Downsides of the shotgun approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1048249

Just out of curiousity, aside from cost, are there any downsides to the shotgun approach to applying to dental schools. For example applying to 20+ schools (IS + Private + OOS friendly) instead of 10, just to maximize your chances. Especially since most schools are doing online interviews, you don't even have to travel for them. Other than having to fill out a ton of supplemental apps, I don't really see a downside to applying to a bunch more schools than necessary just as a safety net, even if you have high stats.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe the quality of your secondaries, as there would be less time put into each one?

Maybe the quality of your secondaries, as there would be less time put into each one?

True that but a bunch of schools don't require secondaries, and a lot of them happen to be private schools or more favorable OOS schools as well.

You can kinda cherry pick your approach and apply to schools that don't require secondaries. In the end if you apply to 20 schools, you'll probably still have to fill out 10 or so secondaries

I just got this idea from the pre-med forums. It seems like those dudes regularly apply to 20+ schools to increase their chances of getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you won't allow me to say cost - zero downside. This was my approach and once I had completed 12-13 interviews as well as had my initial round of acceptances on Dec 1, I turned down any additional interviews offered.

Reactions: 1 users
Downsides are this will cost you an insane amount of money in app fees and travel $ for interviews. This is only a decent idea if you have bad stats, and even then you can kiss most of that money goodbye because you'll be effectively donating it.

Downsides are this will cost you an insane amount of money in app fees and travel $ for interviews. This is only a decent idea if you have bad stats, and even then you can kiss most of that money goodbye because you'll be effectively donating it.
I got an email from Case Western saying they received my app and that they will most likely be holding virtual interviews this year. I imagine most schools will probably do the same which really sucks, but may also help you save a ton of money in travel and hotels.

I applied to 15 schools last cycle (low academic stats), if I had to do to it again I would have only applied to 5-6 schools.

Don't give your money to schools that have outrage tuition costs just to be put in a a situation where your only choice(s) are those schools. be selective with your choices

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email from Case Western saying they received my app and that they will most likely be holding virtual interviews this year. I imagine most schools will probably do the same which really sucks, but may also help you save a ton of money in travel and hotels.
Wow if this is the case that sucks. A major part of the interview experience is seeing the facilities, meeting the students, and getting the general vibe of the area.

Reactions: 1 user
If you won't allow me to say cost - zero downside. This was my approach and once I had completed 12-13 interviews as well as had my initial round of acceptances on Dec 1, I turned down any additional interviews offered.

This is exactly my idea here. I have a really high GPA but I'm not taking my DAT till early August (which means my app won't be verified till late Aug, early Sept) so I know I'll be relatively late in the cycle and most seats will probably already be assigned their interviews. So I feel like I'll probably need to do a shotgun approach to snag the few remaining interviews.

I looked up the cost to apply to each school, and with supplmentals and everything applying to 10-15 schools will run you like 2-3k whereas applying to 30 schools will run you ~6k or so. Since there aren't any travel costs due to covid, you're really only paying 3k more to give yourself a better shot at making it in somewhere. I think that $3k is worth not having to take a gap year.

Schools don't ask you how many other schools you're applying to right? So there aren't any downsides other than cost and having to do a bunch of secondaries?

I applied to 15 schools last cycle (low academic stats), if I had to do to it again I would have only applied to 5-6 schools.

Don't give your money to schools that have outrage tuition costs just to be put in a a situation where your only choice(s) are those schools. be selective with your choices

Were you accepted to more than one of them? If so, you could say that. I wonder if you would say the same if you weren't accepted to any of them or barely to one or two.

Point is, it all depends on the applicant and the stats.

Were you accepted to more than one of them? If so, you could say that. I wonder if you would say the same if you weren't accepted to any of them or barely to one or two.

Point is, it all depends on the applicant and the stats.
when I applied I didn't understand or inform myself about the true cost of the application process, dental school cost and how tough it actually is to pay back loans (prior to COVID-19). Had I actual researched this when I first applied, I would still only applied to 5-6 schools.
There is no reason to for me to have given up If I don't get in the first time. many applicants don't get in on their first try.

Schools don't ask you how many other schools you're applying to right? So there aren't any downsides other than cost and having to do a bunch of secondaries?
Some definitely do. I was in your spot 3 years ago with a high GPA and I got a high DAT score to match, but I still applied to 13 (?) and got 8 interviews. Went to 4, got 4 acceptances. 30 schools would be such a waste of money tbh.... 3k may not seem like a lot to you rn but everything adds up quick in dental school, and there are so many other things to pay besides tuition and housing....

Some definitely do. I was in your spot 3 years ago with a high GPA and I got a high DAT score to match, but I still applied to 13 (?) and got 8 interviews. Went to 4, got 4 acceptances. 30 schools would be such a waste of money tbh.... 3k may not seem like a lot to you rn but everything adds up quick in dental school, and there are so many other things to pay besides tuition and housing....

Haha to be honest with you idk if I can get a 25AA. I'm thinking initially I'll apply to about 15 schools, and then once my DAT results are out I'll either add more or stay at 15

At the end of the day I'm gonna ask my parents what they think since it's their money not mine.

Also from what I've read on past threads, only NYU and Nova ask about what other schools you applied to right? Other Dental schools wouldn't know where you've applied? NYU is out of my budget anyways

This is exactly my idea here. I have a really high GPA but I'm not taking my DAT till early August (which means my app won't be verified till late Aug, early Sept) so I know I'll be relatively late in the cycle and most seats will probably already be assigned their interviews. So I feel like I'll probably need to do a shotgun approach to snag the few remaining interviews.

I looked up the cost to apply to each school, and with supplmentals and everything applying to 10-15 schools will run you like 2-3k whereas applying to 30 schools will run you ~6k or so. Since there aren't any travel costs due to covid, you're really only paying 3k more to give yourself a better shot at making it in somewhere. I think that $3k is worth not having to take a gap year.

schools will not ask you in any formal capacity for information regarding other interviews, etc.