DOWNSTATE ANYONE??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaddingtonBear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, looks like I will be going to SUNY Downstate this fall (depends on some waitlists). Anyone out there also going?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation as you! Depending on some waitlists, I have Downstate as my current primary choice. I am excited to get started and get myself elbow deep at Kings County! :D

Yes, Kings County will be quite an experience, I heard you have to be careful not to get locked up by accident in the mental ward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or maybe after working 100+ hour weeks, one WILL want to be locked up in the mental ward! ;)
Are you on waitlists in the NYC area, or futher away? My waitlist is also in NYC, so I won't have to worry about moving. It would be nice to finally know where I am going, however!

May 15th is just around the corner, guys. Waitlists at every med school tend to shift A LOT (some more than others, however). In any event, good luck and hope you go to your top (available) choice school! :)

Coming to Downstate wouldn't be so bad. The County's infamous, but if you don't wanna do anything there you can almost get away with that. As for the "mental ward," there's a separate psychiatric hospital on the grounds. Word is MS3s who rotate at the County for Psych carry a GIANT KEY that weighs a good 10 lbs. to open every door. Think we have electronic card-key systems here at the County? NOPE.

I've been waitlisted there too. Is there preferential ranking of waitlisted students other than getting "the package". Does everyone get "the package"?

I am still wait listed at NYU, waiting patiently. I will not be upset if I have to attend Downstate, after all I did get into a medical school and it will be cheap and its reputation is alright.

I am waiting for the results of the lottery to return. If I get a single room I will probably live in the dorm, if not, then I will live at home.

There is a single group of wait-listed candidates, prpeared initially in March and finally RANKED after all interviews are completed in April. Detailed info about the likelihood of acceptance cannot be provided.
Applicants should submit final transcripts by July 15, proof of CPR training by August 1, and a letter indicating their continued interest. Supplementary material will have no effect on likelihood of acceptance.
Greatest movement occurs after May 15. As many as 30 students have been accepted after June 15, but the number varies year by year.

Gower, I'm almost afraid to ask how you could possibly know all that. You're a spooky kid.

Originally posted by PaddingtonBear:
•I am waiting for the results of the lottery to return. If I get a single room I will probably live in the dorm, if not, then I will live at home.•

Did you ask for a single dorm or single studio? There are major differences -- like a shower and a kitchen -- but the single dorm is a ripoff! (I live in one now)

Turtle, I thought you said somewhere else that you lived in Park Slope. Was the commute to long, or something? I hope not. I'm planing on commuting to and fro from Williamsburg (by car).

I just asked for whatever single room is available at the time.

Hey tutrtleboard, is there any need for a stehoscope for the first year? Is there any need for them on Wendsdays when you go to your clinical assignment?

Hey Paddington Bear, we are both doing the same thing, literally! The waitlist I am waiting patiently for is also NYU. It does feel nice to be accepted at Downstate and the difference in tuition is beginning to become more daunting. However, until choosing between the two schools even becomes an option, I too will be waiting to hear and contemplate buying a stethoscope. Good luck to you! Let us know what you decide!

Yes, you need a stethoscope for MS1 if you come to Downstate. Most get the Littmann Cardiology III, but other (high quality) models are OK. You will learn how to take blood pressure the first few weeks of school. Then, depending on who your clinical mentor is, you may continue to take BP throughout the year. Good luck on your decisions!