Downstate Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
benfolds21 said:
I received an email on Friday saying:

"Congratulations on your acceptance to the College of Medicine, SUNY
Downstate Medical Center! According to our Office of Financial Aid, they do
not have a financial aid application from you. Perhaps you have decided that
you do not need to apply for financial aid, and that is fine. However, if
you do wish to apply for a financial aid package, you must submit an
application as quickly as possible."

Yet I haven't received a paper acceptance yet and I called and they said that they couldn't tell me anything but it is a good thing. That was all.

Has anyone else had this happen? I know I am pretty much accepted but I want to withdrawal from all my other schools to get my deposit money back ASAP since Downstate is my top choice

I got this email also when I was at work just minutes after my mother called me to tell me that I got an acceptance in the mail. So, you should be getting a paper confirmation soon. I live in Queens so it probably got to me faster.

By the way, has anyone done the "Shadow-a-Student" thing or know if there are any other formal second look opportunities ?

Members don't see this ad.

benfolds21 said:
I received an email on Friday saying:

"Congratulations on your acceptance to the College of Medicine, SUNY
Downstate Medical Center! According to our Office of Financial Aid, they do
not have a financial aid application from you. Perhaps you have decided that
you do not need to apply for financial aid, and that is fine. However, if
you do wish to apply for a financial aid package, you must submit an
application as quickly as possible."

Yet I haven't received a paper acceptance yet and I called and they said that they couldn't tell me anything but it is a good thing. That was all.

Has anyone else had this happen? I know I am pretty much accepted but I want to withdrawal from all my other schools to get my deposit money back ASAP since Downstate is my top choice
I saw on your MDapplicants page that you interviewed for md/phd on 1/5, and you got a decision already. But did you also interview for something on 12/5? I interviewed for the MD program on 1/5, is it bad that I haven't heard anything yet? Thanks

MAC12383 said:
I saw on your MDapplicants page that you interviewed for md/phd on 1/5, and you got a decision already. But did you also interview for something on 12/5? I interviewed for the MD program on 1/5, is it bad that I haven't heard anything yet? Thanks

I interviewed for MD on 12/5 and then MD/PhD on 1/5. They make both decisions at the same time hence why my MD took a while.

I wouldn't worry so much. I just found out last night in an email I got into the MD/PhD program so I am DEFINITELY going next fall!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who is officially going to Downstate in the fall:

Do you know if they help with finding roomates for apartments? I need to get NY residency so I need to get an apartment.

benfolds21 said:
Anyone who is officially going to Downstate in the fall:

Do you know if they help with finding roomates for apartments? I need to get NY residency so I need to get an apartment.
I haven't gotten a decision yet, but from what I've read, they don't help you find roommates, although the housing office does give you suggestions on where to get an apartment. For finding roommates, people use sdn. I know last year's class did it on the official c/o 2009 thread, but that was more toward the summer. Here's this year's thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=242837

This would probably be the best place to post if you're lookin for roommates. Good luck.

I'm in!! Got the big yellow envelope today, interviewed 1/5. Exactly 8 weeks. I'll most likely be there in the fall. Good luck to anyone who's still waiting.

MAC12383 said:
I'm in!! Got the big yellow envelope today, interviewed 1/5. Exactly 8 weeks. I'll most likely be there in the fall. Good luck to anyone who's still waiting.

Congrats MAC!
Looks like i'll be eager checking my mail next week, interviewed on 1/11. I'll be hoping for that big yellow envelope!

radioh3ad said:
anything today? anyone?
Patience my friends.

When I interviewed (1 Feb) they said it would be 8 weeks before we hear anything.

n3ur05ur930n said:
Patience my friends.

When I interviewed (1 Feb) they said it would be 8 weeks before we hear anything.

You interviewed Feb 1? hmmm...who are you?

Apparition said:

i interviewed feb 1 too! i was the one not wearing an all black suit and it was a skirt suit. i went back to manhattan with a bunch of people.

oh, and i haven't heard anything yet. i'm thinking mid to end of march we'll get something from them.

wendywellesley said:
i interviewed feb 1 too! i was the one not wearing an all black suit and it was a skirt suit. i went back to manhattan with a bunch of people.

oh, and i haven't heard anything yet. i'm thinking mid to end of march we'll get something from them.

I can't remember who was wearing what! I wore a black suite too. Were you on the 2/5 train with like 5-6 people, including a guy whose friend came to the interview tour?

Did anyone who got accepted in the past few days NOT receive an email acceptance? I know there is a letter in the mail for me, but I have received no emails...do you guys think this means I was not accepted or have people gotten in without receiving the email?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

ILuvTodd said:
Did anyone who got accepted in the past few days NOT receive an email acceptance? I know there is a letter in the mail for me, but I have received no emails...do you guys think this means I was not accepted or have people gotten in without receiving the email?
I got the acceptance in the mail yesterday but didn't receive any email. I think the email has to do with financial aid. if you haven't filled out a fafsa and sent it to the school yet, i think the email is askign when you plan on doing that. I already submitted fafsa before i got accepted, so i dindt' get an email. have you submitted any financial aid applications?

Members don't see this ad :)
ILuvTodd said:

I was accepted, and did not get an acceptence e-mail along with it. The letter was in big manilla envelope however, very tell tale. I hope this helps.

KAI1927 said:
I was accepted, and did not get an acceptence e-mail along with it. The letter was in big manilla envelope however, very tell tale. I hope this helps.

I have not submitted my FAFSA yet...so new question...is there anyone who did NOT submit FAFSA and was accepted withOUT receiving an email acceptance notification??? :scared: :scared: :confused: :confused:

ILuvTodd said:
I have not submitted my FAFSA yet...so new question...is there anyone who did NOT submit FAFSA and was accepted withOUT receiving an email acceptance notification??? :scared: :scared: :confused: :confused:
I had not submitted a fafsa when I was accepted (sans e-mail), however it was still 2005, so it was not yet available.

Apparition said:
I can't remember who was wearing what! I wore a black suite too. Were you on the 2/5 train with like 5-6 people, including a guy whose friend came to the interview tour?

yeah, i was on the 2 (the 5 is on the east side, we were on the west side).

My application was placed on "hold".....is that an automatic waitlist?

Anybody has any interview advice for Downstate? My interview is coming up in a few days :scared:

DrKitty said:
Anybody has any interview advice for Downstate? My interview is coming up in a few days :scared:

good luck and congrats!! i liked downstate lots. don't be too surprised by the neighborhood. my favorite was the "above and below 99 cent store". yeah, it's ghetto. the interview itself was really laid back and was actually my best and favorite one. just be excited about medicine.

DrKitty said:

REVIEW YOUR AMCAS VERY WELL!!!!!!!

Downstate has a lot of claims to fame (nobel prize faculty, MRI, etc.), read about them in the history on the website....even if they don't ask about them, you can mention them. they might ask about how you handle stress...they're looking for you to talk about your "personal support system" that you wrote about in your secondary.

DrKitty said:
Thanks so much for your advice :)
Downstate is very big on group learning and helping each other out. They want team players.

I had my interview on 2/27. I'm from california so most of my question was gear toward why am i out all the way in brooklyn and if i'm comfortable around african american.

By the way, does anyone know how long it would take before i get my result? Should i call them?

Apparition said:
Why did you also interview then?

pacboy said:
I had my interview on 2/27. I'm from california so most of my question was gear toward why am i out all the way in brooklyn and if i'm comfortable around african american.

By the way, does anyone know how long it would take before i get my result? Should i call them?

They told me it takes about ten weeks. However, it seems as though the majority of people have been hear closer to six weeks post-interview...although recently it appears to have slowed down to about eight weeks. This is probably because there are fewer spots and they are waiting to hear about matriculation from their acceptances.

I just got my big yellow envelope from Downstate!!! I'm soo excited. Will probably be going here, unless something happens at my state school(will need a miracle) I feel like Charlie with the Golden Ticket!
interviewed 1/11 accepted 3/13
washington state resident

Any Downstate news lately?

I just got this e-mail from them. Did anyone else get it?

We apologize for the length of time you have been waiting for a decision on your application, following your interview. Our Admissions Committee is backlogged and we expect that it may take as long as 10 weeks from the date of your interview before you will receive written notification about your status.

Therefore, please try to be patient and do not worry if you have not received any letter from us yet, as it is not a reflection on your credentials or the interview. If the Committee does review your application sooner, you will of course, be notified promptly.

If you have already decided to attend another medical school, please send us your withdrawal notice by email ([email protected]) or by fax (718 270-7592) as this will benefit other applicants.

Again, our sincere apologies for this delay.

Apparition said:
Any Downstate news lately?

I just got this e-mail from them. Did anyone else get it?

We apologize for the length of time you have been waiting for a decision on your application, following your interview. Our Admissions Committee is backlogged and we expect that it may take as long as 10 weeks from the date of your interview before you will receive written notification about your status.

Therefore, please try to be patient and do not worry if you have not received any letter from us yet, as it is not a reflection on your credentials or the interview. If the Committee does review your application sooner, you will of course, be notified promptly.

If you have already decided to attend another medical school, please send us your withdrawal notice by email ([email protected]) or by fax (718 270-7592) as this will benefit other applicants.

Again, our sincere apologies for this delay.

yeah. i got that.

I interviewed there on March 7th, and they told us it will be 10 weeks to hear final decisions. That means I will hear after May 15th, but that doesn't make sense :confused: After May 15th, I am already supposed to choose which school to attend :mad:

DrKitty said:
I interviewed there on March 7th, and they told us it will be 10 weeks to hear final decisions. That means I will hear after May 15th, but that doesn't make sense :confused: After May 15th, I am already supposed to choose which school to attend :mad:

not necessarily.
this is from the tufts website for interviewed students:

The rule actually means that after May 15, accepted applicants should be holding only one accepted position in one school at any one time. However, in addition to that one accepted position, applicants are free to hold an unlimited number of wait list positions, and they are free at any time prior to actual enrollment to accept a new offer from a preferred school, so long as they then immediately decline the previously held acceptance.

Medical schools report their acceptances and withdrawals to AMCAS. That data then becomes available to all admissions officers via the AMCAS database, so that during the summer any admissions officer can view any applicant's current accepted positions.

so you can say you are going to school X on may 15th, but if downstate tells you on May 16th that they want you, you can drop school X and commit to downstate.

wendywellesley, thanks so much, I did not know this. Downstate is my first choice, so I was worried :)

DrKitty said:
wendywellesley, thanks so much, I did not know this. Downstate is my first choice, so I was worried :)

mine too :)

good luck!

Cool!!! My thread has gotten so popular :)

I just withdrew from Downstate, so hopefully one of you peeps from this thread will get the spot (here's looking at you DrKitty!).

tkdusb said:
Cool!!! My thread has gotten so popular :)

I just withdrew from Downstate, so hopefully one of you peeps from this thread will get the spot (here's looking at you DrKitty!).

Thanks tkdusb - for the thread and for giving those of us who wish to attend downstate a shot now that you have withdrawn your acceptance. Hopefully, others will follow your lead.
G'luck - Mo