Dr Cuts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hndrx1a

electric medical haze
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, Dr.Cuts...How's the prelim residency going? :cool: :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Surprisingly... it's not too bad at all. I mean sure, I've had a couple rough days, but all and all things are going pretty smoothly so far. And this Eternal Medicine thing isn't as terrible as it's made out to be... an average non-call day is from 7am to around 3-4pm, all the seniors are really nice & helpful, we have a great PD and teaching faculty, and the majority of the Attendings I've delt with thus far are quite nice and personable.

One thing's for sure though... I am VERY grateful for the 80 hour laws! I didn't think they'd make much of a difference but at my program overnight call has been reduced from Q4 to an average of Q8... and that is a significant difference in what kind of a life you lead during your internship year... I actually have a life this way. For example tight me and a few other interns are going out to some snazzy pharmaceutical company-sponsored dinner :).

After being demeaned by nurses for 2 years as a med student, it's nice to actually get some respect now... and at my program we get that. As a Prelim I get 7 months of floor (call months), 1 month of Night Float (9-9 M-F), and 4 months of electives... much like some of the "more demanding" TYs out there.

All that's fine and dandy I suppose... but I still can't wait for next year... Rads rules :D!!!

Cool dude! I'm happy things are rolling along great for you, i've been following your threads for quite a while...settle this for me:
has where you went to school come up at all ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our group of medicine interns is about 1/2 U.S. grads and 1/2 IMGs. It's only when people find out I'm prelim heading for Rads that they ask me where I went to school. When I tell them I graduated from the Caribbean most of them are quite surprised. Just yesterday I told someone this and she nodded her head in approval and said "Nice... good for you" :).

Thanks for the reply Cuts, it's been a long road for me, hopefully, I'll be doing a prelim in near future- followed by Anesthesia(oops wrong site e:D)...

Dr. Cuts I got a 242 on step 1 and am ranked in the top 10 at my school, can I match at acgme rads?

sorry, didn't mention I am a D.O. What do you think my chances of matching are?

Originally posted by dochuffman
What do you think my chances of matching are?

As long as you're flexible as to where you'll go I think your chances are excellent. Apply early and widely and interview well--I'm sure you'll match. Good luck!

txrad,

Those #s look great... I hope they stay that way... for all of us.

I hope y'all don't think I went into Rads soley for the money b/c that's not the case. Off the top of my head here are the reasons I want to be a Radiologist when I grow up (in rough order of importance):

1) lifestyle is good - I have lots of outside interests that I want to pursue--business, writing, philanthropy to name a few; before I even started thinking about what residency I wanted to train in, I excluded any that afforded one litte time off (either during residency or thereafter) ie. anything surgical, Cards, GI, etc.

2) intellectual stimulation - I think too much of medicine nowadays is simple pattern recognition ("diagnosis") and algorithm memorization and execution ("treatment"); I don't want to do something that I believe a very advanced computer program could do

3) limited direct patient contact - Call me heartless, but I'm not a big fan of dealing with patients directly--I'd rather not go prodding around patients' bodies where the sun doesn't shine for the next 40 years--and I don't want to be their doctor and their shrink, their social worker, their confidant, etc. either. Some people like this aspect of medicine--I say let them do it.

4) technology - The technological wizzardry involved in the field of Radiology -- now and in the future -- is incredible, and unmatched by any other field IMHO. I'm a techie geek I admit it.

5) salary - The money's phenomenal now there's no doubt about it. But as long as it stays >100K/year and all the aforementioned factors remain unchanged, I'll be a happy man... seriously.

Not a day goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars for having matched Radiology... I'm gonna give it my all...

Hey,

Same here. It's hopeful for the future of our specialty that fresh young minds such as you are out there. I agree with everything you mentioned, except may be in a little different order. For me, limited patient contact was number one. The others came later. By the end of my third year in med school, by method of elimination, radiology was the only choice left for me. The other 4 points you mentioned weren't bad, either.

To me, it is completely OK to make a lot of money (versus little money),as long as you do what you love and at the same time helping others. Best wishes...

So Dr.Cuts,

How's married life treating ya?!

I remember this guy when I was a med student under a different account name. He was super-excited about radiology.

I am also interested to see how he is doing.