Downward GPA trend/SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, My situation is pretty bad. I am a Bio major. I started Freshmen Year with 3.7 GPA, sophomore year with 3.1, and junior (3rd year) with about a 3.0 (im predicting), both my science GPA and cumulative GPA is 3.1 at most. The reason is depression, which I am seeking to cure, I go to a clinical psychologist.(im getting better). My question is I probably-realistically-will not get in with my stats, I haven't taken the MCAT, but I think I should go do a SMP (special masters program) at the osteopathic medical school I want to go to? What are my options? Am I doomed? Becoming a doctor is my dream. It hurts to see that I'm making really bad grades because I'm letting this illness come in my way. I'm working really hard to just be fine, and pull my grades up, thanks 4 the advice guys, I am getting better.

Members don't see this ad.

See how you do on the MCAT first. The GPA isn't great, but it could be worse. A good MCAT score will give you a chance.

An SMP wouldn't be a bad idea, but like TT said you can't say much until that MCAT. Besides, SMPs are made for your situation so just do as well as you can on that MCAT and then come back for help.

If you take a gander in the Low GPA thread in the post-bac thread, there is plenty of success stories and they're not that hard to believe. They had to work for it, but it's never impossible.

Hi, My situation is pretty bad. I am a Bio major. I started Freshmen Year with 3.7 GPA, sophomore year with 3.1, and junior (3rd year) with about a 3.0 (im predicting), both my science GPA and cumulative GPA is 3.1 at most. The reason is depression, which I am seeking to cure, I go to a clinical psychologist.(im getting better). My question is I probably-realistically-will not get in with my stats, I haven't taken the MCAT, but I think I should go do a SMP (special masters program) at the osteopathic medical school I want to go to? What are my options? Am I doomed? Becoming a doctor is my dream. It hurts to see that I'm making really bad grades because I'm letting this illness come in my way. I'm working really hard to just be fine, and pull my grades up, thanks 4 the advice guys, I am getting better.

Id take the MCAT, try applying based on that and if you don't feel confident about that cycle have an SMP already planned out.