Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Downstate Question?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Cody1MD, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Cody1MD

Cody1MD USF MPH/DrPH

Other Health Professions Student
    Do downstate provide any online course material for lectures and labs??? (Like lecture slides or lab picture slides) If so do downstate students
    recommend missing morning lectures, while using transcripts, texts, and online course material to supplement ones studying.

thanks,
    mike

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Going to lectures depends on your individual learning style. Some students learn better by going to lectures, other learn better by reading the text on their own. As for online course materials, when I was a first-year we had all the films for the anatomy exam on line, histo slides, sample questions, and generally a whole bunch of stuff available on the computers. The great thing about the system was that you can access it from anywhere through the school's website.

4. Cody1MD

Cody1MD USF MPH/DrPH

Other Health Professions Student
    Turtleboard did u make it a habit to go to lectures during ur first two years? Did u find that the lecture transcripts pointed out in any way the main points that professors stress for exams? Thanks for ur response I greatly appreciate it.

mike

5. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    I did in the first-year, but failed to have the same enthusiasm for my second-year lectures. Obviously I had to rely on something for the second-year lectures, so yes, I did look at the transcripts.

I personally don't find the transcripts to be all that helpful. As a first-year I only read the transcripts when the lecture notes were horribly difficult to understand, and even then I read the PREVIOUS year's transcripts. For whatever reason every class reads the year before's transcripts. :)

6. riverweb

riverweb Member

I went to almost all the MS1 lectures, and have gone to very few MS2 lectures. MS2 is full of LOTS of memorization, and hearing the lecturer say it doesn't really help me. On the other hand, some of the MS2 lectures are GREAT (eg. renal, cardio), so I went to those.

You can ask around when you get here. There's a fairly strong tradition of classes passing along advice/recommendations to the upcoming classes. I think you'll find the Downstate student body to be helpful and supportive. Congrats on your admission!