MD Downward trend, need advice to boost morale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLeadSeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am currently a sophomore at a large, public state school, a Maryland resident, and a non-URM (asian). I am currently on winter break, and really need to evaluate myself and get back on track.

Here are my grades/stats:

High school unweighted: 4.0

College:
Freshman Fall:
Bio 1: A-
Chem 1: B
Chem 1 lab: A
Honors Engl: A
Honors Calc.: A-
Logic: A

Semester GPA: 3.69

Freshman Spring:
Bio 2: W
Chem 2: Audit
Chem 2 lab: F
Seminar Gen.ed: W
Honors Art: A
Communication: A

Semester GPA: 3.43
Cum. GPA: 3.61

Sophomore Fall (most recent):
Anatomy 1: W (got 99 on first exam, but got cocky and stopped trying. Had to withdraw last minute)
Anatomy 1 lab: W
Chem 2 retake: B
Chem 2 lab retake: C
Seminar Gen.ed retake: B
Honors Soci.: A-
Acting: A

Semester GPA: 3.31
Cum. GPA: 3.51

Obviously I've been on a downward trend. I really want to go MD, but am now also considering DO due to grade forgiveness. Becoming a doctor is my dream, and I want to pursue it. I know I have what it takes to do well. It's just I have bitten off too much I can chew EC wise, and haven't been the best with time management.

My EC's for next semester will be: SGA Senator, Student Ambassador, being in a Fraternity, being involved with the Honors College, and recently got into a relationship. I will also begin volunteering at a hospital, and will also apply for an RA position for next year.

This is my schedule for this Spring semester:
Anatomy 1 retake:
Anatomy 1 lab retake:
Genetics:
Orgo 1:
Honors Psych:

I could really use some advice on what to do in order to succeed from now on. Do you guys think I still have a shot at MD school (I really want to go to my state school, U of Maryland, but at this point any MD school would suffice). I really have to work on an upward trend and prove myself. Also, I plan on taking the MCAT Spring of my senior year, 2016. How are my grades so far, and what can I do to improve? Do I still have a shot at becoming a doctor? I really need to boost my spirits and just feel more secure. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

You seem to have a trend of doing well in the first part of a sequence and then dropping off in the later part of the sequence. I think your lesson learned in anatomy will function as your litmus test for if you really learnt anything. Now, here's the good news, you're still just a sophomore with a decent cumulative GPA. Almost everyone will experience a lapse at one point in college, at least it'll give you something to write about during your application about experiencing educational hardships. So, its really important that you use this moment to turn things around for your scores and for your AMCAS narrative. You're not out of the MD game, but you aren't doing yourself any favors by all the retakes because all the grades are averaged together anyways for MD schools, as you probably already have assumed be open to applying to DO schools as well.

But, before any of that, figure out what's making you perform this way. You owe it to yourself and your future patients to troubleshoot your problem:

• Schedules too packed? Do less and focus on your grades, don't let ECs destroy your grades because you're trying to fit into a application year.
  • Depressed/stressed? Go to the Campus Psychological Services center or go talk to a trusted advisor and vent.
  • Feel unmotivated? See the bullet point about stress and depression.

Only you can select yourself out of MD programs at this point.

Good luck.

Contact yours schools' learning center to see if they can help you with learning skills.

If any sort of nasty life event has hit you (like, say, dad getting cancer), seek out a therapist to help you cope.

Hey everyone, I am currently a sophomore at a large, public state school, a Maryland resident, and a non-URM (asian). I am currently on winter break, and really need to evaluate myself and get back on track.

Here are my grades/stats:

High school unweighted: 4.0

College:
Freshman Fall:
Bio 1: A-
Chem 1: B
Chem 1 lab: A
Honors Engl: A
Honors Calc.: A-
Logic: A

Semester GPA: 3.69

Freshman Spring:
Bio 2: W
Chem 2: Audit
Chem 2 lab: F
Seminar Gen.ed: W
Honors Art: A
Communication: A

Semester GPA: 3.43
Cum. GPA: 3.61

Sophomore Fall (most recent):
Anatomy 1: W (got 99 on first exam, but got cocky and stopped trying. Had to withdraw last minute)
Anatomy 1 lab: W
Chem 2 retake: B
Chem 2 lab retake: C
Seminar Gen.ed retake: B
Honors Soci.: A-
Acting: A

Semester GPA: 3.31
Cum. GPA: 3.51

Obviously I've been on a downward trend. I really want to go MD, but am now also considering DO due to grade forgiveness. Becoming a doctor is my dream, and I want to pursue it. I know I have what it takes to do well. It's just I have bitten off too much I can chew EC wise, and haven't been the best with time management.

My EC's for next semester will be: SGA Senator, Student Ambassador, being in a Fraternity, being involved with the Honors College, and recently got into a relationship. I will also begin volunteering at a hospital, and will also apply for an RA position for next year.

This is my schedule for this Spring semester:
Anatomy 1 retake:
Anatomy 1 lab retake:
Genetics:
Orgo 1:
Honors Psych:

I could really use some advice on what to do in order to succeed from now on. Do you guys think I still have a shot at MD school (I really want to go to my state school, U of Maryland, but at this point any MD school would suffice). I really have to work on an upward trend and prove myself. Also, I plan on taking the MCAT Spring of my senior year, 2016. How are my grades so far, and what can I do to improve? Do I still have a shot at becoming a doctor? I really need to boost my spirits and just feel more secure. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely have to reevaluate my schedule and see what's holding me back. Medicine is what I want to do with my life, and hopefully I keep up a positive mindset.