Dpm/md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feetman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I have been hearing, Scholl might be offering a DPM/MD degree sometime in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have been hearing, Scholl might be offering a DPM/MD degree sometime in the future.

Why would someone want a DPM/MD degree? Isn't the whole reason we're going into podiatry because we want to specialize in the foot and ankle from the beginning?

Lol, first start DPM program and survive our classes and then think abt a combined DPM/MD program. The DPM program itself is so exhausting and time consuming, you practically have no time left for anything. If they start a DPM/MD program its gonna be very horrible and tiresome. May be 1st,2nd yr can be made common like DMU, AZPOD but 3rd and 4th yr rotations, boards,etc. It makes no sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will serve a purpose. It will allow those students who couldn't get into medical school to "backdoor" their way in. I suggest a different route. Do a 1 year masters program and study hard to increase your MCAT.

Like the other posters have alluded to, the dual degree is meaningless unless you want to bill for both podiatric procedures and primary care procedures.

every podiatry school offers a DPM/MD degree, the program itself just takes longer. what you do is you get a DPM from the podiatry school (4 yrs+3 yrs residency) then you retake the mcat and apply to allopathic medical schools (4 yrs+3-6 yrs residency). you're looking at around 14-17 yrs of education and a LOT of debt but it's totally worth it dude!~

every podiatry school offers a DPM/MD degree, the program itself just takes longer. what you do is you get a DPM from the podiatry school (4 yrs+3 yrs residency) then you retake the mcat and apply to allopathic medical schools (4 yrs+3-6 yrs residency). you're looking at around 14-17 yrs of education and a LOT of debt but it's totally worth it dude!~

:laugh::thumbup:

It will serve a purpose. It will allow those students who couldn't get into medical school to "backdoor" their way in. I suggest a different route. Do a 1 year masters program and study hard to increase your MCAT.

Like the other posters have alluded to, the dual degree is meaningless unless you want to bill for both podiatric procedures and primary care procedures.

A "backdoor" into medical school:laugh:

If you were to do the DPM program at Scholl, (or probably any other podiatry school) you would soon realize that "you are in medical school"! Second of all, we take many credits with the MD students, and our classes do follow theirs pretty closely. I've heard that their looking at converging the programs in the first two years because it wouldn't be that far off from where its at right now. But the MD part probably would come into play with a couple more years of rotations.

Lol, first start DPM program and survive our classes and then think abt a combined DPM/MD program. The DPM program itself is so exhausting and time consuming, you practically have no time left for anything. If they start a DPM/MD program its gonna be very horrible and tiresome. May be 1st,2nd yr can be made common like DMU, AZPOD but 3rd and 4th yr rotations, boards,etc. It makes no sense.

Besides a couple more initials, people would do the program just to have more possible opportunities. Especially if someone wanted to be part of an Ortho group. A DPM/MD could have some benefits however I agree that you would still want to do a PM&S-36.

haha, where do I sign up? :thumbup:

every podiatry school offers a DPM/MD degree, the program itself just takes longer. what you do is you get a DPM from the podiatry school (4 yrs+3 yrs residency) then you retake the mcat and apply to allopathic medical schools (4 yrs+3-6 yrs residency). you're looking at around 14-17 yrs of education and a LOT of debt but it's totally worth it dude!

Don't forget, you'll also be 5 yrs away from a career ending stroke due to all the stress and debt! Some ppl just love asking for pain

Besides a couple more initials, people would do the program just to have more possible opportunities. Especially if someone wanted to be part of an Ortho group. A DPM/MD could have some benefits however I agree that you would still want to do a PM&S-36.

The ortho groups that would want an MD after your name are also looking for you to take ortho call. The only way that you could do that is to do an ortho residency. DPM/MD = redundency of the D and M

I am thinking of getting my DPM/MD/DO/RN/PA/MBA/QRSTUV degree but the thing is I don't know if it will be challenging enough for me.

Years in school: 27 1/2
Debt accumulated: $3,457,231
Having the whole alphabet behind your name: Priceless

:thumbup: