dr cuts or others,please help me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idli

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an IMG wanting an H-1 for residency.Have a 239[97] and 244[93] grade in step 1 and 2 respectively.Am a fresh graduate and have no US clinical experience or reasearch experience though am planning to join an observership shortly.Am interested in rads but have no US LoRS,research etc..In short nth apart from my scores and an added H-1 requirement.Does it still make sense to apply for rads.I will be applying to NY-NJ-CT-PA area.In any case,I guess I should have backup plans.But if I am applying to a prelim med[for rads] and a categorical med in the same program,this seemingly can decrease my chances for both as the PD for both is the same and he'll doubt my interest in either etc..And since I want to remain on east coast due to family reasons,if I divide programs among prelim and categorical on east coast,that decreases the no. in each..Please guide me whether I should still apply for prelim med as I honestly like rads or go only for categorical IM and try matching next year after improving my CV with somethings..And if yes,is there any way of applying to prelim med and categorical med in the same program without jeopardizing one's chances for either as we do while applying to say paeds and IM at the same hospital??
Thanks a lot..I am very confused.A little of your time and advice will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO your chances for matching Radiology this year are relatively low. Your scores are good but your H-1 requirement and geographic restrictions really limit you. That said, I would still apply -- expect the worst and hope for the best.

Why can't you apply to Categorical and Prelim IM at the same program? I mean theoretically you could like an IM program so much that even if you wouldn't match Categorical there you would still take Prelim right (wink, wink)? I think that's the message you have to send out as an explanation (if asked) as to why you applied to both. Or is my logic flawed?

Hope this helps... good luck!

thanks a lot dr cuts for your reply.
God Bless

Members don't see this ad :)
My first post here, but I had to wish you luck with your application. For what it is worth, I am also an IMG, interested in radiology. NZ medical grad, no US clinical experience and a score of 248/99 on the boards.

I have decided to cast my net as wide as I could.. and have had mixed responses when I approached radiology programs. I would have preferred to stay on the west coast for family reasons, but ultimately we are talking about your future career here. Perhaps it would be worth weighing the inconvenience of moving to, say, the midwest versus doing a residency you are not really interested in. Also, I'm not so sure that your chances would be that much better the following year. Remember that IMG will always be behind your name. The battle to find a spot will continue, in my opinion.

Try New Mexico and Texas also....they told me I was a very competitive candidate, despite the FMG or IMG curse.

Good luck and congrats on your board scores.

:clap:

Originally posted by Kiwi MD
Also, I'm not so sure that your chances would be that much better the following year. Remember that IMG will always be behind your name. The battle to find a spot will continue, in my opinion.

Try New Mexico and Texas also....they told me I was a very competitive candidate, despite the FMG or IMG curse.

Good luck and congrats on your board scores.

:clap:

I disagree with the IMG curse in regards to applying for Rads after your PGY-1 year. Once you finish a prelim med/surg or transitional year...you're on the same playing field as anyone else. They wont care where you graduated from. Whats more important for them is now that you've gone through a certified residency training program atleast for one year. Providing you have good LORS from your intern year [perhaps one or two from the rads program (assuming you can get your prelim year at a location where they have rads residency as well)] and maybe even finish step 3, you might have a decent chance. I know nothing is gauranteed but I doubt your chances will be worse than when applying as an IMG straight out of med school.

i am not giving up:)
thanks for the encouragement