someone who is willing to return to school/seminars/continuing education with or without kids.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you know the right people. I was in no way irresponsible by having children. Like I said, having children isn't a crutch, but it is definitely at the least a job. If you made it through school with a 60+ hour a week job and went to school full time, wouldn't you include it in your personal statement? Wouldn't that say something about how determined you were to become a pharmacist? I can see where you're coming from because I know people like you described. Sad really.

Also, you say that it is irresponsible to have children while in school. The average person switches careers how many times in their lifetime? Just because you have kids doesn't mean you should never return to school. Admissions committees think learning is a lifelong task and want someone who is willing to return to school/seminars/continuing education with or without kids.

I never said it was irresponsible to have children. I was illustrating a point that just because you have them does not automatically make you responsible. I was using the people I know as an example, not at all saying that all people with children are irresponsible. I would be a hypocrite then. =) I just meant that people for some reason say having a kid means you are responsible, and I disagree. As I sad, all it proves is you can biologically create life, not necessarily care for it. It was supposed ot be an example, not a judgment. Apologies if my intended meaning was unclear.

As far as thinking parenting as a job, I disagree with that as well. Like I said, we chose to become parents. I don't think a life choice should give anyone an "up" on anyone else. I may be unclear, but I don't see doing something necessary and required of us to be worthy of praise. I think it's the things we do when we aren't required that define us and that is what admissions committees would be interested in. I'm not going to tell my admissions officer "Hey! I brushed my teeth today!" and expect to get any special consideration. =D I'm not saying not to mention kids, but using the "job" of taking care of them as a way to illustrate responsibility, etc, I think is just wrong. I think talking about how parenting enriched your perspective is a much safer, more reasonable approach.

I have also debated whether or not to bring up the issue of motherhood in my UCSF supplemental application as well. Right now I am 15 weeks pregnant, and If I do get an interview at UCSF, they are going to see that I am pregnant and I don't want the admission committee to feel as though I tried to hide something from them in the application process. In addition, should I bring up my pregnany in my interviews? I know that technically they are not allowed to ask, however, given that it will be obvious to those at the interview, should I just go ahead and bring it up? I am sure they would want to know that I have some sort of working plan scheduled out to juggle classes, studying, rotations, and motherhood, right?

I never said it was irresponsible to have children. I was illustrating a point that just because you have them does not automatically make you responsible. I was using the people I know as an example, not at all saying that all people with children are irresponsible. I would be a hypocrite then. =) I just meant that people for some reason say having a kid means you are responsible, and I disagree. As I sad, all it proves is you can biologically create life, not necessarily care for it. It was supposed ot be an example, not a judgment. Apologies if my intended meaning was unclear.

As far as thinking parenting as a job, I disagree with that as well. Like I said, we chose to become parents. I don't think a life choice should give anyone an "up" on anyone else. I may be unclear, but I don't see doing something necessary and required of us to be worthy of praise. I think it's the things we do when we aren't required that define us and that is what admissions committees would be interested in. I'm not going to tell my admissions officer "Hey! I brushed my teeth today!" and expect to get any special consideration. =D I'm not saying not to mention kids, but using the "job" of taking care of them as a way to illustrate responsibility, etc, I think is just wrong. I think talking about how parenting enriched your perspective is a much safer, more reasonable approach.

You are twisting my words. I used the job thing as an ANALOGY demonstrating that being a parent is a huge part of your life so why wouldn't you include it? And, whether you want to call it a "life choice" or a "job" doesn't really matter because it does show good time management skills. If I didn't have excellent time management, I would have quit school a long time ago. In reality, being a (good) parent influences you much more than any job could so you're right, it isn't a job. Nobody said you should get an "up" on anyone else for being a parent so I'm confused where you were going with that? A smoker with emphysema also made a choice but does that mean we shouldn't realize it is harder for him to climb the stairs than someone else? I shouldn't have to say this, but don't take me literally on that one. Again, kids are not like smoking so don't reply appalled that I would compare kids to smoking. What I am saying is that while many others without kids/jobs/other lifestyle "choices" are joining clubs and doing great things in their lives they are being acknowledged for, (good) parents are doing just as great of a thing and it should not be discounted. Most of the things a (good) parent does in a day are not "required" of them so I guess we are on the same page.

You are twisting my words. I used the job thing as an ANALOGY demonstrating that being a parent is a huge part of your life so why wouldn't you include it? And, whether you want to call it a "life choice" or a "job" doesn't really matter because it does show good time management skills. If I didn't have excellent time management, I would have quit school a long time ago. In reality, being a (good) parent influences you much more than any job could so you're right, it isn't a job. Nobody said you should get an "up" on anyone else for being a parent so I'm confused where you were going with that? A smoker with emphysema also made a choice but does that mean we shouldn't realize it is harder for him to climb the stairs than someone else? I shouldn't have to say this, but don't take me literally on that one. Again, kids are not like smoking so don't reply appalled that I would compare kids to smoking. What I am saying is that while many others without kids/jobs/other lifestyle "choices" are joining clubs and doing great things in their lives they are being acknowledged for, (good) parents are doing just as great of a thing and it should not be discounted. Most of the things a (good) parent does in a day are not "required" of them so I guess we are on the same page.

I agree completely actually. I think we were misunderstanding each other a bit because I think we have the same idea. I've met some "parents" in school who like to use the fact that the have kids as some sort of excuse for preforming poorly or think they deserve special recognition for showing up. I actually had a woman tell me that "I cannot possibly understand what it's like to have a baby and homework!" Meanwhile, when I was 9 months pregnant, I was still working full time and going to school. I don't expect any sort of special treatment, because I did what I had to do. I'm sure all of you with children are/have been in the same boat. I guess I'm having a hard time explaining, but I just feel that saying to an admission committee "I have kids so that proves I am responsible and can manage time well" is silly. Personally, I would rather speak about "how my children provide me an even greater sense of determination because I want to achieve my goals and make them proud" or something like that. I just think that explaining how being a parent has effected your mindset is much more useful to a committee than trying to prove your ability to handle a heavy workload.

At my last interview, they mentioned things we should consider before we accept matriculation. One of them was family & having kids/getting pregnant. They didn't discourage it by any means, but they said it will be extremely challenging to be a parent & a student. That being said, it is possible, just means a lot of hard work. But if it was easy everyone would do it.

This thread is very helpful for me. I have been contemplating the same issue, however, I don't think I have any choice but to address it since I am currently 6 mos pregnant with my first and have an interview. It would be the purple elephant in the room if I tried to ignore it, I think. I did briefly mention it in my essay just to lay it all out on the table in the very beginning. We'll see how this all works out, fingers crossed. :luck:

This thread is very helpful for me. I have been contemplating the same issue, however, I don't think I have any choice but to address it since I am currently 6 mos pregnant with my first and have an interview. It would be the purple elephant in the room if I tried to ignore it, I think. I did briefly mention it in my essay just to lay it all out on the table in the very beginning. We'll see how this all works out, fingers crossed. :luck:

Good luck!

I mentioned my daughter in my application, my personal statement and during the interviews. I didn't ramble on about being a parent, but I did say that my husband and I had discussed what would be expected of me if accepted and we were prepared for what would lie ahead. I tried to point out everything I had accomplished since she was born and to emphasize how being a parent made me more determined, not less focused.

Two of my interviewers were very interested in this particular skill set, (in a good way) so I don't think it hurt. The only time I really made a point of her was on a supplemental application asking which branch campus I'd prefer if I was accepted. One campus was much more desirable for us, and I explained that it was because she was already enrolled in the local school system, etc...

We have several students who are moms and dads and were when they were accepted. I don't know how many of them divulged it in their PS though. I know it came up in my interview. I haven't read my PS since I sent it in, so I honestly don't remember if I mentioned my kids in it or not. I seem to recall bringing it up in the interview though.

I would just watch out how you bring it up. I had a class where the teacher said it would be a tough semester and he asked if there was anything anyone wanted to tell him about any issues they have(health, children, etc, it was implied). Anyway, a lady raised her hand and went on a rant about how she had a daughter and she was the most important thing in her life and she would always come first to any other commitment. that semester anyone ending up with her in a group had to hear about how she didn't know whom the dad was and how she was late or had to leave early for her etc....

SOOO my point is, probably just keeping it to how you can time manage yourself. There isn't really much they need to know beyond that. I know lots of people are married and/or have kids in pharmacy school, so it should not hinder your acceptance at all.