DPT Admissions and Organic Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franklinave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a bad grade in organic chem any more damaging than a bad grade in another course, provided that the pre-req gpa and general gpa are both good?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the school, but IMO a bad grade in one of the pre-reqs is worse than a bad grade in history for example. So if you have an A in gen chem I and II which are usually the pre-reqs for DPT and a C in organic chem, then I think you should be okay.

Possibly more damaging than an unrelated course but definitely less damaging than a prereq, assuming that "bad grade" means a 'C'. If you actually fail a course, I don't imagine schools would look favorably on that, but I don't know the weight of the consequences either. Your overall math and science GPA (one of the GPAs that PTCAS calculates) may take a minor hit, but you should be just fine as long as you did well elsewhere. Isn't it a given that everyone struggles with ochem anyways?:confused:

Possibly more damaging than an unrelated course but definitely less damaging than a prereq, assuming that "bad grade" means a 'C'. If you actually fail a course, I don't imagine schools would look favorably on that, but I don't know the weight of the consequences either. Your overall math and science GPA (one of the GPAs that PTCAS calculates) may take a minor hit, but you should be just fine as long as you did well elsewhere. Isn't it a given that everyone struggles with ochem anyways?:confused:

That sums it up pretty well. I have a bad grade in Org Chem too. After that I switched from Pre-med to Pre-PT.