Downstate--Where to live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverweb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm MS1 at Downstate this Fall, and need to move to Brooklyn. Anybody have any suggestions/advice on where to look for an apartment? (Don't want to live on campus.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on who you are and what you are accustomed to. As a general rule Park Slope is the place to go. It is a section of Brooklyn just north of Prospect Park. The good places are anywhere the streets are numbered 1-10 and the avenues are numbered 1-8.

BTW Park Slope is one of the most expensive sections in Brooklyn. You will likely pay about $1000 for a reasonable place there.

I moved to East Flatbush (about 5 blocks from the school). I'm used to the neighborhood, so I am able to take advantage of the "relatively" low rents there (if you consider $1200 low rent).

You may also want to consider Clinton Hills and Midwood. Both are along Flatbush avenue, and are a little more reasonable price-wise than Park Slope. They are all pretty convenient to Downstate by bus or train.

[This message has been edited by Sheon (edited 07-07-2000).]

Thanks, Sheon!

I'm taking this info with me today to Brooklyn.