Downward GPA Trend Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

First off...I expect to get flamed but I don't care because this is a legit question. I'm looking for serious answers...sorry that I'm a perfectionist but oh well that's who I am..

How bad does this GPA trend look...

Freshman year: 4.0
Sophomore year: 4.0
Junior Year: 3.7

Overall: 3.92

I KNOW ITS STILL A 3.9++ GPA!!!! But the fact one did the worst in the last year looks horrible I think. This is more of a worst case scenario question for me...I doubt I'll get only a 3.7 this year but IF I did I really think it'd hurt me at some schools.

PS: I am NOT trolling...this is a real question. My friend got denied with a 3.99 and 33mcat...its understandable to ask this.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, given that you started with a 4.0, its rather difficult to get an upward trend isn't it?

Don't sweat it, upper division classes are harder than lower division ones. A few Bs wont hurt you in the long run :p

Well, given that you started with a 4.0, its rather difficult to get an upward trend isn't it?

Don't sweat it, upper division classes are harder than lower division ones. A few Bs wont hurt you in the long run :p

I 100% agree with you- its just seeing these insanely smart kids get denied...the "system" makes me feel like crap sometimes! The fact I'm even concerned about this makes me realize how crazy it is to get in sometimes :(

The fact I said "Only a 3.7"...as if that is bad LOL. What is the world coming too :|

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it will really hurt you. Even if you only get a 3.7 this year you will still have a 3.8+. Obviously it will not look as good as starting with 3.7s and ending with 4.0s but it is still strong.

Yeh, you need to calm down and relax. You are fine. A 3.7 for one year won't hurt your application at all. Like zero effect.

I don't think it will really hurt you. Even if you only get a 3.7 this year you will still have a 3.8+. Obviously it will not look as good as starting with 3.7s and ending with 4.0s but it is still strong.

Yeh, you need to calm down. A 3.7 for one year won't hurt your application at all. Like zero effect.

Thanks guys I needed to hear this..just one of those semesters where its constant chaos + MCAT studying. Not like a 3.7 is even bad really...all 300/400 level chem and bio classes anyways. Thanks for calming me down..I'm crazy I know :)

I 100% agree with you- its just seeing these insanely smart kids get denied...the "system" makes me feel like crap sometimes! The fact I'm even concerned about this makes me realize how crazy it is to get in sometimes :(

The fact I said "Only a 3.7"...as if that is bad LOL. What is the world coming too :|

the "system" is just fine...it is you who is just overly neurotic. if it was all about GPA and MCAT we wouldn't even need to apply...schools can just send out acceptance letters to those with the best numbers. The fact that you are so alarmingly concerned about a drop in your GPA from 4.0 to 3.7 makes me concerned that you might not be putting enough emphasis on other parts of your application, which i'm sure was the same mistake that your friend with a 3.99 and a 33 made.

Just FYI, I know of one top ten school that clumps total gpa's above 3.75-3.8 together so if your working extra hard to keep up a 4.0 while letting your EC's slip (which is what your friend might of done), then your hurting yourself in that way as well.

At the same school, your junior/senior year grades are weighed more heavily, so your not at a disadvantage or anything, but you are not going to get the same amount of points added to your overall application as someone with a 3.8+.

the "system" is just fine...it is you who is just overly neurotic. if it was all about GPA and MCAT we wouldn't even need to apply...schools can just send out acceptance letters to those with the best numbers. The fact that you are so alarmingly concerned about a drop in your GPA from 4.0 to 3.7 makes me concerned that you might not be putting enough emphasis on other parts of your application, which i'm sure was the same mistake that your friend with a 3.99 and a 33 made.

The reason it is dropping is because I am putting so much effort into EC's, getting published as primary author etc, doing tons of clinical and leadership etc. If being a primary author and doing plenty of clinical work + leadership in the community isn't enough oh well...I'd rather be smart than sacrifice grades anymore.

Rebound this semester...and you'll be fine.
One 'bad..........?' semester isn't going to affect you when your cgpa will be over 3.8.

And the 3.99/33 combo looks weird.. Did your friend "choke" (relatively speaking, according to his/her potential or practice scores) or maybe the 3.99 is inflated (due to soft classes/soft major or something?).

Just FYI, I know of one top ten school that clumps total gpa's above 3.75-3.8 together so if your working extra hard to keep up a 4.0 while letting your EC's slip (which is what your friend might of done), then your hurting yourself in that way as well.

At the same school, your junior/senior year grades are weighed more heavily, so your not at a disadvantage or anything, but you are not going to get the same amount of points added to your overall application as someone with a 3.8+.

I would say my friend did not do as many EC's as he could have due to keeping the GPA up- I am sure that is why he didn't get in to our instate program

The reason it is dropping is because I am putting so much effort into EC's, getting published as primary author etc, doing tons of clinical and leadership etc. If being a primary author and doing plenty of clinical work + leadership in the community isn't enough oh well...I'd rather be smart than sacrifice grades anymore.

Well, as long as it's not, say, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 1.5 in Basket weaving, 4.0, 4.0, I don't think you're going to get any serious negative attention.:thumbup:

Rebound this semester...and you'll be fine.
One 'bad..........?' semester isn't going to affect you when your cgpa will be over 3.8.

And the 3.99/33 combo looks weird.. Did your friend "choke" (relatively speaking, according to his/her potential or practice scores) or maybe the 3.99 is inflated (due to soft classes/soft major or something?).

Yeah I know what you mean, I am not sure what he was doing on practice scores or anything. He worked his ass off every single day in school though so thats why he got a 3.99...most people can get a 3.9+ (well depends on the school..) with enough effort

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, as long as it's not, say, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 1.5 in Basket weaving, 4.0, 4.0, I don't think you're going to get any serious negative attention.:thumbup:

LOL! If I can't weave a basket how will I do surgery :eek::eek::D

LOL! If I can't weave a basket how will I do surgery :eek::eek::D

LOL! I go to a liberal arts school and we need 5 fine arts credits (music, art, drama) from two different areas for the core. I am very musically inclined, but I have no artistic ability at all. So I have 7 or 8 music credits and during this last winter term, I took jewelry making for my art class. lol. I mean, I can't paint, I can't draw, I can't do pottery. Sure, I can get an A in O chem, but art is just terrible. So, I jokingly justified my jewelry making class by saying that it's a great pre-req for surgery. :laugh::D

First off...I expect to get flamed but I don't care because this is a legit question. I'm looking for serious answers...sorry that I'm a perfectionist but oh well that's who I am..

I KNOW ITS STILL A 3.9++ GPA!!!! But the fact one did the worst in the last year looks horrible I think. This is more of a worst case scenario question for me...I doubt I'll get only a 3.7 this year but IF I did I really think it'd hurt me at some schools.

PS: I am NOT trolling...this is a real question. My friend got denied with a 3.99 and 33mcat...its understandable to ask this.

I am willing to money back guarantee you it wasn't his GPA and MCAT that did him in.

Last edited:

You're fine. You wouldn't be fine if you had a 4.0 that went to a 3.0. If you're losing sleep about this, see a psychiatrist. If your friend got denied with a 3.99 and a 33, it's for reasons other than his stats-- he didn't have enough extracurriculars, bad ps, bad lors, late application, poor interviewing skills, no clinical experience, didn't apply to enough safety schools/only applied to reach schools, farted at all his interviews, or he's lying to you about his stats because he's paranoid. Seriously, worry about getting into med school, but don't worry about it on account of your gpa-- if you're worried about your gpa, pop some prozac and get yourself laid. It'll help.

lol agreed but i don't love it. good luck though. "stop sweating the small stuff"

I was being a little sarcastic about that last part :D

To the OP: its easy to get caught up in the small stuff. You are golden. Some would be psyched about a 3.7 throughout their college career.

In any case...you can relax, even with another year of 3.7 you will be totally fine. Just make sure the rest of your app is as outstanding as your GPA and you will have your pick of med school.

Good Luck :)

It seems you are in great shape alaska (no pun intended).
So excuse me, I might hijack your thread.

My downard trend is worse, 3.78, 3.78, 3.52. How will this look?
What's worse is my science GPA trend, 4.0, 3.8, 3.2.
Overall and science are both 3.65-3.70. Will this look really bad?

It seems you are in great shape alaska (no pun intended).
So excuse me, I might hijack your thread.

My downard trend is worse, 3.78, 3.78, 3.52. How will this look?
What's worse is my science GPA trend, 4.0, 3.8, 3.2.
Overall and science are both 3.65-3.70. Will this look really bad?

It doesn't look great BUT if I recall correctly you destroyed the MCAT buddy...so I think having a 3.7 overall with your high MCAT puts you in awesome shape!!

It doesn't look great BUT if I recall correctly you destroyed the MCAT buddy...so I think having a 3.7 overall with your high MCAT puts you in awesome shape!!

Well, 12 in Bio is not exactly destroying it. But thanks anyway.:)
I'm just really worried.