Dr. Berwick and Health Care Reform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePimpDoc

Pimping in yo' 'hood
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know when the health care law is brought up on this forum or some other political forums, passions run high and name-calling ensues. This is not the purpose of this thread. Whether you are a republican or democrat or independent, I just want a honest, respectful discussion of the questions I'm about to ask please:

Considering the new health care reform (or better still, health insurance reform), what route do you think the gov't should have taken to better address the health care debacle to address physician concerns (with respect to pay and work hours) and overall patient care? I understand that it's definitely gonna lead to rationing (how severe it's gonna be, that we would have to wait and see), how should this problem be addressed? Should "nana" that is 80+ years old be left on life-support while you (as a doc) know that she's clinically dead but have to oblige her family?

Regarding Dr. Berwick, what do you think of the man? How would you have him address the medicaid/medicare problem? Do you think he's the best man for the job?

Members don't see this ad.

I know when the health care law is brought up on this forum or some other political forums, passions run high and name-calling ensues. This is not the purpose of this thread. Whether you are a republican or democrat or independent, I just want a honest, respectful discussion of the questions I'm about to ask please:

Considering the new health care reform (or better still, health insurance reform), what route do you think the gov't should have taken to better address the health care debacle to address physician concerns (with respect to pay and work hours) and overall patient care? I understand that it's definitely gonna lead to rationing (how severe it's gonna be, that we would have to wait and see), how should this problem be addressed? Should "nana" that is 80+ years old be left on life-support while you (as a doc) know that she's clinically dead but have to oblige her family?

Regarding Dr. Berwick, what do you think of the man? How would you have him address the medicaid/medicare problem? Do you think he's the best man for the job?

Until we confront the reality that we live in a world restrained by scarcity no progress will be made on the matter of the distribution and delivery of any good or service, including healthcare. Given this unyielding constraint we are only left with imperfect options; goods and services must be rationed in some form or fashion and there will always be some who benefit greatly and others who do not (even to the point of being unduly punished) irrespective of the system employed.

Re: Berwick: He sucks and I have thus far been unable to find a single redeeming quality in his character or convictions. Next question?

Thanks MOHS!
I don't think the health care reform law addresses most of the core issues that are pertinent to solving America's health care debacle, but having something to start with (like the health care law, no matter its flaws) could help foster debate and better solutions as long as people (mostly doctors and health care practitioners) are willing to discuss how the practice of medicine or health care delivery will be impacted in the next couple decades. I believe leaving this issue mostly in the hands of politicians has been the root of the problem.
As far as I'm concerned, maintaining the status quo is a non-starter. America is broke, better methods of health care delivery need to be established, including to some extent, rationing.

too bad we dont have a LAWYER FEE reform, cut all of congress and presidential salaries down, cap lawyer fees and "reimbursement".

you need an attorney for anything, its 600 to start. who has that kind of money.... shouldn't we have the right to free representation for legal matters as well?

wait no, that would be crazy....