Downstate and Stony matriculated stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the average gpa and mcat of matriculated students at these SUNY schools (not to be confused with accepted stats from MSAR)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

And also, how do the two schools compare? Which one would you choose to go to and why?

At my interview at Stony Brook they told us the average MCAT of this year's first-years is a 32. I withdrew my interview at Downstate after I got accepted to SB, so I haven't actually visited the school, etc., But I know I would rather be on L.I. than in Brooklyn (but I would rather be in Manhattan than on L.I. of course). I've just heard that Downstate doesn't have the best facilities, and that the quality of education there is lower than at SB. Medicine at Downstate would probably be a little bit too raw for me, although that could be an upside for some people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Stony Brook is considered a more "prestigious" school overall than Downstate, although Downstate has a reputation for an unparalleled clinical exposure.

Stony Brook is prestigious allright but I got the feeling that most students just study there 24/7. A second year student told me that many of them are in labs upto 7 pm on certain days. I wonder where they get the time for reading outside of class.

Anyway, you might find this link interesting. It has their admissions data from
'94 - '04.

https://cbase.som.sunysb.edu/som/fac_retreat_uploads/26.pdf