Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Downstate neighborhood

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by amalalucilla, Apr 10, 2007.

1. amalalucilla

amalalucilla New Member

Pre-Medical
    To current downstate students or anyone live in/know about the neighborhood, is the area around downstate (flatbush/E flatbush) really that bad? I'm actually thinking of buying a house there. Is it worth it?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Downstatedoc

Downstatedoc New Member

Medical Student
    the neighborhood is pretty bad.....doctors get mugged pretty regularly...i'm not over exaggerating, i personally dont like to walk around when it gets dark...there are usually problems with punk high school kids.

4. cbass1350

Attending Physician
    I agree with the above statement. I'm not a Downstate student but I lived in Brooklyn for a while and Flatbush has a bad rep. There are much better areas in Brooklyn and are easily accessible to your hospital by train. Check out the Bay Ridge area.

5. amalalucilla

amalalucilla New Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks downstatedoc and cbass1350 for answering my question. I found a co-op in a 24 hr security building 2 steps away from the school (310 lenox rd). I figured since i need to make the trip to the subway station anyway if i wanna live in a safer place and commute, i might as well live close to the school. so the only difference is whether it's scary at night when im in my apt. do the houses get broken in or robbed? will ppl knock on ur door or throw things at ur window? lol ive lived in manhattan and queens for 9 years and i dunno how much worse flatbush is.

6. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Moving to Pre-Allo. Other Pre-Downstate people might want this information.

7. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

go there at night and find out.

8. Soggun

Resident [Any Field]
    Honestly, the area was one of my biggest doubts while making my decision. As of now though, I've decided that it's worth it to go to a school that matches as well as Downstate does and offers a wealth of top notch clinical experience. I don't have all that much experience with Flatbush (grew up in Queens), but I have heard pretty bad things. That being said, I can't imagine it being that bad if all you have to do is walk across the street from the med school to the dorms (which is where I plan on living). I do not, however, plan on taking too many midnight strolls.

9. samwise2

Medical Student
    i think it may be a bit wrong to say that your only concern is whether it is safe to be there in your apt at night, since you are buying the place...
    after all, it's an investment, and with any real estate investment, you should always consider whether the property will appreciate. to me, that neighborhood does not seem to be on an upward trend. 4 years hence you might not even break even selling the place. however, who knows? you should consult a real estate agent--one who is NOT the one selling you the property.

i apologize in advance for my money-oriented perspective--previous career in i-banking dies hard... ;) best of luck. live in park slope! i am there now and i love it!

10. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

so if you're going to buy, maybe an area between park slope and flatbush that you could buy cheap but would be due for gentrification in four years?

11. Jejton

Pre-Medical
    Depending on the part of Flatbush vs. Manhattan, it can get much worse. Like was said above, look into other neighborhoods. Park Slope - nice but expensive - is nearby, as are Midwood, Marine Park, Sheapshead Bay, Georgetown/Bergen Beach. These are more residential neighborhoods with more limited public transportation options so check to see before you decide. My wife is in Downstate nursing program now and we live 15 minutes away by car but an hour away by public transportation and the DS area really sucks especially at nite.

12. Jejton

Pre-Medical

You will want to go to stores, movies, etc. and leave the Downstate area often enough that is should be a consideration.

13. Soggun

Resident [Any Field]
    Fair enough, but right now my only other choice is Drexel. Given the reputation of both and the $$$ that drexel charges, I think Downstate is a fairly clear choice. Obviously the neighborhood has to be considered, but it isnt enough to make me choose drexel instead.

14. Akimbo752

Pre-Medical
    This is related .. but quasi -- not related. To any current downstaters, is it at all realistic to hope to commute from my super-awesome super-cheap loft in williamsburg, via bicycle, subway when it rains, or will I go through like, 40 bikes over the year and several muggings.

Also, it is just too far?