Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Downstate Dorms

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by me2, Apr 6, 2002.

1. me2

me2 Member

I am pretty set on attending Downstate next year, however, I am having difficulties deciding whether I should live at home or on campus. I live close to the school (30 min by bus), but wanted to know if living on campus has it's advantages in terms of socializing and "lighting the burden" of studying. I would appreciate any comments on pros and cons of dorm life in med school.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster

Attending Physician
    I lived in the dorms as a second-year. I don't beleive most students spend all that much time in the dorms, so facilitating any kind of social activity while in theory should be possible, I don't think it's very likely. Anyway there's a culture that's built around the study carrels and a lot of students build friendships that way.

But I had sort of a bad experience in the dorms. A lot of other students had very positive experiences. Being only 30 minutes away by bus (quicker by car I'd gather), I'd live at home and get a car.

Good luck.

4. rubyness

rubyness Senior Member

fer tha lovva god----LIVE AT HOME!!!! You don't want pay out the yin-yang to share a small cement box with an idosyncratic stranger for the first year of med school!

It's nothing particular to the Downstate dorms, but the dorm life in general. Ugh!!

5. Cody1MD

Cody1MD USF MPH/DrPH

Other Health Professions Student
    I will also be starting at Downstate in August. I will be planning on living in the dorms. Its not as bad as everyone says. I got a lot of positive feed back from students regarding the dorms. I only live 15-20 min by car as it is, but I strongly feel that I will be better prepared as a student if I live across the street at the residence halls. Since I live close by, I plan on going home for a day or two on the weekends to get out of the med school environment. And u don't have to live withsomeone if u really don't want to, just make sure u hand in ur residence application on time and indicate that u want a single.

Best of luck,
    mike