1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Downstate

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Abibas, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Abibas

2+ Year Member

I have an interview at Downstate this week, does anyone know if their class is filled and/or if I am interviewing for the waitlist?

2. WildTumor

WildTumor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There's no way to know but I hope not since I have one NEXT week

3. Soggun

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Bad news: I don't know whether or not the class is filled, but I would be inclined to think it is based on when in the cycle we're at and the impression I got from interviewing there a month ago.

Good news: The waitlist apparently moves pretty quickly at Downstate, so even interviewing for waitlist isn't that bad.

4. mdm_sparkle

mdm_sparkle Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know what wait list movement was like last year? What percent of the wait list is accepted?

5. Enwysefinest

2+ Year Member

The wait list did not move last year. I am sure you can find the thread. Of the 20 plus people on sdn who reported being on the alternate list, only one was accepted. Previous years it has moved, last year not at all.

6. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just got an interview invite today too. Do schools really interview just for the waitlist?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. samgeez

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i am pretty sure i will turn down my acceptance unless they give me a lot of scholarship money (which i really doubt). So there is one spot.

The best way to look at it is...not going on an interview gauruntees that you will not get on the waitlist or get an acceptance. Good luck to everyone.

8. Kfire326

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not sure if they're interviewing for the waitlist or not, but here's my 2 cents:

Throughout my entire interview I got the feeling that I'd be waitlisted. My interviewer said: "Your GPA is not bad...*shrug*...your MCAT is not bad...*shrug*...your school is not bad....*shrug*..." He also spent a lot of time talking to me about how the waitlist works, and when they accept off the waitlist.

Then I asked him a question, and we talked for about 10 min after that. In that 10 min I showed him that I was sincerely interested in going to Downstate. I think THAT is one important thing they look for. It seems like they don't want to accept someone that won't matriculate there.

--> accepted 1 month later