DPMs Hospital and Surgical Privileges (ABPM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post the recently published article about Hospital/Surgical privileges for DPMs. It is a position statement from ABPM, one of the two specialty boards for our profession (other being ABFAS).

While we are just students, it's never too early to know such things. Give it a read!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Hospital and Surgical Privileges for Doctors of Podiatric Medicine.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You want to hear something? Some of these fellowship trained guys can’t pass abfas. One of the “top” programs has an attending who does “big” cases who is only ABPM certified.

You want to hear something? Some of these fellowship trained guys can’t pass abfas. One of the “top” programs has an attending who does “big” cases who is only ABPM certified.

I'm sure that's true. All thanks to how this profession (residencies) was before 2011, imo.

But with the new changes to the ABFAS exam (effective Aug 2020), there should an increase in the overall pass rate and more pods getting surgery privileges. Imo, those that pass it should be the only ones doing surgery and being on any type of board.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The whole abfas thing is a scam. We all know it, especially the ones who have sat through all their BS. If the hospital staff wants you to NOT do surgery, they will find a way. Heck, I just had a convo with a CEO of a nearby hospital. He told me podiatry just isn’t profitable to the hospital, that’s why he never considered employing one. He rather have orthos do cases and FNPs do wounds.