Dr. Collins for June PCAT - How representative was it of the real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flurm

Flowing
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who used Dr. Collins and actually took the June '09 PCAT, how representative was it in the following specific subtests?

1. BIO
2. QUANT
3. CHEM

I took the June PCAT myself, but used Kaplans, which was way overkill for me. I am now studying with Dr. Collins for Aug PCAT. So far, based on what little I remember from the June PCAT, it seems like the QUANT is pretty representative of the real thing. As for the other sections, too much of a blur to remember.... hence the post to find out what you all have to say.

Thanks!

ADDED 08/15/2009:
Wow. I am finding out that telling others that one has already taken the PCAT is just like asking to be bombarded with emails asking what specific questions from Dr. Collins showed up on the real PCAT. Folks, not to be harsh, but please try to keep this thread on topic.

For this post, representative is defined as:
The materials in Dr. Collins vs. the actual PCAT were similar in content and difficulty. I am not interested in specific/exact questions.... just general content and difficulty.

AND/OR:
You studied for the June PCAT with Dr. Collins and you felt that it prepared you for the real thing (just another way of saying it was "representative").

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did the June pcat had geometry.? Specifically what was on the june pcat that you studied from Dr. Colllins. I have Dr. Collins ( got it from someone), so i have the last update which is january 09. And Dr. Collins has a lot of geometry. Should I just skip geometry then.

flurm i was wondering the same thing..i havnt takin the pcat yet but am using dr collins to prepare for august..I'm worried about bio because i feel like dr collins doesnt cover enough material. Yes theres 8 practice tests but there are a ton of repeat questions on each test

Did the June pcat had geometry.?
Like I said, it was a blur, but no, I do not remember seeing geometry on there. There were, however, problems involving basic trig/trig functions.

Specifically what was on the june pcat that you studied from Dr. Colllins.
I've received a few PMs already asking me what specific questions on Dr. Collins appeared on the real PCAT. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, too, but if it is.... Perhaps I should clarify my original post. When I said that Dr. Collins QUANT was representative of the real thing, I meant, in general, that the problems were similar in content and difficulty. In other words, I felt it was alot of the same TYPES of questions, not necessarily EXACT questions. As for exact questions.... I have no idea. I took the exam a while back and I just can't remember. I would have had to have gone through Dr. Collins right after the real PCAT to do that, which I didn't.

so i have the last update which is january 09. And Dr. Collins has a lot of geometry. Should I just skip geometry then.
To the best of my recollection, there was no geometry on the real thing other than basic trig. I have also read/heard that geometry is no longer on the PCAT (other than trig). BTW, the most recent update that I know of is June 2009.

Members don't see this ad :)
flurm i was wondering the same thing..i havnt takin the pcat yet but am using dr collins to prepare for august..I'm worried about bio because i feel like dr collins doesnt cover enough material. Yes theres 8 practice tests but there are a ton of repeat questions on each test
Please re-read my original post. I don't remember about the other sections, which is why I started the thread in the first place. Otherwise, please refer to my response to coolboy16. Hope that helps.

Wow again. Apparently, this post really upset one particular user here. Hey, I am not here to cause problems, I only wanted to help and contribute. In a nutshell, the PM I cut and pasted into the post said that the questions from Dr. Collins BIO and VERBAL in January were representative of the PCAT at that time. The PM went on to say that this is now less so and that the test makers have added many new questions (at least to BIO). I am not sure how posting about how Dr. Collins or the PCAT used to be is detrimental, but hey, you're entitled to your opnion.

So here is the new, censored version (not that it's of much use this way):

>>>
>>>
Here is a PM I received a few days ago. Although this person took the Jan PCAT and not the June PCAT, I felt the information may still be helpful in some way. Since it was a private message, the author has been left anonymous.

08/15/2009, by Anonymous:
i took the january pcat and i believe that #$% of my verbal section is covered in this book, and #$% of my biology questions were covered in this book. !@#!@ $ #^#$ #$% %# %#$% #$% %$. few questions were %^% $%#$%, but the answer helped you %$%^$ %#$%$ %%$%$# ^*&^ $%#$ %. i heard the june pcat was different, because they added many new questions, so i think the august pcat will be the same as june. %^ %$# %$#&#$% ^%$ ^$%%^ %^$ ((&$ from collin. i am hoping to see more than that.

Last edited:
yeah man....lets hope the exam is more like the January Pcat.....:laugh:.....Coz am studying only from Dr. Collins...:cool: