DPM agreed to write a LOR; isn't responding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a few months ago I had a DPM agree to write a LOR after shadowing him for a decent amount of time, and he was happy to do it for me. I've emailed him twice (one time last month and another time this month) to make sure he knows that the application process for the next cycle is beginning soon. He didn't respond to either of them. Does anyone have advice on what to do in this case? Should I call the office? I understand the answer might seem obvious but I also acknowledge that there is a fine line between being persistent and being a downright annoyance.

Members don't see this ad.

Drop by the office dressed nicely with a tasteful flower arrangement for the staff, a hand written thank you letter for the doctor (thanking him for the amazing opportunity to shadow him), and another envelope with a copy of your resume, and a note that gently reminds him of the LOR and the need for it to be written sooner rather than later. In the past I would have included a stamped, addressed envelopes, but I'm sort of under the impression that you have to submit electronically now.

If that doesn't work then he probably doesn't want to write a letter for you.

So a few months ago I had a DPM agree to write a LOR after shadowing him for a decent amount of time, and he was happy to do it for me. I've emailed him twice (one time last month and another time this month) to make sure he knows that the application process for the next cycle is beginning soon. He didn't respond to either of them. Does anyone have advice on what to do in this case? Should I call the office? I understand the answer might seem obvious but I also acknowledge that there is a fine line between being persistent and being a downright annoyance.

Some doctors may be very busy and may not respond right away. The time frame you sent him the email seems generous and reasonable. Maybe he forgot to reply. Best thing to do is always "in person". Stop by the office and take heybrother's advice above. Talk to the staff, let them know, and also give thanks. Be prepared with a resume, preferably a CV, since that was asked of me when I needed a LOR from a DPM. Hopefully he's not the type that just doesn't care, and only you can judge that from your experience with his personality. If you can make the effort to come by his office again just to say thanks and to remind him, that would be the ultimate way to get the message across that you need the letter from him, and that he will write a letter for you (hopefully) or not. It's best to talk to him in person. Some docs do not write a letter simply because they did not like you, and let's hope this is not the case. They can be just as ignorant as they can be, which is mean.

I had this experience before where I contacted the doctor I shadowed and he never responded to my e-mails. I sent him at least three e-mails and they were in reasonable time frame. I wanted to visit the doctor in person, but the distance was way too far, so I contacted only via e-mail that was given. During that time waiting for a reply, I had a plan B and shadowed another podiatrist at a University clinic, and he ultimately wrote a good letter for me to get in podiatry school. The podiatrist that wrote my letter communicated through e-mail and I sent him everything through that. With this said, if the doctor you shadowed is in private practice they are usually not good with emailing and communication. Through a clinic or University, they are generally better and respond quick since it's needed for public and academic professionalism. Just my experience.