DPM = Doctor of Plant Medicine???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ilizarob sent me an interesting attachment. The website can be viewed by clicking on the link below.

http://www.dpm.ifas.ufl.edu/currentStudents/

Members don't see this ad.

That's really wacky. I wonder if the income would actually be great enough to justify spending that much time and money on the education. Do the HMOs plants have reimburse well? I'd think that environmental engineers, horticulture grad students, and plant geneticists or biochemists could do almost the same level of work with less training. Maybe only Doctors of Plant Medicine can prescribe certain plant medications and admit plants to plant hospitals?

Regardless, that acronym is pretty ludicris and shows me the program is pretty new (1999). Especially with podiatry being pretty well grounded in Florida (a model state for scope of practice), I'm surprised they didn't realize that the degree name would step on more than a few toes. I hope the FPMSA gives them a call pretty soon lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
Some thing similar happened with us a year back. a guy called to our Imaging Center for some info. saying he is calling from XYZ medical clinic group and he is one of the MDs there and he wanted to come for MRI. Thinking that a MD is coming and in the hope of getting referrals from him, we offered him free service and also gave him tour of facility,etc. Since it was a busy day, no one asked any more details. We took his card and that also said Mr. A , MD (That clinic name). Later when my dad went for marketting he found out that the guy was a not MD as a medical doctor but MD as a the Managing Director:eek: of that Clinic group. :laugh: everyone was so pissed off bcoz we did a free MRI to him:smuggrin: Still he was the Director, so it was not that big loss.:cool:

i think APMA shud file a case against this. it will really create a lot of confusion. i plan to open my practice in rural area. I really dont want a farmer confusing my DPM with that DPM and end up carrying some plant in hand and shouting "Doctor! Doctor! PLZZZZ Save my plant. he is my everything, i cant live without him.":confused:

Out of shear curiosity, I have emailed both the program at the U of Florida and the President of the FPMA.

It seems like a good program. Crop disseases have caused countless millions to starve throughout history, and it happens still all the time.

That said, the "doctor of plant medicine " title is absurd, it should be a Ph.D.(or at least Plant.D. ) program

It seems like a good program. Crop disseases have caused countless millions to starve throughout history, and it happens still all the time.

That said, the "doctor of plant medicine " title is absurd, it should be a Ph.D.(or at least Plant.D. ) program

I agree, the name should be changed to cause less confusion. I also agree making fun of it like someone was is quite rude. It's a very serious field that could help millions around the world. And if you read the news at all, oranges in Cali are in trouble already. Florida is still trying to recover from years back. I'm not trying to start a fight, I just thought the person who had to mock it was rude. But I do agree that a "DPM" could cause confusion, and the other person made a good suggestion about a "plant D." or something along those lines.

This explains a lot. When I interviewed in AZ, I was confused by all of the references to feet and "people medicine". I was so excited to study the lower sonoran life zone, and could not grasp why they were asking me about the lower extremity.:confused:

Maybe after I am a podiatrist, I can diagnose ailments of the lower stems. :laugh:

I agree, the name should be changed to cause less confusion.

I don't think it causes any confusion in a real-world setting. I'm sure 99% of the people out there have never heard of a "plant doctor." They aren't going to confuse you with them. Further, won't your business card or practice name tell patients what you do (such as "Foot and Ankle Surgery", or "Podiatry" etc)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! Good to hear from you. It has been a while. I'll be headed up your way in June.

Jon are you officially going to DMC? If that's the case then congratulations man! It's a great program for sure. If they ever consider me for an interview then it's a significant achievement in my book lol

Jon are you officially going to DMC? If that's the case then congratulations man! It's a great program for sure. If they ever consider me for an interview then it's a significant achievement in my book lol

Nothing's "official" until March 12 but ya, I'll be there.

Nice! Good to hear from you. It has been a while. I'll be headed up your way in June.

DMC as in Detroit Medical Center? Residency?

Ilizarob sent me an interesting attachment. The website can be viewed by clicking on the link below.

http://www.dpm.ifas.ufl.edu/currentStudents/

Interesting, I found a few more suspicious acronyms, and the fruits of my labour include:

D.V.M = Doctor of Vegetable Medicine

D.D.S. = Doctor of Dendrological Surgery

P.Pharm.D. = Doctor of Plant Pharmacy

D.P.T. = Doctor of Plant Therapy

Ed.D. = Doctor of Edibles

M.F.A. = Master of Fruity Appendages

M.P.A. = Master of Plant Administration

M.P.H. = Master of Plant Health

M.B.A. = Master of Botanical Aromatics

Remember the words of Leonard "Stems" McCoy, DPM: "Damn it, Jim, I'm a botantist, not a doctor!"

Reactions: 1 user
... going to DMC? If that's the case then congratulations man! It's a great program for sure. If they ever consider me for an interview then it's a significant achievement in my book lol
I'm not being rude, but you haven't even externed there, have you? How can you be so sure you're interested and will be applying there before you even go there? I don't think OCPM does core rotations there, do they?

Don't get me wrong, DMC sounds very good and well rounded to me based on opinions here and 4th years I've spoken with who have externed there... but many other programs do also. The program also has some great alumni, but I still want to see what my impression is when the time comes. It's hard to know much since they don't have a website. I know it's been around awhile, but residencies can change very fast based on the faculty and # of cases, can't they? You could also have some 2nd and 3rd year residents who are a nightmare to work for and make you do all the boring work while they do all the cool surgery. You never know...

I know the "top 10/20/etc" are popular, but personally, no matter how much I hear about any program, it'd be tough for me to say I really want to get a residency there until I saw the place, met the staff DPMs and other residents, etc. Are some programs really so good that they're a good fit for anyone and people apply based on nothing more than word of mouth? Just trying to learn a bit here...

I don't know how that is legal. It leads to confusion within the medical field. Imagine if a doctor of plant medicine (DPM) applied for privledges and never disclosed what their DPM means.

My guess is, there are certain degrees that are more likely to cause a rukus (e.g., MD, JD, DDS, DO). Not too many folks know what DPM stands for and there is no way anyone would mistake DPM (plant or pod) for MD or DO.

My point, unless it affects lawyers or doctors, no one cares. The Am Pod Ass'n should be having a fit about this and taking the University to court as the DPM designation is likely to cause confusion. The court would assess the facts and most likely rule that there are other, viable and reasonable alternatives to DPM...for example, DBM (Dr of Botanical Medicine) or DPS (Doctor fo Plant Surgery/Science), etc.

The main reason why the university did not want a PhD program appears to be nature of the program. In other words, the DPM is meant to be a clinical professional degree, not an academic research credential like the PhD. Maybe a DA or ScD degree would be sufficient? Plenty of other options out there. I'm surprised the proposing department at the University didn't receive a slap across the face from the University Counsel who should have spotted such an egregious mistake!

My guess is, there are certain degrees that are more likely to cause a rukus (e.g., MD, JD, DDS, DO). Not too many folks know what DPM stands for and there is no way anyone would mistake DPM (plant or pod) for MD or DO.

My point, unless it affects lawyers or doctors, no one cares. The Am Pod Ass'n should be having a fit about this and taking the University to court as the DPM designation is likely to cause confusion. The court would assess the facts and most likely rule that there are other, viable and reasonable alternatives to DPM...for example, DBM (Dr of Botanical Medicine) or DPS (Doctor fo Plant Surgery/Science), etc.

The main reason why the university did not want a PhD program appears to be nature of the program. In other words, the DPM is meant to be a clinical professional degree, not an academic research credential like the PhD. Maybe a DA or ScD degree would be sufficient? Plenty of other options out there. I'm surprised the proposing department at the University didn't receive a slap across the face from the University Counsel who should have spotted such an egregious mistake!

I don't understand why they did not use DBM? A doctor of botanical medicine? Then there is no confusion or problems.

I'm not being rude, but you haven't even externed there, have you? How can you be so sure you're interested and will be applying there before you even go there? I don't think OCPM does core rotations there, do they?

Don't get me wrong, DMC sounds very good and well rounded to me based on opinions here and 4th years I've spoken with who have externed there... but many other programs do also. The program also has some great alumni, but I still want to see what my impression is when the time comes. It's hard to know much since they don't have a website. I know it's been around awhile, but residencies can change very fast based on the faculty and # of cases, can't they? You could also have some 2nd and 3rd year residents who are a nightmare to work for and make you do all the boring work while they do all the cool surgery. You never know...

I know the "top 10/20/etc" are popular, but personally, no matter how much I hear about any program, it'd be tough for me to say I really want to get a residency there until I saw the place, met the staff DPMs and other residents, etc. Are some programs really so good that they're a good fit for anyone and people apply based on nothing more than word of mouth? Just trying to learn a bit here...

before we get all excited there my friend, I also know DMC alumni and I have visited the program before externing there - I never said I'm going there for sure - but am I not entitled to work my tail off and try to interview at one of the best programs? Yes things do change from time to time - and residents change obviously, but this doesn't negate the fact that this is a great program.

If I saw DBM after someone's name I would think they got their degree in Demineralized Bone Matrix.

Fine Sam how about Doctor That Loves Plants and Saves Them From Bad Things and In Return Is Loved by Plants Except That Dang Ragweed (DTLPSTFBTIRILPETDR). Is that better?

Fine Sam how about Doctor That Loves Plants and Saves Them From Bad Things and In Return Is Loved by Plants Except That Dang Ragweed (DTLPSTFBTIRILPETDR). Is that better?

I'm not sure that would cut it because it has PETDR at the end and someone may confuse that with a vet:rolleyes: ;)