DPM or PA??? Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hughesn2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am kinda new to this forum. Currently I am a senior at Michigan State as a Lyman Briggs Physiology major student. Currently my GPA is a 3.33 GPA (science 3.00), but after this semester it will probably be around a 3.22 GPA. This is mostly b/c I am taking a Physio and BioChem course in which is known as more challenging and more difficult than the Physio and BioChem courses you learn in even Pre-Med courses (coming from past MSU students). I am stressing out because as of now I plan on having a cumulative GPA of about a 3.20 GPA after next Spring semester (science GPA around a 2.80)

So my question is: Does any PA school near Michigan accept GPAs around 3.20 GPA. I know that Western Michigan has an average of a 3.30 GPA, but has anyone gotten accepted into a PA program with a GPA of about a 3.20 GPA. I am planning on getting my clinical hours this Summer with a local doctor who I have already spoken with (I am a CNA). Lately I have been looking at podiatry b/c I actually wanted to go into Podiatry throughout HS.

I know that their GPA is a little bit lower. My issue is that I still have to take a couple extra courses that PA school requires that my major does not. I don't want to take two courses that could lower my GPA if I know that it is nearly impossible to get accepted into any PA school. Also, same goes with the clinical hours. Why waste 1000 hours of clinical hours if a 3.20 GPA with a low science GPA won't get me into any PA school?

I am planning on seeing a Pre-Professional adviser next week, but I would like to see what some people who have previously been accepted or rejected have to say about this.
THANKS!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know anything about getting into p.a. programs. but you should decide what you would rather do. going to p.a. school and d.p.m. school is two totally different things.

maybe you should post onto p.a. forums i think it would be more helpful
http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/forum.php

Last edited:
Yeah i was just curious of what you really want to do. The PA profession is totally different from podiatry. Are you just looking to get into any school that will take your GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Based off these numbers alone it'll be a challenge getting into PA school. Also without a GRE score it's hard to tell your chances accurately...

One thing I think you should keep in mind: Pod school is 4 years + a 3/4 yr residency. PA school is 2/3 years with no residency. So don't worry about the extra year in ugrad, in the grand scheme of things PA is a much shorter route to go.

What is your ultimate goal? It seems like you just want any career in the medical field. I highly suggest shadowing some DPM's if you are thinking about podiatry, it might not be what you want to do. As for PA stuff, I understand what you mean, I have friends who switched to pre-med because PA school is so stupidly difficult to get into in the good ol' Great Lakes State. Regarding the extra classes; I'm pretty sure you only have to take the classes before you matriculate. If you end up getting an acceptance, you can defer and then take whatever classes you need to finish. It works like that with med school, I'm not sure about PA school though.

Your GPA is right around the average for DPM schools. With an MCAT of of 24 or so, you should be fine. But, as mentioned, the two careers are vastly different. Shadow, apply early, cross your fingers, enjoy.

I thought I did mention that I actually wanted to go into Podiatry throughout all of HS. I know podiatry pretty well and have shadowed a family friend for a week during HS. And I have done the same thing for PAs as well. I did post in the PA forum as well.
I would rather go into PA school, but my second option has always been podiatry. But now it is more b/c I realized that my GPA is kinda low for PA school.
Reason I did like PA school was the length of time and no residency needed.

I am not one of those kids that just wants to be a doctor just for the money. I want to go into medicine to help, but why attempt to take another 7-10 credits and cost my parents (and me) thousands of dollars on courses in which I don't need for my major, but just PA school.

But thanks for the input!!!

I shadowed a PA before when I first got interested in getting into the medical field. Overall its an awesome job, and you can do great things.

I just thought podiatry was more interesting, and had more autonomy. I could see myself doing that for life, and being happy.

That being said you could get into either... but main factor will be gre or mcat.

Last edited:
I thought I did mention that I actually wanted to go into Podiatry throughout all of HS. I know podiatry pretty well and have shadowed a family friend for a week during HS. And I have done the same thing for PAs as well. I did post in the PA forum as well.
I would rather go into PA school, but my second option has always been podiatry. But now it is more b/c I realized that my GPA is kinda low for PA school.
Reason I did like PA school was the length of time and no residency needed.

I am not one of those kids that just wants to be a doctor just for the money. I want to go into medicine to help, but why attempt to take another 7-10 credits and cost my parents (and me) thousands of dollars on courses in which I don't need for my major, but just PA school.

But thanks for the input!!!

Ahh ok I see. Yeah, it's basically your choice.

"Just listen to your heart, that's what I always do."
A prize for anyone who knows where this quote is from!

You probably should look more into the PA forums, but this is what I know about PA. Getting into PA is seems to be about as hard as getting into a lower tier MD or any DO school. Lets look at Samuel Merritt
PA
#of Applicants 1261
#Accepted 55
From what I have read that ratio is normal among many PA programs. Another thing to look at a lot of PA programs require 500-2000 hours of frontline health care work (some require it being paid instead of volunteer work), so you might want to look into that requirement too.
In all honesty it can be done, there are people who get into MD programs with that GPA. I would figure out first what you truly want to do as those are 2 very different jobs. I would say PA and NPs will have an extremely bright career future as I see more reliance on these para health professionals for treatment.
Best of luck

Have you looked at becoming a CRNA? This thread got me interested in PA, etc so I did some research.

CRNA's average $160k. Only a two year program and half the debt. WTF!!

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't pods considered successful if they make $160k? Doesn't make sense that a glorified nurse can make that money.

brb going to nursing school followed by a 2 year CRNA program. Profit.

Have you looked at becoming a CRNA? This thread got me interested in PA, etc so I did some research.

CRNA's average $160k. Only a two year program and half the debt. WTF!!

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't pods considered successful if they make $160k? Doesn't make sense that a glorified nurse can make that money.

brb going to nursing school followed by a 2 year CRNA program. Profit.

I think pods are considered successful if their patients are happy and on their feet, not by the number of zeroes on their paycheck. I don't know much about anesthesia, but I do know its stressful, have fun. :)

Nursing school
2 year CRNA program
???
Profit

FTFY

This has been thoroughly discussed on this very forum. CRNA is not easy to get into. There are very specific educational and experience requirements to even be considered.

This has been thoroughly discussed on this very forum. CRNA is not easy to get into. There are very specific educational and experience requirements to even be considered.

I have looked into CRNA, it is about as hard as getting into a DO program, a lot of nurses want that nice paycheck. You also need to work in an acute care setting for a minimum of 3 years (to be competitive it probably would need more than that). Again though it is a very different job vs DPM.