Downstate

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Asianqt79, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Asianqt79

Asianqt79 Junior Member

hi i was wondering what the class schedule at Downstate is like? What time do classes usually end? are there weekend classes? is the schedule everyday the same? unfortunately I couldnt attend the second look thing b/c i had to work... I'd appreciate anything anyone can tell me =o)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    MS1 and MS2s begin at about 9AM everyday and end LECTURE at about noon. There's a one-hour lunch break, and then it's off to some afternoon program: MS1- Gross, Histo, CBL, POP, Conferences. MS2- Histopath, Gross Path, CBL, POP, Conferences, Journal Club, Patient stuff.

No weekend classes. Wednesdays are devoted to "Essentials of Clinical Medicine."

The schedule is pretty much the same throughout the first and second-years. MS3 starts really early and ends really late, but you don't need to worry yourself about that just yet. [​IMG]

Good luck. I was at Second Look for those of you who were there. I was wearing a backwards baseball cap. [​IMG]

------------------
    Tim Wu.

4. riverweb

riverweb Member
    10+ Year Member

Typically, we have lectures in the morning, 9-11, and some kinda something (Tim listed above) in the afternoon. We are usually out of class/lab by 3pm.

Every Wed morning you have alecture and then a small group session for clinical medicine. Every other Wed. afternoon you will be tailing your clinical mentor, a doc in the area.

The school will give you a detailed calendar at the beginning of the year, and you will see that each day has a special schedule. (It must be a nightmare to put that thing together! anyway...)

5. Asianqt79

Asianqt79 Junior Member

so after 3 im pretty much free? i was just wondering b/c i wanted to teach a class at kaplan and i needed to have a general idea of the schedule... thanks! i cant wait to start school =o)

6. Mikado

Mikado Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Why teach for kaplan? The Princeton Review pays more and will allow you to specialize in one subject which makes life easier. Just a thought.

Mikado

7. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Teach Kaplan? That's cool. I think we're fairly close to the Kings Highway Kaplan Center.

------------------
    Tim Wu.

8. Asianqt79

Asianqt79 Junior Member

hehe Mikado... i didnt kno princeton review paid better, and i had to sign a contract with kaplan saying i wouldnt teach for anyone else for a year =oP that's what i get for not doing research =o)

9. Mikado

Mikado Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes QT Princeton is a much better employer than Kaplan. Pay is better, office is nicer, people are more decent.

Also, don't worry about that secrecy contract nonsense. I worked for both companies in order to find out which was best. TPR wins hands down and Kaplan was none the wiser. That contract is not worth diddley.

Mikado